Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Patten or No Patten

jnova

Originally posted by jnova

i think that losing 2 major contributers on Defence that there is a major problem with this as for gardner i dont thnk that we should keep him. I heard something earlier posted about trading him and betts to arizona for boldin that would give us a very decent WR Core.

Okay, trade away our only other running back besides Portis who produced last year, trade him for another WR even though we have 5, and you don't approve of us not overpaying for players. That's it, did I miss anything?

:puke:

Patten is a good sign for sure. Why wouldn't you want a guy who's going to give it thier all(and has something to give). It will help push the other guys around him, and he brings in the winning attitude we all need. 3 rings in the last 4 years means guys will follow his lead.

I said to anyone who would listen when this offseason started that the Skins needed some veterans who have won in this league.

Who does anyone on our team have to lead them, really? We have a bunch of talented young guys who have had a ton of coaches and some pretty bad veteran leadership over the years(Bruce, Deon, Carrier, Trotter, etc.).

At the least, this should be helpful in that Patten has won three SB's and brings a mindset of un-selfish team first style of personality. Especiialy since we will have an unproven/young crop of wr's.

Originally posted by Califan007

Since Patten has no complaints or faults when it comes to speed, hands, route running, professionalism, attitude, leadership or teamwork, the only thing you can find fault with is that...what, he's 30 (soon to be 31)??...That's seriously your complaint??

Apparently, and he's not changing his mind.

Originally posted by jtyler42

Solid signing! He is a role-player not asked to come here and be a star, that is a proven deep threat and a locker room leader...

But, but...he's 30!!...No player in the NFL can offer anything of value to a team once they hit 30!! It makes no sense...!!

30!!!

Now..if he were, say, 29...then that would be an entirely different sit-chee-a-shun...:cool:

Im not saying that we can build a team on 26 year olds all im saying is that since washington SHOULD be in a rebuilding phase considering that we lost to "core" guys in Smoot and Pierce i dont see the logic in signing old ppl that will waste the cap space

Since when is 30 old? :kungfu: I'm just gettin' started. :D

i think that losing 2 major contributers on Defence that there is a major problem with this as for gardner i dont thnk that we should keep him. I heard something earlier posted about trading him and betts to arizona for boldin that would give us a very decent WR Core.

You heard something? Then it MUST be true. :laugh:

Honestly I dont know why were waisting money on these old players .

How soon we forget the over the hill gang. Also remember Riggins gained more yards after he was 30 than he gained before he was 30

this is a great pickup . . . he cannot even be plcaed in the same category of "a bad pickup" as Brunell. The most important factor of this whole thing is not that he's 30 . . . it is how much we got him for. Had we gave him an $8 mill signing bonus, and $43 mill over 8 year contract . . . then i could understand your argument. I'm not sure what the exact amount is, but I'm pretty sure we got him at a real decent price. If all we have are young players with potential and big contracts . . . we sure as hell are not going to mover forward. IMO there was not one "con" to signing Patten . . . even if we overextend $ on him, if he had a breakout year no one would care how much we paid for him. The problem in the past is that we have either paid players for what they have done for other teams, or we have overpaid players for potential. This signing makes the most sense from a salary cap perspective, a winning perspective, and yes . . . even a rebuilding perspective. Rebuilding does not mean drop all your old players for young inexpensive players. It means rebuilding a mentality, a philosophy and a tradition of conducting yourself as a business of high character, with high expectations of customer staisfaction while at the same time strengthening the tradition of the Redskins organization.

I don't think that Pierce was a major contirbutor. I think that he had an outstading year with us, and that he fit really well into Greg Williams scheme. However, I think that we all see that he IS not worth the money the Giants paid for him, and that other players (Barrow) will perform even better.

Lossing Smoot defenitly hurts more than either Coles or Pierce, but again I don't think that Smoot was worth the money he was paid either, but I feel that we will address this need in the draft.

Coles wasn't a Redskin guy so he wasn't a "core" guy, so I'm not even going to discuss him.

All I have left to say on this thread is:

:sucks:

I see nothing but good coming from the Patten signing.

Look, we can't be scared to sign some players because they are 30 or over. Yes, you can miss badly in cases like Brunell. However, Ray Brown at age 40-something (however old he is), came in and did a solid job.

Veterans with winning experience (I think 3 Super Bowl rings in 4 years qualifies for that) are very important if you're gonna have a team with a lot of young players.

I know not to trust anyone who spells like this guy. Aside from that, Patten's not an old guy. He's a veteran with speed, experience & brains. Signing him doesn't preclude us developing anyone. Football is too complicated for some people, I guess.

Originally posted by Leonard Washington

i see how he can help us, but are we trying to build a team with #2 and #3 wideouts? our passing game was mediocre enough last year. at least try to get some guys other teams are worryed about stopping.

I agree to an extent, but not all of the "big" name WR's who made their name's in the NFL were not 1st round draft choices. The majority of the #1 wideouts have made there names by their play on the field, and before that they were only known to have potential. It is not unreasonable to expect big plays from any of the WR's we have. not saying we don;t need more help, we just need to get away from the "name game" and start making our own names. One more quality WR and I think we have something to work with. Once our other "big names" start producting you will see a domino effect. Once our run game with Portis opens up, you will see the WR's have better chances to make plays. It doesn't always start with the "highlight players" and then work it's way down. We tried that with Deion, Bruce, etc. Personally I am all for the way Gibb's is doing it, starting wioth the trenches, and the run game and getting WR's that have specific characteristics to fit into his offensive gameplan, not just players who have a specific physique or height. Trust in Gibbs'. Hail to em'

Archived