Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All-time Favorite Redskins Return Man

Ax

With the impending return and retirement of Brian Mitchell, I realized, that while he had the best numbers of any return man as a Redskin, he is not my all-time favorite.

My favorite was Mike Nelms. Guy was totally fearless. Almost NEVER called for a fair catch.

So who's yours?

Originally posted by Ax

:cry: I'm sorry, (sniff) I really do try.

Oh sure. Now I'm the big meanie. ;)

Pull it together man. People are watching. :paranoid:

Here have one of these :pint: and the daily babe thread and you'll feel better.

Originally posted by SlinginSammy HOF '63

This might be a generational thing more than anything.

Yeah, I thought about that. But then again, we got some pretty fart smellers around here who are over 40 that will well remember Nelms, Brown, and Duncan.

I also didn't put Darrell Green on the list, who was only the "Hired Gun" return man. If I had to pick a guy for one return to win the game, he'd be my guy.

His return in Chicago was an "All-Time Redskin Moment."

WHAT?!! No Herb Mul-key? No Larry Jones? No Tony Green? ;)

Mitchell was definitely a better all around player but Nelms was my favorite return guy for the simple fact that you felt he had a chance to go all the way because he didn't like to call for a fair catch unless Gibbs told him to. If I'm not mistaken, Nelms also went to the most Pro Bowls of any Skins return.

I voted for Mitchell, because he is the guy from "my" era, but I have seen Nelms on tape and I love the way he never took a fair catch (I believe the one credited to him was an "error").

Too mush attention is paid to averages, which are higher now anyway due to kick offs being moved back 5 yards a few years back. Nelms attitude was that a yard return was better than a fair catch.

I reckon if I had seen more of him I would vote Nelms.

BMitch was deceivingly fast and quick for a guy his size and he wasn't afraid to just truck someone if there wasn't something open or near the end of the play. Nelms was just........ smooth. He was quick and fast, but he just seemed like he was gliding sometimes and just made guys miss.

Mike Nelms always seemed to get positive yardage and was indeed a tough SOB, NEVER calling for fair catches. (Didn't he play a year or two in Canada, or somewhere, where no fair catches were allowed?)

Mitchell was another tough strong return guy, not flashy but always there to make a big play.

Eddie Brown had a great punt return for a TD on MNF in the driving rain against, I think, the Cardinals, a classic Skins highlight.

Biggest flash in the pan - Herb Mul-Key.

And what was the name of the guy Beathard traded to the Browns to get Earnest Byner? Oh yeah, Mike Oliphant.

Archived