Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT- Imagine this: Moss in burgandy and gold

Lavarleap56

washtimes.com/sports/20050120-121120-1413r.htm

Imagine this: Moss in burgundy, gold

By Dan Daly

The word out of Minnesota is that the Vikings might be ready to part ways with Randy Moss, their never-a-dull-moment wide receiver. Some people in the organization, important people, are "exasperated with him," my friend Kevin Seifert wrote in the Minneapolis Star Tribune earlier this week. "At the very least, they plan to initiate a substantive internal discussion about Moss and his future with the franchise this offseason."

It's hard to read that sentence without a picture of Moss in a Redskins uniform popping into your head. I mean, think about it: If the pre-eminent pass catcher in the NFL became available, could Dan Snyder possibly resist taking a run at him?

I doubt it.

Snyder has kind of gone underground since hiring Joe Gibbs, but he's still the same acquisitive fellow he's always been. He spent up a storm last offseason, assembling a record-breaking $112 million roster, and he's prepared to open his wallet again this year, according to Gibbs. Besides, Dan the Man has always had a weakness for the Big Splash (see Deion Sanders, Bruce Smith et al.), and trading for Moss would be, well, the Cannonball to End All Cannonballs.

Remember back in 2000, when Snyder was in the market for a wideout but got outmaneuvered by the Cowboys for Joey Galloway? Something tells me he'd never let that happen again. Whatever he had to do to get Moss, he'd do — even give Randy half the proceeds from obstructed-view seats.

This is purely speculation, mind you, but the timing might be right for Moss to leave Minnesota. His early exit from the last regular-season game against the Redskins followed by his end zone gyrations in the playoff game at Green Bay may finally have convinced his employers that, for all his talent, he's just too much trouble. The 49ers came to the same conclusion a year ago about Terrell Owens, which is why he's now a Philadelphia Eagle.

Also, third-year man Nate Burleson has emerged as a possible successor to Moss. Coach Mike Tice says Burleson would be "a playmaker on anybody's team. The excitement, the great blocking ... it's a wonderful thing to have." The Vikes could opt to go with the younger guy and trade Moss for some draft picks and perhaps a player who would help them shore up their sorry defense.

So imagine, if you will, this scenario: The Vikings send Moss to the Redskins for their No. 1 pick (ninth overall), a No. 2 (either this year or next) and LaVar Arrington (without whom the Washington defense did just fine this season, ranking third in the league).

It would be similar to the Champ Bailey-for-Clinton Portis trade. The Redskins would be swapping a Pro Bowl defensive player for a Pro Bowl offensive player — one big contract for another — and also mortgaging some of their future.

The trick would be to make the numbers work. The Redskins would be hit with a huge cap charge if they traded Arrington so early in his deal, but they could alleviate some of it by releasing Mark Brunell, their grossly overpaid backup quarterback. Fitting in Moss' salary would be less problematic. He's due to make $7.25 million next season, but the Redskins could guarantee the money and reduce his cap number to about $1.8 million.

I can just hear Snyder pitching the idea to Gibbs: "Look at the impact T.O. had in Philadelphia, Joe! Not only would Moss score touchdowns for us, he'd help Laveranues Coles and Chris Cooley get open and give Clinton Portis more room to run. He'd make all our offensive problems go away."

And I can picture Coach Joe thinking: I can change him. He's a basically good kid; he just needs a little direction.

Randy Moss coming to the Redskins would be like Jaromir Jagr coming to the Capitals. He would giveth, but he would also taketh away ... in equal measure, at least. Gibbs talks about finding the right players to build around — True Redskins — but Moss, as is obvious from his many missteps over the years, has no allegiance except to himself. With his constant complaints about the playcalling and his half-hearted attempts at blocking, he's the very antithesis of the Gibbs ideal.

And if he could find a way to be unhappy in Minnesota, where he scored 90 touchdowns in seven seasons, he could certainly find a way to be unhappy in Washington, where the leading receiver scored only one TD in 16 games this year. Like most serial screw-ups, he'd be on his best behavior with the Redskins until he wasn't — and then, heaven help them.

Should Moss get put on the block by the Vikings, it will be a real test for Snyder and Gibbs — for the owner to show he has learned from his mistakes, and for the coach to show he really is in it for the long haul. But desperate teams do desperate things. They'll even trade for players with more baggage than a 767 — if they're good enough.

I hate Dan Daly.

He just reads what we post here and turns it into an article. ;):D

But Lavar and a #1?

He's on crack.

I was worried that Lavar's name would come up and I don't like that. Lavar needs to stay in D.C.

Plus, I doubt he wants anything to do with that sh*tty organization.

IS THIS GUY ON CRACK? 1/2 and LaVar? What the hell is going on with all this LaVar trade specualtion? He just signed a huge extension and bleeds burgundy and gold. I am sorry to say this, but if we trade LaVar Arrington we might as well fire Gibbs and change our team name, because LaVar IMHO, now more than ever represents everything that is good about my loved Washington Redskins. He is our identity as a team, and seeing him leave would cement the death of all loyalties this franchise has. This is probably all speculation on this Daly characters part, but it literally boils my blood to read crap like this.

I haven't like Daly for sometime now, and this only makes it worse. Giving up Lavar for Moss is by no means far in term of team leadership skills, let alone giving up a top 10 draft pick, and a second rounder. Gibbs has preached good character guys since he first came back, and that would be a slap in the face to everyone else on the team. You can not compare what TO has done to Moss, IMO. TO is by far the easier person to tame, hell same with Corey Dillion(who I never liked). With TO and Dillon, those guys just wanted to be on a winning team more or less, Moss could care less. He's going to have a neagtive affect on any locker room, winning or losing.

Easy fellas ... it's just speculation. Not gonna happen by a long shot.

For the record, the "trade Arrington" comments are coming from the fact that Washington finished with one of the best defenses in the league with Arrington on the bench most of the year. I imagine these kinds of statements will be with us for the remainder of the off-season.

Trade LaVar???

Trade Lavar?!?!?!?!

Dan Snyder would be run out of town making a move like that, even straight up Lavar for Moss. And NO, Mr. Daly, it's not like the Portis/Champ trade. Champ was a UFA and we had to franchise him and that's why the trade went through. Damn.

From a cap standpoint this article is insane but if you change Arrington to their 06 #1 and make it essentially 2 #1's for Moss it's more doable. As a pure player without the baggage there's no question he's worth it and there's no denying Snyder loves to make a big splash. Also didn't the Skins during Gibbs first era make a habit of trading picks for proven players? This draft is a weak draft at the top end so they won't get the quality player at #9 they would have had last year. Stranger things have happened.

Should Moss get put on the block by the Vikings, it will be a real test for Snyder and Gibbs — for the owner to show he has learned from his mistakes, and for the coach to show he really is in it for the long haul.

Test? What test?? :rolleyes:

Synder has already shown he is NOT after every splashy FA move. If he was, the Redskins would be dealing with the burdens of Owens and Kearse's contracts right now.

I thought that at least the Washington sports writers wouldn't be so eager to keep the 'meddling Synder' angle alive. :rolleyes:

And if Gibbs goes after certain players, it means he's not serious about turning this team around? Please.

Gibbs won't go after Moss. Period. But even if he did, that doesn't mean he isn't serious about turning this team around for the long haul. Geez.

This guy must not have been around for 'Gibbs-Era One', b/c he obviously doesn't know Gibbs at all.

But desperate teams do desperate things. They'll even trade for players with more baggage than a 767 — if they're good enough.

DESPERATE?!?!

Since when the HELL did Joe Gibbs' Washington Redskins become a "desperate team"?

I agree with others here. This guy seems to be a moron. :)

Skins Guy

First off, trading Lavar means taking about a $17m cap hit. :yikes: I'll be honest - personally I wish we'd have cut Lavar rather than give him the outrageous bonus we did; but it's too late to undo that now. Cutting Brunell this year COSTS MORE cap dollars than letting him ride the bench for another year. So, forget about the draft picks for a second, and explain to me how we're going to take a cap hit of about 22 million and still have $$$ left over to pay Moss. :doh1: How does a guy get paid to write such nonsense????? :doh:

Remember all the furor back in '03 over David Boston? Everybody... EVERYBODY was SO friggin' sure we were gonna take him cuz he was the biggest name, and Snyder can't resist big names...yadayadayada. We signed Coles, which NOONE saw coming, and Cerrato said Boston wasn't "even on our radar.

I stopped reading the article right when he put LaVar's name in as part of the trade.

He has to be on crack if he thinks there is any way to trade LaVar one of them Redskin type players Joe Gibbs wants on the team.

I can't say that I wouldn't mind having a Randy Moss to help spread the field on offense, but the trade has to be something within reason. And only if Gibbs thinks the move is a positive move for the team. I know Gibbs could mold Moss, hes handled some characters in the past and has some characters on his race team! Tony Stewart.....

Archived