Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All-time Favorite Redskins Return Man

Ax

Originally posted by Park City Skins

Wow. Tough question. "Returm" man I'm not sure. ;) Return man, Nelms and BMitch. A tie.

( I'm going to get :slap: for that one).

I agree. Nelms was notorious for his leaping over defenders. I loved Nelms, but I also loved Mitchell because he was good & had an attitude.

All the love for Mitchell,, I never cared for him.

Granted he returned a bunch of kicks for scores, but almost every one came from a hole big enoiugh that anyone could score thru.

I remember those, but I also remember hundreds of times he got tackled by the kicker.

One move Brian. Just one is all I ever asked,, but if there was someone in the way,, even someone as insignificant as Bjorn Nitmo.. he could tackle Mitchell.

I also remember the numerous times he'd run one about 40 yards, then get up and cost us 15 yards by shooting off his mouth or doing something stupid like start a fight.

And frankly, for all the stuff he said when he left, he could retire an Eagle for all I care.

I'll take Nelms.

~Bang

Nelms for me, he would provide a great return and wouldn't get in a shoving match afterwards which resulted in a 15yd penalty like Mitchell would. As great as Mitchell was, he fell of my list of favorites after he started getting so many penalties for being a real a$$. IMHO, I thought he turned into a real jerk and I was excited to see him go.

I remember Nelms and had to vote for him. Mitchell was good, but I agree that more often than not - he went for the return right up the middle which usually got a solid amount of yards, but didn't really threaten to go all the way.

But honestly - nobody compares to Darrell Green. It really seemed like on those fortunate occasions when Gibbs put him back there - that there was about a 40% chance he was taking it to the house. Of course - on those 40% - there was a penalty for clipping or whatever bringing it back at least half the time - so it probably nets out at more like 15-20%.

Tough to argue with trying to keep Darrell healthy - because it worked pretty well with how long he played - but I always wished they let him return more punts. Because not only was he obviously the fastest guy out there (usually by far) - but he had great return moves too!

the stats say.. mitchell

nelms was tough and was part of the "glory days" but bmitch was tough as nails..never fumbled and always seemed to break a big return when we needed it..he was always the guy who was ready and willing to fight the entire opposing team and an all time smack talker...nelms cant carry his strap

1981. Joe Gibbs 1st season and my 1st trip to RFK.

We are 1-6 when Steve Grogan and the Patriots come to town. Second quarter and we are down 15-7.

My buds and I are sitting in the end zone watching the Pats punt. The ball is coming to Mike Nelms and we can see the cover man is going to arrive at the same time as the ball. We are screaming "Fair catch" because we know this isn't going to be pretty. The ball and the cover man arrive almost at the same time - bang bang. The cover man hits Nelms high around the shoulder pads and Mike shakes him off like a wet dog drying himself. Mike takes off through the stunned coverage. 75 yards later - Touchdown, Washington Redskins.

Mike Nelms IS my favorite return man. :point2sky

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Archived