Extremeskins

Niners fire Erickson

afparent

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/8070295

Niners fire coach Erickson

Jan. 5, 2005

By Clark Judge

SportsLine.com Senior Writer

Two sources close to the San Francisco 49ers told SportsLine.com on Wednesday that the club has fired Dennis Erickson as its head coach.

The move ends two turbulent seasons for Erickson -- who was 9-23 with the club -- including a franchise worst 2-14 this season -- and was anticipated for weeks. Owner John York asked Erickson to fire some of his assistants, and when the head coach balked, speculation centered on Erickson's dismissal.

The club is expected to make an announcement later Wednesday.

Erickson was hired in 2003 to replace Steve Mariucci, fired after the 49ers reached the playoffs the previous two seasons.

would Holmgreen leave for the 49ers job? He's struggled here and there in Seattle, and problems seem to loom, but one would think Seattle would try and keep him.

Gregg Williams remains, but Greg Blache, he would only leave for a head coaching job, and this may be it.

Would San Fran make a play for Gregg Williams? I hope not.

Plenty of successful DCs, such as Wade Phillips and Dave Wannestadt, have made bad head coaches. Others, like Jimmy Johnson and Ray Rhodes simply don't WANT to be head coaches anymore.

Since we haven't heard a thing about the possibility of any of our assistants leaving, despite the several jobs openings before the season even ended, I am hopeful Williams is off the market this season for one of the above reasons. We'll just have to cross our fingers.

The niners are always known for their offense, so it would be surprising if they get a defensive coach, though York is probably the worst owner in the league at this point and wouldn't surprise me with anything.

They also won't pony up any significant cash so I'd expect them to go with an obscure assistant or upstart college coach willing to take Mike Tice money.

The offense is in shambles, especially qb, so expect them to get a good offensive minded coach to tutor their first round qb -- leinert or rodgers. I could also see them trading out of the number one spot because they don't want to commit eli money to their pick.

Watch them offer Cal's Tedford the job and he will quickly decline. Then they'll hit the assistant du jour path and end up with a Linehan or Childress yawner type of pick.

It's a shame to see one of the greatest franchise in the league suddenly being the worst. The NFL needs to intervene and force the owners to sell.

Unfortunately, even with a new coach, the team is still very far away from doing anything. They just have too many holes to fill and are just recovering from cap hell.

Archived