Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Brunell places second in the NFL Pro Bowl skills competition?

flexxskins

Originally posted by Danny Montana

Are you sure this wasn't a Senior NFL QB Challenge, like the Senior PGA Tour?

I could see Brunell beating out the likes of Boomer Esiason and Jim Kelly at this point, but even that's not a lock. :laugh:

Bet you wouldn't say that to his face :) I'm guessing the senior citizen could mop the floor with you ;)

I really don't understand the hatred, whether its followed by a smilie, or not.

The guy did the best he could under a lot of pressure. Some of us better think hard about how we're going to root for the Redskins if Ramsey goes down. Because if you think Tim Hasselback is going to be the man under those circumstances, you'd better think again.

He struggled. It happens. He isn't the anti-Christ. Give him a break. You're not suffering at his hands at the present. Count yourself lucky and stop kicking a dead horse.

The biggest problem I had with Brunell was that he has become a little gun shy. I agree that any QB coming to a new team and system will struggle. I also don't blame Brunell for all the offensive trouble the team had last year. However, it just seems he lost his edge. His duck and cover act can not be excused by injuries or poor play by the receivers and the Oline.

I respect Brunell as a person, however, and like the way he carries himself. I don't understand the hate either. Gibbs should be blamed for bringing him in here and giving him that big contract.

That said, I would like to see an open competition for the #2 spot during training camp and select the best QB as the first one off the bench. I don't think that is going to happen, but I would like to see it.

Originally posted by Tarhog

Bet you wouldn't say that to his face :) I'm guessing the senior citizen could mop the floor with you ;)

Um, I'm pretty sure Brunell is a "turn the other cheek" kind of guy. Call it a hunch. ;)

And I don't think it's so unreasonable for fans to still be somewhat bitter over the Brunell situation. It wasn't just that he sucked on the field for us, it's that we continue to feel the sting of his signing this offseason.

Um, I'm pretty sure Brunell is a "turn the other cheek" kind of guy. Call it a hunch. ;)

And I don't think it's so unreasonable for fans to still be somewhat bitter over the Brunell situation. It wasn't just that he sucked on the field for us, it's that we continue to feel the sting of his signing this offseason.

Then blame the guy who went after him and agreed to the deal. I'm pretty sure he's a 'turn the other cheek' kind of a guy.

Call it a hunch. :)

Originally posted by Tarhog

I really don't understand the hatred, whether its followed by a smilie, or not.

The guy did the best he could under a lot of pressure. Some of us better think hard about how we're going to root for the Redskins if Ramsey goes down. Because if you think Tim Hasselback is going to be the man under those circumstances, you'd better think again.

He struggled. It happens. He isn't the anti-Christ. Give him a break. You're not suffering at his hands at the present. Count yourself lucky and stop kicking a dead horse.

Some of the jokes were actually kinda funny man. There are alot more people who feel alot more animosity towards Brunell's play other than Danny Montana. There have been alot more harsh things said about him. Would Brunell mop the floor with all of them? The guy did play pretty bad; bad enough for coach to replace him. And this is where fans come to talk about just how bad they thought that he played. I think your taking peoples opinion about Brunell's play a little too personally. You're not Brunell, are you?:laugh:

Originally posted by CHUBAKAH

Man Flex, you sure go this one wrong. This was last years show.

For all of you Brunell haters, can you explain to me what it is that Ramsey did that was so much better? I'm still at a loss to figure this out?

Chubakah's right.. I remember watching this last summer after the signing. Another point is this years competition.... well hasn't happened yet, usually mid to late July. Most certainly AFTER all the FA and Draft, as invitations are given to those viewed as team starters

But as for what Ramsey did that Brunell didn't? Got the ball to the receivers! I'm not a Brunell hater, and actually was backing him right until dumped, but now that that season is over, well you just have to admit that more balls were caught after Ramsey took over at the helm. They weren't long, they were rarely amazing, but they WERE caught more often. Maybe it was only chemistry, or just a change of pace.. but it is what he did.

He also managed to lead the team to the first 21+ point game of the season, and did it more then once, I'm sorry, but I have to lean to the side of the guy that got us over THAT hurdle.

But you asked

First let me say that I want Ramsey to stay our starter but as for Brunell, I think Gibbs may have been a reason why he played poorly. Gibbs basically told him not to try and make a play if nothing is there, just throw it away. It was obvious that got into his head after seeing all of those 3rd down passes flying 10 yards out of bounds. If for some reason Brunell would regain the starting job, let him do what hes done his whole career, use his mobility at least to make something out of nothing.

For all of you Brunell haters, can you explain to me what it is that Ramsey did that was so much better? I'm still at a loss to figure this out?

set his feet and threw a foward pass.

Led the Skins to a winning record over the last 5 games (3-2)...Brunell never had a winning record over any 5-game stretch...

Led the Skins offense to 21 points or more three times in seven starts...Brunell never did it even once in nine starts...

Had a 65% completion rate in 7 starts...Brunell had a 49% completion rate in 9 starts...

Never once threw for less than 100 yards in a game...Brunell did it three different times.

And on and on and on....

:rolleyes:

i've said it before on other threads and if i new how to post the links to them here i wouldn't have to say this one more time.

some of you can hate on Brunell all you want , but you all or should i say most of you all know what type of coach we have in Joe Gibbs. he believes in establised veterans , experienced players , look at teams past that JG has built . At that time JG felt MB was the Veteran QB that we needed to help turn this once proud franchise around and bring it back to respectability in the NFL . i like most of everyone on this site didn't like the money part of the deal Brunell recieved, but hey i'm not the Danny and i'm surely not Joe Gibbs.

Was Brunell the QB this past year the same as the one we saw in Jacksonville the past 10yrs? NO !! especially after the Giant's game. some on here keep saying he wasn't planting his feet when he was throwing and that is correct ,but when your playing injured on and pulled hamstring running around with no pass protection , makes it kinda hard to plant and throw . wouldn't ya think?? IMO the leg injury was far more serious then what JG felt he should let on . JG felt that Ramsey wasn't quite ready and Hasselback wasn't the answer at that time.

Now Ramsey is the starter and Brunell is the Backup ,God forbid nothing happens to PR this year , but if it does we'll have a healthy veteran QB to take over and run the ship until PR returns.

:2cents: :point2sky

Brunell would have had to play at least as well as the 10th-14th QB's in the league to be worth the kind of cash he received though.

Fact is, he was about the worst in every single category you could possibly evaluate a QB on. A lot of QB's change teams every year and a MOST of the good ones are still good after the switch. That wasn't the case with Brunell though.

He was straight garbage in 9 of 9 starts.

Originally posted by flexxskins

Some of the jokes were actually kinda funny man. There are alot more people who feel alot more animosity towards Brunell's play other than Danny Montana. There have been alot more harsh things said about him. Would Brunell mop the floor with all of them? The guy did play pretty bad; bad enough for coach to replace him. And this is where fans come to talk about just how bad they thought that he played. I think your taking peoples opinion about Brunell's play a little too personally. You're not Brunell, are you?:laugh:

I've trashed his play myself. I'm not blind. I just think theres a point beyond which theres no point in trashing the guy.

Thanks for telling me that this is where fans come to talk about just how bad they thought he played. I've been wondering what this board was about!

Um, some of you guys can't take a joke.

I didn't realize that critical comments about Brunell were off limits.

:rolleyes:

Post whatever you want. The critical comments aren't 'off limits', its just beating a dead horse. And just like everyone else here, if I see something I don't agree with, I'll say whatever I want to say. Just like you do :)

Brunell certainly was responsible for his play, but with the poor play of the offensive line, the inability of receivers to get open and the dropped balls, it's easy to see why he was 'gun-shy' towards the end of his stint.

It was obvious the he got a huge benefit of the doubt from the coaching staff, but even Bugel was publically showing his impatience at Brunell's last two appearances.

He could end up being valuable to us by the end of this season...most quarterbacks don't play every game.

:2cents:

Man, your absoluty right CHUBAKAH. But just watching Brunell throw the ball further than all those other quarterbacks blew my mind. What in the world could have happened in just one season?

Archived