Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rosenhaus has guaranteed Owens a new contract

bpoch

Originally posted by Westbrook36

I seriously hope they give him more money upfront. Simply because his contract is so backloaded that the Eagles have several cheap "outs" after the 06 season.

Giving him more money upfront and reducing some of the back years will give both sides more security that Owens will be there beyond 06.

What's this? The Eagles gave him a backloaded contract? Is this the only way they can afford to keep players? From a thread not too long ago.

He's not worth the ridiculous backloaded deal Snyder signed him to so who's fault is it when he goes!?!?! :doh:

If the only way Snyder can afford players is to give them pittens up front and cut them when their cap number becomes too high, even though you'd like to keep them, WHAT EXACTLY DO WE CALL THAT, BOYS AND GIRLS!?!?! :doh: :doh: [/quote

Originally posted by Park City Skins

What's this? The Eagles gave him a backloaded contract? Is this the only way they can afford to keep players? From a thread not too long ago.

He's not worth the ridiculous backloaded deal Snyder signed him to so who's fault is it when he goes!?!?! :doh:

If the only way Snyder can afford players is to give them pittens up front and cut them when their cap number becomes too high, even though you'd like to keep them, WHAT EXACTLY DO WE CALL THAT, BOYS AND GIRLS!?!?! :doh: :doh: [/quote [/b]

You should really practice using code, PCS....you are always messing it up.

Anyway, I digress.....the Eagles gave Owens a backloaded deal with huge roster bonus's vice one big signing bonus because they wanted to have outs with him in case the deal didn't work out between the two parties (ie Owens behavior in SF resurfaced).

So, to answer the question, the difference in the two situations is the Eagles didn't do it for financial reasons while Snyder does it each and every time for financial reasons.

Originally posted by jpgirth

Are you that naive to believe he was firing his "family" and hiring Rosenhaus for fun:laugh:

I knew the reason, I just said nothing has been said yet that supported it. I was merely argueing semantics at the time with people who were saying definitively what was happening.

Anyway, I digress.....the Eagles gave Owens a backloaded deal with huge roster bonus's vice one big signing bonus because they wanted to have outs with him in case the deal didn't work out between the two parties (ie Owens behavior in SF resurfaced).

So, to answer the question, the difference in the two situations is the Eagles didn't do it for financial reasons while Snyder does it each and every time for financial reasons.

Consistancy. Practice it. :rolleyes:

So why did they do it in Kearse's case. In case the injuries pop up. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Fred Jones

The Eagles owe some of their success last year to him and will not repeat without him next year. I am not saying he will hold out, but he is one of the best in the game and did energize their team last year. He is just asking for what he thinks he is worth.

I hate it when players try and use that argument. So if he sucked last year would he return money because he didn't play as well as his salary?

He's getting paid plenty. What a selfish A-hole.

Outs meaning the Eagles can walk away from Owens (ie cut him) without taking a huge salary cap hit because of the use of roster bonus's vice signing bonus as guaranteed money.

-Note- I know he recieved a signing bonus but the Eagles used roster bonus's in addition to give themselves every opportunity to walk away from the Terrell Owens experiment if it went wrong.

I love it...

philthy fans singing his praises all last year... "TO This, TO That" "He's Great" "We Love Him" "No Attitude Problem"

:rolleyes:

Now TO wants a new contract.... :)

Philthy fans... sprinkle garlic on your toes, they'll taste better when your foot is in your mouth :laugh:

Outs meaning the Eagles can walk away from Owens (ie cut him) without taking a huge salary cap hit because of the use of roster bonus's vice signing bonus as guaranteed money.

-Note- I know he recieved a signing bonus but the Eagles used roster bonus's in addition to give themselves every opportunity to walk away from the Terrell Owens experiment if it went wrong.

In other words, the outs are for financial reasons.

Originally posted by Park City Skins

In other words, the outs are for financial reasons.

If Owens became a personality problem, there wouldn't be a large contract holding the Eagles back from cutting him.

In my opinion, the outs are put in the contract to guard for the worst case scenario.....that Owens becomes unmanagable in Philly.

If the Eagles gave him lets say a 20 million dollar signing bonus, they simply wouldn't be able to cut him and absorb that hit.

The way this differs from normal players and contracts is the fact that the usual reason you want to cut ties from a player is simply their play isn't commensurate with their level of play anymore.

If the Eagles cut ties with Owens, it would be for another reason.

If Owens became a personality problem, there wouldn't be a large contract holding the Eagles back from cutting him.

In my opinion, the outs are put in the contract to guard for the worst case scenario.....that Owens becomes unmanagable in Philly.

If the Eagles gave him lets say a 20 million dollar signing bonus, they simply wouldn't be able to cut him and absorb that hit.

The way this differs from normal players and contracts is the fact that the usual reason you want to cut ties from a player is simply their play isn't commensurate with their level of play anymore.

If the Eagles cut ties with Owens, it would be for another reason.

All sarcasm aside Westbrook, and for my part this is my opinion as well, I still see this a a fundamentally financial decision. The are protecting themselves financially no matter what. I thin it has to do more with TO, no matter how good a shape he is in, being 31 years old and being 34 0r 35 when the money expands. The Eagles, base on recent develpments, are running into the same problem almost any other team in the league do, and that's backloading contracts, no matter what the reason or how it's done. Rosenhaus wouldn't be taking the hard stance if this wasn't true in my opinion.

So what you are saying is that the Eagles will keep TO until he is 37-38 even though he will be a major cap hit by then. Right? Otherwise they are doing the same thing every other team does when they backload a contract.

Archived