Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: The Wave

Ancalagon the Black

Well, the thing is, the Wave is good, but should only be done when the defense is on the field. And not due to ettiquette, or fun, or any of that. But because it has a definite effect.

It can make players dizzy. It is hard to concentrate when it's going on, It's hard to hear signals because the sound swirls. You know how it is when one of your headphones immediately cuts out? How that moment of relative silence on that side of your head is so alien and weird for a second? Calling an audible is difficult at best.

Imagine trying to catch a pass and the background pulses and changes while you're trying to pick up the ball in flight.. nevermind going deep..

I've heard more players than I can count on both hands and feet say that they love it, but not when the offense is on the field. It makes it tough on receivers most of all. Defense can concentrate their vision and focus much closer to ground level, whereas many offensive players must focus either downfield or above head-level.. the Wave will mess with balance,, depth perception, and color recognition.

Shoot, there's a very famous NFL films reel of the old Packer and 49er LB Tim Harris on the sidelines yelling at the crowd to stop doing it while the offense is on the field. You have to have seen that.

So, by all means DO it. But only do it when it does the opponent damage.

~Bang

Originally posted by Anne The Fan

Very true, Ancal. My Brazilian-soccer loving husband often reminds me of the difference. I was only trying (badly, obviously) to make a point about the global use of The Wave.

And yes, I should never post without a dictionary in hand. I should have known that you would have caught me. :cheers:

I always get a little irked when people here call it the "Mexican wave," for reasons that you point out in the article you quote. :)

As for "enervate," well, I got caught out on it while trying to sound sophisticated in an essay once. Just spreading the joy. :cheers:

I'm just disturbed by the fact that there are 3 threads about...well...the wave. 2 of them specifically and one hijacked. I mean, the Redskins won, Joe Gibbs is back, ( this just in), the Defense, ( which up until Sunday was a bit more of a concern), played outstanding, Portis ran awsome and basically, life as a Redskins fan is joyous once more. At least for this week. And yet, here we are, debating the merits, practicality, and etiquette of "The Wave", ( Honestly. Should any of those words even be used in the same sentence as "The Wave"?). There were what? 90,000 people at the game on Sunday, and for a brief moment of time a good deal of them did the wave and they were all wrong? Sigh. When's that game on Sunday start again? Can't happen soon enough.

Hey,

I was there (section 404 row 27) and I thought it was great! The fans got up and did something to get fired up in the 3rd and 4th quarters (if the skins needed any momentum shifts it was after the Brunell fumble). The upper bowl started and got the lower bowl into it. The upper bowl got around the stadium 4 times before it died out- and it was this WAVE that fired up the fans late in the game (1 TO and a couple of false starts- plus the very loud 3rd and short and final play/Arrington and co. sack). Granted, this should be done when the D is out there (it did go on when the O was out there) and the wave is kinda silly, but it worked and those critical of it 1. Probably wasn't there (since practically everyone stood up during this!!! 2. Wish they were there. 3 . Don't understand the attempt at team support by the fans. This is a terible stadium to carry sound. You scream and scream and it just doesn't sound too lound (any RFK fans do you agree? I never got to see a skins game at RFK). I think the wave may have been one of the best ways to show fan support.

I'm just disturbed by the fact that there are 3 threads about...well...the wave. 2 of them specifically and one hijacked. I mean, the Redskins won, Joe Gibbs is back, ( this just in), the Defense, ( which up until Sunday was a bit more of a concern), played outstanding, Portis ran awsome and basically, life as a Redskins fan is joyous once more. At least for this week. And yet, here we are, debating the merits, practicality, and etiquette of "The Wave", ( Honestly. Should any of those words even be used in the same sentence as "The Wave"?). There were what? 90,000 people at the game on Sunday, and for a brief moment of time a good deal of them did the wave and they were all wrong? Sigh. When's that game on Sunday start again? Can't happen soon enough.

Amen,

Park City

Originally posted by Park City Skins

I'm just disturbed by the fact that there are 3 threads about...well...the wave. 2 of them specifically and one hijacked. I mean, the Redskins won, Joe Gibbs is back, ( this just in), the Defense, ( which up until Sunday was a bit more of a concern), played outstanding, Portis ran awsome and basically, life as a Redskins fan is joyous once more. [...] And yet, here we are, debating the merits, practicality, and etiquette of "The Wave",

Well, it was supposed to be a joke (I didn't realize the thread would take off), but wouldn't you rather argue about the Wave than be complaining about pathetic blocking schemes, unprepared players, and a lack of discipline on the team? :D

Originally posted by McMetal

IMaybe there is some "etiquette" to fan participation, but when was the last time you saw a wave at FedEx?

There was a rather long one at the preseason Falcons game. I was a participant as well. It started in our tier, then the other tiers caught on; the wave went around at least six times. The Washington Post reported that several of the Redskins' players took note of it.

Originally posted by Monte51Coleman

I'm sure that many people would be "entertained" by the entire crowd singing a falsetto version of Stayin' Alive by the Bee Gees during live play. I just wouldn't be one of them.

:laugh: Well, only while the 'Skins are on defense!

Bang, you make a compelling argument for using the Wave as a tool of the fan to distract the opposing team's offense. I guess the ultimate fan response while the 'Skins are on D would be a huge wall of noise AND the disruptive crescendo of a rolling wave.

Originally posted by McMetal

I had no idea until driving home listening to the postgame report that there was even any problem with this.

What a worthless, petty thing to gripe about!

Probably coming from the same dopes who grouse about the "wine and cheese" Club Level crowd never showing any enthusiasm - give me a break. I scream my friggin' lungs out every home game from Section 308.

Maybe there is some "etiquette" to fan participation, but when was the last time you saw a wave at FedEx?

Exactly.

Give the crowd props for getting into the game.

Amen but hey...I was in club level, thats just a myth, me and several others were going nuts up there.

Never, ever do the wave. Not at a football game, not at a baseball game, not in a blowout, not during halftime, never.

The wave is like mascots, exploding scoreboards, and every other stupid thing that is meant to provide a distraction for fans for whom the game is not interesting enough. If you're bored enough to pay more attention to a bunch of clowns standing up and sitting back down again then to the action on the field, please, pretty please, mail your tickets to someone who cares.

But that's just my opinion, of course...

:gaintsuck

Originally posted by OrangeSkin

I remember a few years back one of our QBs (Rob Johnson I believe :puke: ) making a comment about how the wave is very distracting when the team is on offense.

Now I know why Rob was sacked so much...he was admiring the Wave. As for where it happens, I've noticed it at the mile and a half Lowes Motor Speedway (Charlotte) and the half mile Bristol Motor Speedway. A lot more fans there than at a football game, and it usually happens just before the beginning of the race. its quite an awesome site. Since it has riled so many, I'd still like to see everyone do it before the kickoff of the Dallas game...upper deck one way and lower deck the other. The Club Level can do the up and down thing the Duke students do at Cameron. Then we can follow the sterile etiquette while we're on offense and the crazy noise on defense.:wave:

• 2 weeks later...

To those attending the game tonight- Please don't "do the wave" when we are on offense. After last Monday night when Madden slobbered all over the Eagles fans about being the best in the league (don't get me started on THAT debate) because they yelled out huuugggghhhh when Douglas assisted on a tackle, I would hate to be called out on national television for a similar act like the one at the TB game.

That is, of course, unless the game is a Skins blow-out.:cheers:

Archived