Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN-Brown could hold out until next week

Taylor 36

I just got this off of ESPN.com Insider. I've not read any other posts about CB waiting until next week to make a decision. If this has already been posted, I apologize.

Mar. 21 - Defensive end Courtney Brown, who already has visited the Redskins and Broncos, arrived in Jacksonville on Sunday to visit the Jaguars, The Denver Post reports. Brown's decision to add the Jags to his list probably indicates he's not pleased with the incentive-laden offers from Washington and Denver, the Florida Times-Union speculates.

According to a report in Saturday's Washington Times, Brown, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2000 draft, is mulling his free agent options. Brown likely will take his decision at least into next week.

Originally posted by Taylor 36

Brown's decision to add the Jags to his list probably indicates he's not pleased with the incentive-laden offers from Washington and Denver, the Florida Times-Union speculates. [/color]

That's what I figured...for some reason he thinks he's not a gamble or something. Well, maybe Jacksonville will sign him to some big money contract and get burned again a la Hugh Douglas...

Originally posted by RonJeremy

ehhh....if the Skins get him for what they feel he is worth...great!

If he goes elsewhere....that's great too!

I am happy with who they have. Keep Griffin and Daniels healthy the d-line will be just fine!

I'm thinking Chris Clemons will have a monster year, kind of like Pierce did this year. When Daniels goes down again, he's going to step in and provide 8-10 sacks, IMHO...

Coupled with Lavar and Marcus's 20+, Griffin's 5-7, and Wynn's 2-4, Springs/Taylor/Harris's 8-10, we should have a nice pass rush next year. Hopefully a lot of sacks will lead to happy-feet which will lead to 6-10 picks for the hit man...

Brown is dreaming if he thinks anyone is going to pony up a host of guaranteed dollars to a guy that is still recovering from a very serious injury.

Brown's already made $27 million the past 5 years with Cleveland, one would think the guy's priority now would be to return to form and show what he can make of his career.

If he is all about the money then it is best we let him go to JAX or another team with a hole at DE.

Originally posted by bulldog

Brown is dreaming if he thinks anyone is going to pony up a host of guaranteed dollars to a guy that is still recovering from a very serious injury.

Brown's already made $27 million the past 5 years with Cleveland, one would think the guy's priority now would be to return to form and show what he can make of his career.

If he is all about the money then it is best we let him go to JAX or another team with a hole at DE.

I have no problem with offering him a monster contract...based heavily on incentives!! That's all he's worth, period. Let Jax overpay him...the Skins will be laughing all the way to the superbowl!!! :point2sky

Originally posted by scskin

At first I was okay with signing him, and I definately don't have a problem with a player shopping for the best deal, but not at our expense. I guess I am a fiscal conservative.

Good thing we aren't throwing tons of money at this guy!

Fiscal responsibility, is a trait we are not used to seeing from the Skins FO!!!!!

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/football/216950_hawk22.html

Seahawks Notebook: Brown to check out Hawks

Injury-prone DE, former top pick, to make surprise visit

By CLARE FARNSWORTH

SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER REPORTER

KIRKLAND -- Courtney Brown will visit the Seahawks after all.

The Seahawks expressed interest in the oft-injured and on-the-mend-again defensive end when the Cleveland Browns released him last week. But Brown, the first overall pick in the 2000 NFL draft, met first with the Washington Redskins and Denver Broncos and appeared headed to one of those teams.

Today, however, he will check out the Seahawks, and vice versa.

There is a lot to like about Brown, but just as much reason to be concerned. He has missed 33 games in the past four seasons and ended each on injured reserve.

In 2001 it was an ankle. In 2002 it was a knee. The next season, it was a biceps muscle. Last season, it was a left foot sprain that cost him 14 games.

He continues to rehabilitate that injury, the same one that cost Seahawks linebacker Chad Brown eight games in 2002.

When healthy, however, Courtney Brown is a 6-foot-4, 280-pound bundle of explosiveness, agility and quickness.

The Seahawks will check him out, physically, while Brown gets a read on how he might be used in the scheme of defensive coordinator Ray Rhodes -- and compensated for his contributions.

The deals offered by the Redskins and Broncos, according to league sources, are heavy on incentives that will pay Brown for production rather than potential.

Brown visited the Jacksonville Jaguars yesterday, and the Browns also would like him back. New Cleveland coach Romeo Crennel, the former defensive coordinator for the New England Patriots, envisions Brown playing a combination end/linebacker role -- but at a lot less than the $8 million he was scheduled to make this season.

The fact that Brown, 27, is willing to make the trek from Jacksonville to Seattle indicates that he still hasn't found what he's looking for.

Apparently Courtney thinks he is worth much more than anyone is willing to give him at this point. I sure hope we keep our heads and dont overpay for him. He would be a nice addition at the right price. It's just to risky with his history of injuries to give him alot of money and end up with a Coles like cap hit in two years.

Originally posted by jrockster77

I'm thinking Chris Clemons will have a monster year, kind of like Pierce did this year. When Daniels goes down again, he's going to step in and provide 8-10 sacks, IMHO...

Coupled with Lavar and Marcus's 20+, Griffin's 5-7, and Wynn's 2-4, Springs/Taylor/Harris's 8-10, we should have a nice pass rush next year. Hopefully a lot of sacks will lead to happy-feet which will lead to 6-10 picks for the hit man...

:doh: Chris Clemons is a Line Backer.

Originally posted by scskin

At first I was okay with signing him, and I definately don't have a problem with a player shopping for the best deal, but not at our expense. I guess I am a fiscal conservative.

That he's shopping still is evidence that we were prudent. If he wasn't shopping that would mean either he was stupid in which case I wouldn't want him or we were willing to overpay/take on risk. Unless your new employer is willing to pay too much for your services, you'd have to pretty stupid not to look elsewhere trying to find someone willing to take on the risk.

Archived