Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How much "dough" should Smoot get?

skinsfan93

Smoot is younger than Springs so I would aim for something more long term.

The main problem we would have is that any signing bonus we pay to Smoot can only be pro rated over 5 years until the CBA is renewed so I would aim to give him a good but not OTT signing bonus but includ a nice fat roster bonus 3 years into the contract with language inserted that allows us to pro rate the roster bonus over the remainder of the contract as by this time, the CBA should have been renewed.

Hence, my contract offer to Smoot would be 8 years $45M with a $10M signing bonus and a $10M roster bonus payable in 2008.

The structure would look something like this:

Year....SB alloc'....Salary.....Other....CapHit

2005...$2M..........$0.8M.....N/A........$2.8M

2006...$2m.........$1.7M......N/A........$3.7M

2007...$2M..........$2.5M.....N/A........$4.5M

2008...$2M..........$1.5M.....$2M.......$5.5M

2009...$2M..........$1.5M.....$2M.......$5.5M

2010...N/A...........$3.5M.....$2M.......$5.5M

2011...N/A...........$3.5M.....$2M.......$5.5M

2012...N/A...........$10M........$2M.......$12M

Using the roster bonus enables us to offer Fred a lot of guaranteed money but keep the cap hits reasonable early in the contract and stop them getting unmanagable in the middle to late part of the deal. The last year of the deal would of course be impossible but by that time we would be looking to make a new deal or if Fred (who by that time would be a veteran) is not playing as well he can be let go without a hugh cap hit.

The roster bonus also acts as a protection in the early years as if Smoot has for some reason a drop off in play or was (touch wood it doesn't happen) to have some kind of career threatening injury we would be able to cut our losses before the roster bonus was due to be paid out.

Not sure where I heard it, but on one of the pregame shows, they said CBs might not be getting as much $ in FA because of the tougher rules on pass interference.

I'm not sure where you heard that, but the change in the rules directly caused CB salaries to INCREASE last off season...it would seem weird if the opposite happened this year.

Antoine Winfield got a 6 year, $35 million contract with an $11 million signing bonus last off-season.

Sheldon Brown got $7.5 million on his bonus this season and Lito got $9 million.

I would expect Smoot to hold some team up for $14 million or so...it just depends who wants him and how high they are willing to go.

He is NO DOUBT going to garner more attention than Springs did last year and have more earning potential.

Originally posted by Vladimir L

30 Million 5 year deal with a 10 million signing bonus. He is younger then Spring so comands more money. Also he doesnt miss many games 1 or 2 a year arent much. He is a top 5 corner in the leage admit it.

I don;t think Smoot is a top 5 corner in the league. No way. Rookie Dunta Robinson of Houston is better. Smoot is having a career year because it is his contract year. He won't be as good after the deal...He is not a shutdown corner. Woodson is better, Ty Law, Bailey, Chris McCalister, Ronde Barber, Lito Shepperd, Antoine Winfield, Dunta Robinson, Dre' Bly...etc...Shawn Springs...

Archived