Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Smoot for Mathis and 1st?

Gohan17

I was wondering what you guys might think of this trade.

The Colts biggest need is CB so we send them SMoot in return for Robert Mathis and their 1st rounder. We would get a great young pass rusher and we could use the pick we get for them to move back into the second round and also grab a few late round picks.

Mathis is only 23 or 24 and is very quick. He had 10.5 sacks this season and would be a great addition to our team. Any thoughts

well I think Mathis would be just as productive here. The Colts have a lot of talent on the end of the line for sure but I think they take a step down in the middle. I think he had to work more for his numbers then Ogun did in Miami that's for sure

I would say ask for Freeney but, that would be asking for too much. Maybe straight up they would go for it but I higly doubt it.

I say Mathis and their first which is what 28? or something like that would be fair. That may seem like more in their favor actually but I think in the end we would look like this

Mathis (same size as Ron Warner) We rotate the line a lot so he would be great.

their 1st rouder becomes two picks and we get a corner to replace Smoot (second round pick) and some depth for the O-line

Originally posted by Gohan17

True but wasn't the same idea used with Champ?

Different situation. Champ was hailed as the best cover corner in the leauge. Smoot isn't as valuable as champ was. He's a good number #2 corner, and no one is going to give up a first and a 3rd for Fred Smoot. Maybe Champ, but not smoot.

Its not necessarily what the team is going to give up for Smoot based on franchise tag compensation, we will make some trade that we and another team can agree to, we just need to free up some money first to tag Smoot. From there, im sure we can still get a first round pick from some team, a later round one.

There are a number of risks in the Smoot issue. Obviously we can't trade him unless we tag him to keep his rights. We will have to free up a lot of space before we can tag him because the CB franchise tag rate is over $7 million now. With that on the books we would be prevented from doing any other deals unless we cut even more form the cap. Obviously we have to get a number of guys signed quickly - such as Pierce. Also depending on who the team targets for the annual March 1st UFA blitz, we will need to have the cash ready at midnight to get the guys we want. We could also have Smoot just sign the tender and be stuck with that cap number - a very bad result - forcing us to trade him for even less. And also I love Smoot, he plays with heart and courage. He's a real Redskin as they come. But I'm not sure that other teams will value him as we do given his 2nd round pick status, never made the pro-bowl, small frame. The best offer we got for Champ under similar circumstances was an offer of Denver's 1st rounder (#25 I believe), before we did a package with Portis included. Whatever we think about his talents, Champ has the incredible national rep and pedigree. It seems only we toss those draft picks around like confederate money.

Archived