Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How much "dough" should Smoot get?

skinsfan93

Let me begin by saying.....I love Fred Smoot and think he is truly a "Redskin" in every sense of the word. I sure hope that he is resigned to a contract that potentially makes him a Redskin for life. However, I am not sure that he should receive a huge contract/signing bonus similar or better than what Springs or Antoine Winfield received (13-15 mill bonus).

The main reason is his ability to stay healthy. Smoot is a very small 5'9 170 lbs. With the way he plays hard on every play, he is bound to get hurt during the course of the season.

It has happened again this year, which is his 2nd major one in 2 years. While last year's injury only kept him out for, I believe one game, he still played hurt for a few others, which obviously makes him less productive. This year's injury obviously would do the same if it occured earlier in the year. Plus, he has probably not been 100% this year from a shoulder injury that occured earlier. (You gotta love his heart, though, that he keeps playing even while being hurt!)

So with that being said, if he demands a contract similar to Springs or better, should he get it?

Also, what is the chance that he takes slightly less to stay with the team?

Originally posted by Mackydootz

How much will we be demanding Brunell to take as a pay cut, anyone know of his salary structure?

did you hear officially we will demand him to take a paycut? Its not that easy to make a player do so, nor with contract rules in the NFL and whatnot. I think he has a pretty low contract salary the next 2 seasons still, but that 8 million SB is spread over 7 years, so add like at least 1 million to that.

We need to keep Smoot, I think Smoot will get a similar bonus to Springs, but prolly a longer contract and larger salary.

Originally posted by KBNJ

How about 10 bucks and a lifetime supply of "weight-gain 3000"

Seriously though, with receivers getting bigger and bigger, Smoot need to get in the gym.

Yep, just like Darrell Green. :doh:

I would say 5 years $30 Million with a $10-12 Million SB.

Same reply from someone every time I bring it up... Does anyone ever remember DG getting hurt this much? And you all know the #1 corner on this team is Springs, don't try to hide it.

I love smooty baby but boy, you need to get some gym time....

And PLA-Leaze... Don't compare anyone to DG ever again... Its damn disrespectful to the greatest redskin ever!

Oh sorry, your 16 so you must have read about DG....

Bonus will be between 12 and 15 million (we could offer him the higher bonus with 5-6 million of it comming in a roster bonus in year 3, convertable to a SB). We also know that 2005 and 2006 salaries will be minimal. I'd have to check to be sure but we could probably go as high as 13M on the bonus (assuming a 7 yr contract), sign Pierce, all our EFAs and RFAs we want to keep, find a couple of solid FAs and still have room to sign any rookies we draft. Of course, there'd be no room for error and I don't know how much the FO wants to pay for CBs (there's no dead money at the position, so almost all of the remaining CB budget is available).

Originally posted by Vladimir L

30 Million 5 year deal with a 10 million signing bonus. He is younger then Spring so comands more money. Also he doesnt miss many games 1 or 2 a year arent much. He is a top 5 corner in the leage admit it.

I sure hope his agent settles for nothing less than top five money considering the deals McCallister and Chump and the other top flight CBs signed this past year.

Shoot, I'm ready for him to be paid like the top CB in the league.

Originally posted by Vladimir L

30 Million 5 year deal with a 10 million signing bonus. He is younger then Spring so comands more money. Also he doesnt miss many games 1 or 2 a year arent much. He is a top 5 corner in the leage admit it.

I wouldnt put Smoot on the Top 10 in the league, yet. He's good, but he suffers from occasional bouts of Jason Sehorn disease: does well against short/medium routes but has some trouble against deep passes. His biggest contribution is as a leader on the team.

I think he will get more than Springs got, just because he is younger.

Not sure where I heard it, but on one of the pregame shows, they said CBs might not be getting as much $ in FA because of the tougher rules on pass interference.

The only thing that worries me is that Smoot dropped in the draft from an almost sure fire 1st rounder, and lost a lot of money in the process. He may try to recoup it with his next contract.

Archived