Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Nunyo Files -- Factual errors and other mistakes from Nunyo.

Art

Originally posted by E-Dog Night

And it all looks like Snyder's fault, especially when he fires the HC mid-season while the team had a chance to make the playoffs.

Ya know what, I'll bet that's when it started. I remember the Post running a story about Snyder & Turner agruing in the hallway or concourse or somewhere public about the performance of the team in Dallas & Norv's job being threatened in public & all that stuff. It hasn't been right between the two since. That was right after we lost in Dallas & later that week (Wednesday?), they announced that Norv had been fired...?

His early stuff revealed a lack of sourcing and somewhat troubling journalism at its base. Whole reaches within stories written with no sources at all, even hinted at. Nunyo subscribes to the school of journalism that says your beat is your adversary. Believe nothing. Work the edges. Compel them to pay attention to you by GETTING the story elsewhere and making them give you the rest.

Of course, this works in government, but not on a team that keeps important stuff very close to the vest.

Not germane to this thread, or to "FedEx Field" for that matter, but that is freakin' hilarious. Nice, Art. :laugh:

Art, this info you are telling us is fascinating. I have noticed, I think that the Times has broken some more stories lately. Is this b/c of the mess with the Post? Do you ever forsee a time when the Skins FO steps in and does something radical like you mentioned a few posts back, with essentially supressing info from the Post, and controlling who gets to break the stories? If that happened, would they fear at all the vitreol that would then spew from the Post? Lots of questions, sorry, but I am very interested in this.

1) The Washington Post is not just a local paper. It is availible, in print, nationally. I would think that they would be embarrassed to have such shoddy reporting done on a regular basis.

2a) If someone does have a job and needs some help/training/a few chances to correct mistakes, then they should, by all means, be given those chances.

2b) However, there must be a point where the inaccuracies et. al. reach critical mass. No one likes to see someone lose their job, (and I am not advocating anything) but what about the person who does NOT have a job, and could do better work? Do they not deserve a shot?

3) This board carries weight. About 2lbs.

Finally just read this thread. Some of the errors in the initial post are pretty petty, meaning they might have been made prematurely as what was expected to happen(i.e. the Coles trade that was initially going to be a release), but man, some of those are really bad. Gardner being a third year player??? wtf?

Interesting Stuff Art and I'm sure you'll be shocked to hear I've been on this same kick for a while myself. It came to a boiling point with me over the Coles articles stating he'd be released when that never made an ounce of sense.

We had enough of a ruckus about it over at CPND that we had Tandler contact Nunyo for an official quote.

His response was appalling but not out of tune with the rest of his track record.

He ackowledged blowing the details of the story and not getting a single quote from any of the primaries involved. They all either told him "no comment" or "Talk to Gibbs" yet he never did get commentary from Gibbs. After being asked about the innacuracies and lack of homework this was his response....

"Such a scenario may render the “semantics of my story” incorrect, said Demasio, but “the bottom line is the Coles will not be a Redskin in 2005. I’m comfortable with what I wrote. I’m a skeptical reporter and I checked this one out as thoroughly as I’ve ever checked anything out.”

If that doesn't speak volumes about his ethics, professionalism and character I don't know what does. He's comfortable with being wrong in all kinds of details as long as the spirit of the story is right. Never mind he had to post a correction the next day stating they might trade him, NOT release him.

The mere fact that he basically got zero relevant quotes on the story but considered that to be reflective of him being as thorough as he's ever been should be enough for red flags to be going up all over the place at The Post.

It's absolutely inexcusable.

Originally posted by beastman

Finally just read this thread. Some of the errors in the initial post are pretty petty, meaning they might have been made prematurely as what was expected to happen(i.e. the Coles trade that was initially going to be a release), but man, some of those are really bad. Gardner being a third year player??? wtf?

There's nothing petty about pointing out Nunyo got the Coles release wrong. That's a pretty big miss on his part. A couple of the other mentions were petty, like how big a cap hit it was, as that was just bad writing, rather than a true error of fact that hurt him there.

But, yeah, isn't it pretty surprising this highly knowledgeable guy you told us about at the Post makes errors like this? :).

Originally posted by CounterTre

Interesting Stuff Art and I'm sure you'll be shocked to hear I've been on this same kick for a while myself. It came to a boiling point with me over the Coles articles stating he'd be released when that never made an ounce of sense.

We had enough of a ruckus about it over at CPND that we had Tandler contact Nunyo for an official quote.

His response was appalling but not out of tune with the rest of his track record.

He ackowledged blowing the details of the story and not getting a single quote from any of the primaries involved. They all either told him "no comment" or "Talk to Gibbs" yet he never did get commentary from Gibbs. After being asked about the innacuracies and lack of homework this was his response....

"Such a scenario may render the “semantics of my story” incorrect, said Demasio, but “the bottom line is the Coles will not be a Redskin in 2005. I’m comfortable with what I wrote. I’m a skeptical reporter and I checked this one out as thoroughly as I’ve ever checked anything out.”

If that doesn't speak volumes about his ethics, professionalism and character I don't know what does. He's comfortable with being wrong in all kinds of details as long as the spirit of the story is right. Never mind he had to post a correction the next day stating they might trade him, NOT release him.

The mere fact that he basically got zero relevant quotes on the story but considered that to be reflective of him being as thorough as he's ever been should be enough for red flags to be going up all over the place at The Post.

It's absolutely inexcusable.

I hear you CT.

Nunyo's problem is the story he wrote could have been EXCELLENT if he'd JUST left it more open ended than he did. If he said the team intends to end its' relationship with Coles and NOT specifically mentioned the how of it, then he'd have a story. But, the story was something else because of how pointedly it was written and most people recognize that.

Nunyo doesn't. Which is a shame.

Nunyo will finally get it when he realizes that he's a sports writer not the editor in chief at The Inquirer. His job is to keep us up to date on all things Skins related. If I want juicy gossip, I'll type in profootballtalk.com into my browser.

He's got to know that everything he writes will be scrutinized, dissected, and examined by the passionate among us. He shouldn't expect anything less. The real question is whether he chooses to step up to the challenge or be apathetic about it. Ball's in your court, Nun.

Nunyo Files updated with factual errors in today's first revision. One other possible error is being researched now. Additionally, a question arose about why Nunyo wrote earlier in the final revision of the article that the appeal for Denver appears to be Andre Patterson, without any sourcing, while LATER in the same revision, indicating that sources said he told Gibbs he chose Denver because his family was more comfortable there.

Not sure why those sources are believed less than appearances, but, who knows.

These errors brought to you by others as I hadn't noticed them initially. Thanks guys.

Art.

• 4 weeks later...

I am trying to understand why Nunyo Dontknow is allowed to continue as the "official" beat writer. It seems that his rather "yellow" journalism has been a catalyst for several detrimental situations.

Am I misunderstanding one particular situation? Where the L. Coles controversy was directly enflamed by Nunyo's unnamed "sources." Did he not write something akin to a pseudo apology over this issue?

I mean you guys do not want him to lose his job... But, I think with his level of sensationalist journalism he needs to go. Am I out of line to suggest petition? :2cents:

• 3 weeks later...

Nunyo Files updated with new errors for April and the beginning of May.

Though we feel Nunyo has improved somewhat since his return to the beat, we don't want to neglect the errors in hope he continues to improve through such scrutiny.

First post of the thread has all updates.

Hmmm. Well, while I understand the technicallity here in keeping track of his factual errors, I'm trying to see if there is a way to include his entire story of the Redskins being interested in signing Freddie as one big factual error. ;)

Originally posted by CowboyzSuckAzz

Ya know what, I'll bet that's when it started. I remember the Post running a story about Snyder & Turner agruing in the hallway or concourse or somewhere public about the performance of the team in Dallas & Norv's job being threatened in public & all that stuff. It hasn't been right between the two since. That was right after we lost in Dallas & later that week (Wednesday?), they announced that Norv had been fired...?

norv's last game was vs. the giants when he had a 72 year old kicker attempt a 49 yd. fg to win the game. robiskies 1st game was against dallas.

Look, I work on a paper. While a lot of Nunyo's stuff is careless, a fair number of those "errors" were probably made by the layout person (i.e. "450,00" vs. "540,000"). Reporters go with the best information they have. This is not just a problem with Nunyo, but also with his editors, who don't bother to fact-check. Actually, Nunyo's a good writer, just not a good reporter. I used one of his leads in a workshop to teach our paper's writers what makes a good article.

The problem with the Freddie article was the title. The article itself didn't conclude that the Redskins had interest in Mitchell, but the title seemed to be suggesting it. I've heard that sometimes editors write the title so numbnuts may not have titled his article. Not that I would defend him mind you, but the standards that we hold for his accuracy should apply to our own.

On the subject of numbnuts though, Joe Gibbs apparently felt that his heart procedure was a personal matter. Somehow numbnuts uncovered it. He had to know that Joe wanted it kept private but went after the story anyway. As an isolated event it wouldn't mean that much, but with everything that has happened it just proves again that there is no love lost between these two. I really have to question whether this is the right job for numby. He should be put on the tail of politicians. Then he could play investigative reporter all day and no one would care.

Originally posted by NYSkins1

Look, I work on a paper. While a lot of Nunyo's stuff is careless, a fair number of those "errors" were probably made by the layout person (i.e. "450,00" vs. "540,000"). Reporters go with the best information they have. This is not just a problem with Nunyo, but also with his editors, who don't bother to fact-check. Actually, Nunyo's a good writer, just not a good reporter. I used one of his leads in a workshop to teach our paper's writers what makes a good article.

The error for 450,00 versus 540,000 was not made by the layout person, though the extra 0 was. Nunyo reported the wrong salary for Moss about 10 times before he finally processed the information he was wrong.

You are absolutely correct there is ALSO a problem with his editors -- they created the factual error on Burress as an example.

"On the subject of numbnuts though, Joe Gibbs apparently felt that his heart procedure was a personal matter. Somehow numbnuts uncovered it"

If he scooped the story than good for him. He should report it regardless of his and the papers relationship with the team. He seems to have gotten his facts right for this one. No one has taken him to task for reporting news. His job is to do just that, even if the team doesn't like it. With the Coles deal, for example, had he gotten the facts straight, then it would have been good reporting. It was getting the facts wrong that caused the problem and a possible decrease in Coles value.

Originally posted by stevenaa

"On the subject of numbnuts though, Joe Gibbs apparently felt that his heart procedure was a personal matter. Somehow numbnuts uncovered it"

If he scooped the story than good for him. He should report it regardless of his and the papers relationship with the team. He seems to have gotten his facts right for this one. No one has taken him to task for reporting news. His job is to do just that, even if the team doesn't like it.

I know, it's just that he seems to be on a mission to irritate the team. I wonder who was the source since just a few folks knew about it.

Originally posted by dviands

norv's last game was vs. the giants when he had a 72 year old kicker attempt a 49 yd. fg to win the game. robiskies 1st game was against dallas.

That's right. The argument in Dallas was the year before that, I believe. The years are starting to blend together. That's not good. :laugh:

Archived