Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Clinton Portis v. Julius Jones

DTN Redskin

This is a huge matchup in this game. Jones has looked very good in his brief career in Dallas. He looks more powerful than Portis and almost as quick. Is it just me or does Portis look like he goes down easily on 1st contact. Does anyone else think he should be on about 10 lbs. of straight muscle? I think this would give him the edge on being more powerful. Also, I'd like to see him line up as a receiver, as often as 5-10x/ game. Not in the wing or out of the backfield. But, as a wide receiver. His hands are very good and he could be deadly in the open field. Any thoughts on how to use him more effectively & make our offense better. I've only been very impressed with CP in about 4 games, but I know he'll be a helluva a back for us for a long time.

Well Portis isnt one of those " break tackling guys " like stephen davis, riggins, dillion, bettis, etc. But what makes him so good and so unique is that he can take it to the house every single time he touches the ball as long as he gets good run blocking because of his quickness and speed.

I honestly think Clinton gets the RB variation of "alligator body" once he gets hit a couple times. He tends to take dives and wince up alot and not hit the holes as hard at times. I do think we're still not running the type of plays the suit his running style as often as we should though.

I like what i've seen from Jones thus far. He reminds me alot of CP but a little hungrier and with a chip on his shoulder. He runs hard and is pretty good on his feet. Probably because he hasnt been hit by Sean Taylor yet :P

Originally posted by Romeo

Well Portis isnt one of those " break tackling guys " like stephen davis, riggins, dillion, bettis, etc. But what makes him so good and so unique is that he can take it to the house every single time he touches the ball as long as he gets good run blocking because of his quickness and speed.

How many times has he taken it to the house?

I think Jones has "taken it to the house" more times this year the Portis has and played in half less games.

Just objecting opinion from a skins fan.

Let's just forget to take into account that Portis has been playing for 10+ games before Jones took his first snap.:rolleyes: Don't really think he is as good as Portis, but he IS certainly fresher.

Let's see him do it across a whole season, not for 3-4 games when other teams don't have him scouted out.

Originally posted by MeNoRevs

I think Jones has "taken it to the house" more times this year the Portis has and played in half less games.

he might be basing it on portis` 3 years in the NFL opposed to jones ..what .... 3-5 games? ..

Originally posted by MeNoRevs

notice the 3 words " good run blocking" and he has did it plenty of times in Denver. Dont act dumb all of a sudden.

just a comment on how portis runs, while he may not break tackles i have only seen him get knocked backwards on a hit a couple of times this year, that is a very good quality for a running back it will preserve his body for a long time for us and allow him to get a few more yards here and there, i love seein him find a way to twist for another yard or two

Originally posted by Gamebreaker

Jones has more talent than Portis? How do you figure?

They are both very fast (both run sub 4.4 40s) but JJ has quicker feet and amazing cut back ability that Portis lacks. Portis out in the open is much more dangerous, but hitting the line, Portis needs a hole to get started, 84% of JJ's total yardage so far has come after first contact, many times in the backfield. JJ also has slightly better vision, as when Ive watched Portis, he doesnt wait for the hole much, he charges into the spot where he is supposed to go and hopes there is a hole.

Originally posted by HeavyHitta31

They are both very fast (both run sub 4.4 40s) but JJ has quicker feet and amazing cut back ability that Portis lacks. Portis out in the open is much more dangerous, but hitting the line, Portis needs a hole to get started, 84% of JJ's total yardage so far has come after first contact, many times in the backfield. JJ also has slightly better vision, as when Ive watched Portis, he doesnt wait for the hole much, he charges into the spot where he is supposed to go and hopes there is a hole.

I double basically everything you say except the fact that Portis is more dangerous in the open. I think both are just as explosive.

The only thing I think Portis may have is hands. Although I haven't seen much of Portis as a receiver, Jones doesn't have much yet. :(

wide.gif

The Cowboys offensive line has blocked a lot better for J. Jones in the last 3 games then our line has blocked for Portis for the majority of the season. With Portis's speed, if our offensive line allows him to get into the secondary before being touched, I think we see an entirely different Portis. I watched some of the Cowboys games over the last month, and on a lot of Jones's big runs and TD runs, it reminded me of Dallas's rushing attack from the early 90's where Emmit Smith was into the secondary before anyone had even looked his way. Of course today's Cowboys O-line isn't a 1/4 of the glory days, but they do come up with a block at key times, unline our O-line that seems to block horridly when it counts.

Archived