Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pierced through the heart

Tae Bo

Time to assign some blame for the Antonio Pierce fiasco.

No I'm not looking to bash Snyder or Cerrato.

But the Antonio Pierce fiasco is a repurcussion of "The Future Is Now" mentality which has led to consistent turnover and chaos within the organization.

Coaches and Front Office people all have "their guys", these are the guys that they choose. If you stand two clones identical in every way, next to eachother, identical except that one player was on the roster when the coach got there and one player the coach selected himself, the player brought in by the coach would have an advantage as far as starting or making the team etc. even though it should be 50/50. Everyone wants to be right, and so we give ourselves every opportunity to be correct. We will push our limits as far as lying to ourselves goes, rationalizing away poor outcomes at the drop of a hat and sparking the faintest glimmer of hope into proof positive that we did indeed know what we were talking about.

And so when a team has a new coach every year, you will rarely see the development of a player come to fruition on that team. You don't usually get immediate results. The NFL rookie undergoes a maturation process that outlives the "rookie year". We and front office folks and coaches recognize this when it comes to high draft picks (usually) because we all want to give that player. in whom everyone saw so much potential, every opportunity to succeed. But the lower round guys, the guys that not "everyone" saw something in, they aren't afforded the same chance when the people that believed in them leave and are replaced by people who know next to nothing about the players.

If it wasn't for Joe Gibbs and Greg Williams, Antonio Pierce may well have been mired in obscurity. Well probably not, because his talent was evident every time he was given an opportunity, starting with his rookie year under Marty, and the Vikings wanted him. But Pierce wouldn't have gotten the huge payday, and he deserves it. And the shame is not that he ended up getting the big payday from another team, the shame is that we didn't use him more when he was here instead of bringing in guys like Armstead and Trotter and Barrow year after year. And the Antonio Pierce fiasco unfortunately is the result of constant change. Ironically it was change that buried him on the depth chart after his rookie year, and it was change that brought him back just in time to get too expensive and gobbled up by a division rival.

The silver lining is that there is a lesson to be learned and hopefully the mistakes of the past will be minimized as much as possible going forward.

he coulda got paid well here as well , i dont blame him for going but its clear he was gonna go where the money was , we cant pay what he got but we coulda paid well if not for barrow then hed be begging for a new deal here in DC but he got a chance , had a good year and now hes too good for us , oh well see ya later @$$

dang, he signed hours ago.

Spend all this time thinking up that snappy title?

look, its a business and another team came at him strong. A few mill in a big contract wouldn't make a difference to a NFLer, but they blew us out of the water.

Get over it and wish him well.

Maybe he'll bark fake calls for the giants next year and get a flag when playing us. That would be nifty.

Originally posted by Renegade7

He had so much B&G running thru his veins that he signed with a division rival. I won't miss him.

I agree that obviously he wasn't as diehard "core redskin" as everyone played him up to be...but I will still miss him. So much potential...

money does that to people though.

Ironically it was change that buried him on the depth chart after his rookie year, and it was change that brought him back just in time to get too expensive and gobbled up by a division rival.

The team could have afforded him. They chose not to pay him what the Giants did because they didn't feel he was worth it for the Defense. Same with Smoot, if that's ultimately what happens. How is that a fiasco? Let him go where the money is and the 'Skins will also move on.

Nick

That post made about as much sense as me rubbing my ass up against a cheese grater.

Pierce played well for one season. We may have felt that that wasn't enough for us to go head over heels in signing him. He;s a good player, and I wish him the best (unless of course it's against the 'Skins). But he still has a lot to prove. The Giants paid a lot for this Muffler, possibly too much, and we just didn't feel that we wanted to do that. Period!

He was here with us in the losing years. To bad he wont be here for the winning years that start this year. He will be though a continued loser because I dont see the Giants winning more than 7 games this year. Good Luck Pierce

I have already moved on concerning Pierce. I am now thinking who is going to be our MLB next year. Is Barrow going to make a comeback? Do we draft someone to fill the void? Does someone on our roster step up as Pierce did last year?

I Smoot is not signed I will move on as well, however, I hope we keep him.

Originally posted by Sweet Sassy Molassy

That post made about as much sense as me rubbing my ass up against a cheese grater.

Pierce played well for one season. We may have felt that that wasn't enough for us to go head over heels in signing him. He;s a good player, and I wish him the best (unless of course it's against the 'Skins). But he still has a lot to prove. The Giants paid a lot for this Muffler, possibly too much, and we just didn't feel that we wanted to do that. Period!

OK, one last point.

My argument is pretty straightforward here. If there hadn't been the annual turnover, he would have been given an opportunity to build on what he did his first year and we would have not been as "surprised" by what he did this year. The question of whether or not he was worth the gamble based on one year of production would have been moot.

Originally posted by Tae Bo

Its not really about Pierce. And yes, I have been sitting here to whole time thinking of snappy titles.

I think you're post is 100% true...some of the people here have blinders on when it comes to some of the things wrong with the organization, so are naturally upset whenever it is criticized.

But it is obvious when you examine a franchise like the Patriots, who's personnell strategy is pretty much the exact opposite of ours. Its been said a billion times, but there is a lot of truth in it.

Originally posted by Sweet Sassy Molassy

Actually, whenever he was on the field, he played well. The point of the post you are missing is that he never was given the chance to perform, because of the Dan's philosophy that the Skins are his personal fantasy football team.

Good work, Tae Bo.

At least Pierce didn't go to the Cowgirls...

The lesson to be learned from all of this is that the team needs to trust and train its core rather than go out and sign "quick-fix" free agents. Just think, if the Skins had gone into last season with the mentality that Pierce would be starting and not Barrow, then they wouldn't even have the contract burden of Barrow on the payroll and Pierce would be here. As things turned out, Pierce ended up being the starter anyway. Kind of the same principal as the Brunell signing. Sometime you have to trust what you've got...

You are right to an extent, but let's not forget that guys like Pierce, Marshall, Harris and Salave'a weren't even the coaches picks to start at the beginning of the year. THat says something.

I wasn't so much surprised at Pierce's performance, but the collection of the unit of former backups as a whole, working with career starters. THat is the key in this whole thing.

We may be in for more surprised this coming season. I'm thinking Clemons and a career journeyman or 2.....

Pierce wasn't even a MLB before this season...just an undrafted hardworker with potential as a depth OLB. Don't make it out like he was Singletary. He is living the NFL dream....like any defensive superbowl mvp....have a good year or game and get PAID. Can't fault him for it but don't act like Williams was on his knees and Danny said no.

Archived