Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If we can't sign Fred Smoot, here are two CB's who might replace him

The Skins can't trade Fred Smoot and it probably would not be wise to either Transition Tag him or Franchise Tag him. Although its not clear yet how much of a signing bonus Fred Smoot is asking for, if he is asking for ridiculous money like $12-15 million SB, then the Skins might want to pass on him.

Two players who may be just as good in Greg Williams defensive schemes and would probably come a lot cheaper are Gary Baxter of Baltimore and Ken Lucas of Seattle, who I believe are both UFA. Ken Lucas is more of a playmaker, but Gary Baxter is bigger and could also play safety if needed.

Comments?

Ken Lucas CB Seattle

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/235227

Gary Baxter CB Baltimore

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/235194

Fred Smoot CB Washington

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/235244

Originally posted by laurent

Either Sam Madison or Patrick Surtain might be available as well, possibly even both.

Madison is not, but Surtain may very well be. Surtain will be 29 next year, whereas Gary Baxter and Ken Lucas are a few years younger.

-- Madison Unhappy with Dolphins --

Fri Dec 31, 2004 --from FFMastermind.com

The Palm Beach Post reports Miami Dolphins CB Sam Madison said Thursday that he is most frustrated by the Dolphins' failure to extend the contract of fellow corner Patrick Surtain — even after Madison took a pay cut to free up money. Madison was due to make $27.7 million for the next four seasons, but before training camp he agreed to renegotiate his deal to $18 million for the same span.

Madison said he was led to believe that the Dolphins would use the savings to lock up Surtain, who is entering the final year of his contract. "Somebody told me that I would finish my career here and I would be playing with one of the best corners," Madison said. "I was like, 'They're in negotiations with Pat. We can finish playing together.' I only have three years left on my deal so I was like, 'OK, I can play three years by renegotiating my deal and have a great corner on the opposite side.' I had the opportunity to take a pay cut, allow them to re-sign him and then we could do some great things down here, and now it hasn't happened yet."

hmm, after reading that story, Id rather not have Patrick Surtain, kinda sad really. Here's a decent player who actually took a paycut to remain with the team, only to see his friend leave.

both Lucas and Baxter seem good. We may be able to land Lucas if he wants out of Seattle, but seems like he would demand money with his stats.

Baxter, we could land too being nearby, but the Ravens have a way of keeping their defense together, those guys have too much fun out there, If I was on that team on defense I wouldnt wanna leave it either and would take the paycut (unless of course the skins wanted to sign me)

Smoot is better than Baxter and Lucas. Smoot is not just a normal player who can be replaced. He is a fiery leader. If we lose him, we are losing some of the feisty character of the redskins. But, on the other hand, if he is asking for something outside the framework of springs's deal then i would be less inclined to resign him.

Originally posted by method man

Smoot is better than Baxter and Lucas. Smoot is not just a normal player who can be replaced. He is a fiery leader. If we lose him, we are losing some of the feisty character of the redskins. But, on the other hand, if he is asking for something outside the framework of springs's deal then i would be less inclined to resign him.

I think Smoot is on par w/Lucas and Baxter I dont think he is better than them...I love Smoot as a Skin look at my sig pic, and we would lose some leadership but I think either of those two would be a more than adequate replacement...

The key is Smoot realizing that he shouldnt get a deal bigger than Springs' and use his deal as a framework to get his done...IF not bye, bye....:(

Originally posted by terpfan

I want Smoot. We HAVE to be able to afford him.

That said, Surtain is extremely underrated.

not really......maybe to theaverage person but not to people who are really into football.......

the easiest way to tell if someone is UNDERRATED is check his madden rating;)

Well today was the first time I've seen any figures thrown out there as to what the Skins FO is offering Smoot. Reportedly it was a $10.3 Mil signing bonus. Seems fair to me. Its $300k more then Shaun Springs got last year. :rolleyes:

I'm glad it was not $12-15 million SB which a few guys on the board here were claiming Smoot was worth. Being cap squeezed, the Skins can't afford any more of these ridiculous FA signings which they have done in the past.

Smoot had an all-pro type year, but he hasn't had all pro years every year he has been here. If Smoot doesn't take the offer, then I bet we can get CB Ken Lucas for the same amount, who will do just as well in Greg Williams schemes. :rolleyes:

I think much will depend on how well Walt Harris plays against the Vikings Sunday.

Smoot doesn't deserve a bigger contract than Shawn Springs.

Smoot is a good corner but I think he may be listening to the wrong people in addition to having an over inflated sense of self worth.

Skins want to pay him as a top ten corner... that's fair.

If we do lose Smoot, they may use the draft pick on a physical corner like Antrel Rolle to replace him.

Given the new rules, there are NO shutdown CB's anymore (as Denver is finding out). I believe the front office at least suspected trouble resigning Smoot, hence the signings of Walt Harris and Ralph Brown (subsequently cut). The coaching staff really seems high on Rufus Brown and Wilds, as well. I suspect if Smoot isn't resigned that the team will look for a cheaper 2nd/3rd CB or just wait and see how the young guys develop heading into camp. I don't see the front office breaking the bank to resign Smoot. I really think his performance this year is more a function of Williams system more so than individual excellence.

Archived