Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

After the Gibbs press conference, now what do you think of Antonio Pierce?

The same thing I thought of him the moment he left:

I think he and Smoot both spoke too soon this season when they said they wanted to stay in Washington. They have wanted to get every last penny out of this coming contract from day 1.

And like I've said, that's fine, but then they shouldn't have publicly stated that they wanted to do what they could to stay in DC.

I think he knew they were both goners during the season. They took a chance and wound up with more money, but it was obvious he wanted to keep them and equally obvious he and Smoot were out for themselves and only themselve.

Other words, my opinion doesn't change at all... ;)

Nick

I'm sorry, and I know everyone will probably attack me for saying this, but I hope Smoot and Pierce fall flat on their faces. They are like the guys in baseball who sign with the Tigers and Royals, they just want the money. Deep down they knew they didn't want to stay here in Washington. Now I can look forward to yelling "traitor!!!" at the TV during Vikings and Giants games next season.

Originally posted by bobzmuda

Pierce wanted to be here about as much as Gibbs wanted to keep him. It's a two-way street.

True, but in smoots case, from what i understand through the press...the only big difference was a front end vs back end loaded contract....if thats the case and the dollars were that simliar, then you cant put that on the skins.....

But i cant blame the player...where smoot and AP supposed to come out and say they didnt want to be in DC....that not a good way to get on our good side....

i hope they both stay healthy but have lackluster seasons!

smoot and ap should understand --> :point2sky :helmet:

Gimme a break. How many people have we lured here with money? And we're getting pissed at guys leaving for the same reason? Loyalty isn't dead, but when you've been a losing organization for the past five years, and your Front Office opens up thevault for Free Agents from other teams, but takes hard-line stances with its own, why wouldn't a player take the money?

It's the environment we've fostered and it's choking us.

Originally posted by skinzfan4life

True, but in smoots case, from what i understand through the press...the only big difference was a front end vs back end loaded contract....if thats the case and the dollars were that simliar, then you cant put that on the skins.....

How many times are people going to have to post that the difference between front end and back end loaded contracts means EVERYTHING. It is the difference between seeing that money and not.

This isn't the NBA, NFL contracts are not guaranteed. You get the signing bonus and can reasonably expect to see the first couple years, the rest is pretty much BS.

Originally posted by Spear

Gimme a break. How many people have we lured here with money? And we're getting pissed at guys leaving for the same reason? Loyalty isn't dead, but when you've been a losing organization for the past five years, and your Front Office opens up thevault for Free Agents from other teams, but takes hard-line stances with its own, why wouldn't a player take the money?

Spear, my problem with that is two-fold:

1) I don't think anyone cares that Smoot or Pierce actually followed the money. I think it's irritating that they were both outspoken to the media about trying to do what they can to stay in DC. And as it turned out, they chose to go elsewhere for relatively small amounts of money.

2) Our Front Office didn't exactly take a hard-line stance with either of these guys. We offered them the second-highest amount of money they could have made this offseason (both of which seemed to be less than $1M under what the highest signing bonus was).

I guess I just got fed up with Smoot and Pierce talking it up but then jumping ship the second a better offer came along. :2cents:

I hated to see both Pierce and Smoot go - but von voyage to the two of them, time to move on. Walt Harris looks to be an excellent cover guy and we have plenty of depth in our linebacking core (assuming all are healthy by season start). We must pay for our past sins. I have faith that our coaches will adjust and we'll see another top ranked defense (top 3) plus a greatly improved offense with Ramsey = PLAYOFFS!

if im not mistaken, front loaded contracts also have greater cap ramifications. if the skins are, or are about to, take a shot to the pills over coles' trade, there'd be no way to = the minny offer.

i believe thats the skinny with brunells deal, its front loaded, and makes him virtually untradeable/uncutable his first couple seasons.

then again, what does that say about the player who "demands" a front loaded contract WITH a sizeable bonus?

but, whatever, theyre both gone and i dont care too much either way.

otoh, mr coles.....

i wouldnt feel too bad if he gets his wish, and the jets center their entire offense around him. then, while playing the skins, mr coles has a little meeting down the middle with mr taylor.

Pierce wanted to be here about as much as Gibbs wanted to keep him. It's a two-way street.

I'll be rooting for Pierce and Smoot.

not true.

NO matter how badly GIbbs wanted him, we are limited by a Salary Cap.

I hated to see both Pierce and Smoot go - but von voyage to the two of them, time to move on. Walt Harris looks to be an excellent cover guy and we have plenty of depth in our linebacking core (assuming all are healthy by season start). We must pay for our past sins. I have faith that our coaches will adjust and we'll see another top ranked defense (top 3) plus a greatly improved offense with Ramsey = PLAYOFFS!

I'll be rooting for Pierce and Smoot.

Me too .. when they play Girls and Iggles.

Originally posted by Spear

:notworthy Couldn't have said it any better bro. :notworthy

Archived