Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

When does a fan of a 3-6 team have a right to be excited?

Art

Originally posted by Art

This is a more interesting time to be a Redskin fan than if we'd snuck out a couple of wins against Dallas and Green Bay earlier, yet, knew we were shackled with a QB who limited the top end performance in Brunell -- at least who Brunell appeared to be.

I couldn't agree more with this comment. To be honest, it got to the point where I was rooting against the offense the past few weeks because I knew it would only be prolonging the inevitable...

I made a thread similar to this sunday night. I agree with Art that we now have SOMETHING to be excited for as we know Brunell was getting us nowhere and even though it isn't set in stone that Ramsey is the future, now we get the excitement and anxiety of watching the rest of the season unfold. Sure Ramsey screwed up some in the game, but he also showed me enough to get me excited of how he can improve in Gibbs' system. I admit it, I am giddy.

Great posts Art. Now that Brunell is done, I'm very excited. I really don't care that we probably won't make the playoffs this season. I never really thought we would. I can see where Gibbs is taking this team. It's the complete opposite feeling of the hopelessness I had last year when Spurrier was coach.

It's going to be a lot of fun to watch Ramsey and the rest of the team grow into Gibbs' offense, as it's going to be fun to watch Gibbs redevelop the offense back into the scoring machine it once was. The team still has a couple of holes it needs to address this offseason, but it also has a ton of young talent in players like Portis, Ramsey, Taylor, Smoot, McCants.

Gibbs inherited a huge mess. It's going to take some time to right this ship, but I'm going to enjoy every minute of the ride.

Originally posted by jrfriedm

:doh: I'm just disgusted by this team (again) I can't believe that we are 3-6, that is just horriable.

I don't mean this as an insult, but you are always so pessemistic and negative. If the team disgusts you so much, why do you bother?

First, give credit to the Bengals OL. They played very well as our blitz packages never got one sack. Ramsey will open the running game up even more. With 8 guys always in the box w/MB at QB Portis still rushed for some 800+ yards in eight games. We will beat the Eagles once (or the Vikings), Dallas, SF, and the Giants. We will finish at 7-9 at least.

First, give credit to the Bengals OL. They played very well as our blitz packages never got one sack. Ramsey will open the running game up even more. With 8 guys always in the box w/MB at QB Portis still rushed for some 800+ yards in eight games. We will beat the Eagles once (or the Vikings), Dallas, SF, and the Giants. We will finish at 7-9 at least.

Art,

Always insightful and hopeful.

This is exactly what I feared - Gibbs finally taking a few hits from the oxygen tank and flushing the carbon monoxide induced haze from his brain to yank Brunell right before the Philly game. He couldn't have done it against Chicago or Detroit to give PR more time to get into groove, but instead giving him 2 quarters to shake the rust off to prepare for the 2 toughest games of the season. I'm not sure how fair it will be to judge him on his own merits, but I'm sure comparing anything he does to what Brunell did will look spectacular.

Unless you believe Hasselback is the answer, you ignore the burning question of what we do if PR stinks up the joint. We'll have no viable option at QB heading into next season with a very slim chance to land anyone we'd be modestly excited about.

Anyone who believes this team wouldn't be contending for a playoff spot this year just seems out of touch. The lost season rests solely on Gibbs as much as it pains me to say. He is solely responsible for bringing in Brunell in the first place, and staying with him for too long. With our talent we should be average at worst, outside Super Bowl contenders at best with the way our defense is playing and given the mediocrity in the NFC this year.

The only thing that gets me excited for next year is the hope that the adjustments made to fit Portis's running style will appear in similar fashion for the passing game. The defense should only be better next year, provided Williams doesn't leave. Healthy players and perhaps a true pass rushing DE added to an already awesome defense means more lattitude for the offense to get together.

If PR blows hard over the next several games, I have a feeling those drinks you put on hold will just be the first wave of many during a long cold winter and spring. In two weeks, I hope you aren't looking for an all night liquor store.

I'm sure we're all tired of looking at the same glimmer of sun that peeks through the dark cloudy skies that seem to move over DC every November and December.

HTTR

Gatoreye - great point. If only PR could have STARTED the Bengals game and not been thrown into a 17-0 game and then be expected to cut his teeth against the NFC and NFL's best teams in Philly & Pitts.

But on the other hand...

Ramsey has a 20/15 TD/Int ratio as a starter and 25/22 over his career (which includes two ints that were hail mary's - his only pass attempt in each game). For a young QB that awesome. That's why the sacks don't bother me.

It might be a QB driven league and all, but the Redskins don't need anything from the QB posiion except competancy. At least not right now. I pray Gibbs is telling Ramsey not to feel he has to win the game to keep his job. He just needs to execute and if the better (on paper) teams still win the next two games, so what.

Originally posted by Art

Radagast,

Like you, I want meat, red off the bone. Which is precisely the rationale I outlined for being more enthusiastic about the remaining games this season that I might otherwise be. There is nothing more meaty than the slate of games ahead of us with the QB we have to hope is the answer to the future.

The hope I speak of in this post is a simple hope, and not actually outlined as that great a hope.

The excitement is becasue these next two games, especially, matter in a way they shouldn't for a 3-6 team. They matter for better or for worse in a way that defines this team with extreme clarity.

I follow what you're saying, Art, but I'm much more preoccupied with what we know about the Redskins right now (which is that they're a sloppy, injured, and underperforming football team) than what the coming weeks will tell us about next season.

Obviously, we each have different definitions here, but when I say "red meat off the bone," I'm talking about a 50-21 annihilation of the Giants at the Meadowlands, or a 30-7 whitewashing of Dallas at Texas Stadium. That's the type of thing I can hang my hat on 'til next season. A couple of gutsy showings by Ramsey in close losses over the next month...well, I've tried that for 10 years now and it's not so much fun.

I'm excited because with Ramsey we KNOW what we have. This stretch of games will deliver to you a team you seek or a team that delays the meal.

Yeah, if they somehow make great showings in Philly and Pittsburgh, and go 1-1 or heaven forbid 2-0, that would be an enormous achievement. I'd say it'll also tell us about the character of this team, though I think the character is good already

For the record, I do not think it's a great observation from you to express surprise we'd have an early game plan to pass the ball against the Bengals. Cincy is a bad run defense openly vowing to get better. We're a team coming off a pretty good running performance and NOTHING passing performance against the Lions.

It seems very reasonable to me to expect Lewis and the Bengals might ramp up against the run, not expecting an early flurry of passes. It turns out the mistake was more in the execution than in the design against the Bengals as Brunell was no where near the receivers for the most part.

Yeah, I follow your logic, except that there's nothing whatsoever to indicate to me that our passing game works even with the element of surprise. It's kind of like saying, "Hey Mugsy, I got the perfect scam to get past security at the bank for the big heist." "Yeah, Rocko, what's that?" "We act as delegates from the French Consulate and ask for a tour." "Perfect! Do you speak French?" "Uh....."

The Redskins' passing game is wholly nonexistent. Sure, the Bengals might not have expected it, but it's a moot point because the passing game doesn't work, surprise or not. And the Bengals' run D didn't get a bunch of bad stats because they came out defending the pass for the last eight weeks. It stinks because they have no D line and their LBs are iffy. Look what Portis did (on average) against them.

I get the element of surprise angle, but beyond that first glance, it's an argument that is easily defeated because we had no way to exploit it.

Originally posted by Art

In two weeks we could know we are in a world of hurt.

I feel your pain, Art, but I hope you won't abandon ship after only two weeks if Ramsey doesn't show a lot of poise in his first two starts under Gibbs. He's still just a young QB, in a new system, and it's common for a quarterback to take a year or more to really acclimate to the change.

At this point, what I'd like to see from Ramsey is only incremental improvement between now and the end of the season.

After all, remember how pitiful Mark Rypien looked at times during his first few seasons? He was a fumbling machine who couldn't complete a five-yard pass to save his soul. Eventually, though, Gibbs got the brass ring with Rypien behind center, and old Ryp went to the Pro Bowl.

I am actually more disappointed that Gibbs chose not to take on the challenge and develop Ramsey from the get go than I am by the 3-6 record :)

if we had reached 3-6 with PR starting you could look back and say these were growing pains, but since #8 was starting and he has little future in the NFL you would have to say we mostly tread water and wasted time.

Originally posted by bulldog

I am actually more disappointed that Gibbs chose not to take on the challenge and develop Ramsey from the get go than I am by the 3-6 record :)

if we had reached 3-6 with PR starting you could look back and say these were growing pains, but since #8 was starting and he has little future in the NFL you would have to say we mostly tread water and wasted time.

Thats why most of us here were wondering why Brunell was still starting after 2-3 games and especially the Browns and Ravens games. After every week passed and he was still in there it made less and less sense.

At this point if Brunell was never picked up Ramsey would more than likely be doing pretty good by now and if he wasnt Gibbs would be creating plays that worked for him. Right now hes 9-10 weeks behind every offense and defense in the league.

I'm not saying Gibbs was wrong to want someone with some experience, but I do believe signing a QB to start over Ramsey was wrong. Especially when you pay him more than 1/2 the starters in the league making it painful to sit him down when he isnt successful.

Maybe Gibbs saw the next Rob Johnson in Ramsey.

that is silly, you are essentially saying that the development of Patrick Ramsey is the only good thing that can come out of going 3-6. Either you believe that there is nothing good about 3-6, or you believe that despite the bad record players can develop and positives can be taken away from such a poor showing in the standings, and if that is the case, then it applies to all players, not just Patrick Ramsey. Look no further than Antonio Pierce.

Archived