Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gibbs Says Coles Trade Unlikely

HOF44

Originally posted by RWJ

It will be interesting to see what happens to Samuels if he doesn't renegotiate a new contract. My hopes are that we except the #22 for Coles. This way we get a player fresh out of college that can produce.

Did you know that Samuels Jersey is being sold for $29.99 at The Redskins store in Lake Forest mall?

I find it interesting that the Jets think he would be unhappy if they didn't restructure his deal. Sounds like he has a bad attitude, which is why they let him get away to begin with. However, I'd make him play his contract. A few wins will change his tune and he is an excellent receiver.

"According to a source familiar with the situation, the potential for a Coles-Moss trade has greatly diminished for an unspecified reason."

Maybe between OL 40 yard dashes, VC, DS and JG were cruising Extremeskins and realized how pissed off we'd all be if they'd have executed that trade without getting VALUE (a word Gibbs repeated about fourteen times)....

Another bonehead move rescued by the astute amateur-FO peeps at ES.com!

- FUF

Originally posted by FLSKINSFAN

Unfortunately, I guess we can expect to see Coles in a Redskins uniform for a while.

I dont get it? Why is this so "unfortunate"? Keep him...make him honor his contract...restructure Samuels...and make a splash in FA! We will be 10 million under (I believe) if Samuels restructures and we dont trade Coles! Sign Smoot and Pierce.

Originally posted by Zen-like Todd

The only thing that makes me want a Coles trade is the fact that it would go a long way towards cleaning up our 2006 cap situation. Other than that, I'm not interested in dumping him just because he's a whiney brat. I want picks and salary cap relief in return for a trade, period.

Exactly, he will only be here one more season, he won't be here for the roster bonus due in 2006.

Originally posted by BlindSideBlitz

Minnesota is 30+ million under the cap. We could give them coles and they could give us the #18 pick and have plenty of cap space to eat the 5 million. Then you know the would not pick a wr with the #7 pick and we could pick our wr at #9.

That would be perfect scenario.

Originally posted by heyholetsgogrant

What if he holds out?

If we keep him and he holds out, he will be charged daily for every day he holds out starting the day training camp starts.

Remember Duce Staley tried to pull that with the Eagles. - The more crap like that he pulls, the more his value as a player diminishes if he is serious about another team trading for him.

I don't want us to be stuck paying him the bonus, so him staying put is the best thing. I am sure we will sign Moss next year anyways. He has five years remaining on the contract, I don't understand why he wants an extension, unless he thinks there is more money to be made that way.

If I were the Redskins, the Vikings would be the first club I would contact. I'd offer:

Coles AND Samuels for #7 and McKinnie. The Redskins would then have #7 and #9 and could get Williams at #7 and trade the #9 down to accumulate additional 1st day picks. Twice if they have to... and then identify OL (Baas...Brown....Spencer)..... DL (Tuck...Roth.... Pollack).... and a corner.

Of course, the Vikes would have to take the $5m cap hit for Coles. They'd have a new wideout to replace Moss, a franchise LT.... and the #18 pick to go defense.

Originally posted by FedUpField

"According to a source familiar with the situation, the potential for a Coles-Moss trade has greatly diminished for an unspecified reason."

- FUF

Hey, don't be down on this -- last year, didn't the skins' talks with jim fassel break down for an "unspecified reason"

hmmm.... maybe there's something no one here is anticipating that's about to go down with this

In my crystal ball.....I wouldn't be suprised if the skins don't just say to Samuels, take it or leave it, and make him a cap casulty. Though I think he is talented....he did struggle in 2003 and came back to play at a pretty high level in 2004......but not to the degree that you pay him a premium......way I see it, you lost with him......at the very worst you will lose with out him, while not paying an excessive contract.

If Coles does come back and acts up during the season or off-season, just make him a June 1 2006 cut, and we could be in a great cap position in 2005 and 2006.

Originally posted by Cskin

If I were the Redskins, the Vikings would be the first club I would contact. I'd offer:

Coles AND Samuels for #7 and McKinnie. The Redskins would then have #7 and #9 and could get Williams at #7 and trade the #9 down to accumulate additional 1st day picks. Twice if they have to... and then identify OL (Baas...Brown....Spencer)..... DL (Tuck...Roth.... Pollack).... and a corner.

Of course, the Vikes would have to take the $5m cap hit for Coles. They'd have a new wideout to replace Moss, a franchise LT.... and the #18 pick to go defense.

I'd love that trade.

Originally posted by FLSKINSFAN

Because we have to keep a player making big money, who doesn't want to be here. That's not an ideal situation, especially if his heart isn't in it.

At least we can keep that "Core" together. That whats important. Coles will play hard for us next year...he's gone after it anyways!

I think this will all go down to the wire on Tuesday. There are at least two very serious games of chicken going on simultaneously:

1) Redskins and Samuels and

2) Redskins and Coles

In situation 1) Samuels has the edge and I guess we'll blink first. In situation 2) We have the edge and I guess Coles blinks first. We are going to have to probably overpay Samuels because he has us by the short ones. Once we do that deal then Coles will likely have to blink or see his situation worsen - by having to stay here or by having to go to an even worse situation (like Baltimore).

I would rather give up Coles for nothing and get cap relief than eat his SB and get a so-so player in exchange.

Coles wants the best of all worlds. - He wants to be traded AND get paid from every possible team he can. If he wants to go somewhere else, he has to be willing to work with us.

Archived