Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: The Wave

Ancalagon the Black

Originally posted by McMetal

I had no idea until driving home listening to the postgame report that there was even any problem with this.

What a worthless, petty thing to gripe about!

Probably coming from the same dopes who grouse about the "wine and cheese" Club Level crowd never showing any enthusiasm - give me a break. I scream my friggin' lungs out every home game from Section 308.

Maybe there is some "etiquette" to fan participation, but when was the last time you saw a wave at FedEx?

Exactly.

Give the crowd props for getting into the game.

What??? That's not getting into the game...that's what people do when they are NOT into the game. We were on offense in a tied game in the third quarter. Why do you need to do the wave then?? There is a time and place for everything.

Redskins fans are supposed to be known for their football smarts....I was dissappointed in us on Sunday.

Originally posted by nace14

the wave should never be done on defense. defense is reserved for everyone standing and yelling.

the way i see it, the wave should be done on offense. it keeps the crowd into it making noise, but not getting too loud.

as for the thing about wrigley, that is just something chicago fans don't do, and guess what, we aren't chicago fans.

nothing wrong with the wave, if you were at the game, you were doing it, if you were watching the game you should have appreciated all the people at the game doing it and making noise.

i mean lets be serious, for everyone who was at home watching the game, how many times did you flip the channel during a commercial to catch the afc game or highlights? well guess what, we couldn't flip the channel so we did the wave and kept ourselves in the game and making noise.

I agree..except for the offense part! Better yet....why not a "reverse" wave while the Defense is on the field....every section stand up and scream, except for one...then the wave can go around the stadium consisting of people sitting down, a section at a time, then standing.......

Originally posted by Monte51Coleman

It is called understanding the moment. Doing the wave while your offense has the ball, in this case during a very close game, shows very little understanding of the moment. The fans should be doing everything that they can to help their team, not to potentially distract the players.

See, this is the problem. You are trying to force your opinion on people. While you and I might think that screaming our lungs out and supporting our team is fun, the guy next to us would rather do the wave. In the end, football is entertainment. People pay very good money to be entertained. If they want to do the wave in their sixty dollar seats, they should be allowed to.

I really don't see how this is any different than the people who are complaining about people yelling at them to sit down when they are yelling and screaming. People enjoy the game in different ways, nobody is wrong.

I should say though, that if I were in the same situation, I would be yelling and screaming, not doing the wave. I certainly wouldn't be ridiculing the people doing the wave, however.

Originally posted by jthomas

See, this is the problem. You are trying to force your opinion on people. While you and I might think that screaming our lungs out and supporting our team is fun, the guy next to us would rather do the wave. In the end, football is entertainment. People pay very good money to be entertained. If they want to do the wave in their sixty dollar seats, they should be allowed to.

I really don't see how this is any different than the people who are complaining about people yelling at them to sit down when they are yelling and screaming. People enjoy the game in different ways, nobody is wrong.

I should say though, that if I were in the same situation, I would be yelling and screaming, not doing the wave. I certainly wouldn't be ridiculing the people doing the wave, however.

jt- I am simply stating my opinion- not trying to force it on anyone. I'm sure that many people would be "entertained" by the entire crowd singing a falsetto version of Stayin' Alive by the Bee Gees during live play. I just wouldn't be one of them.

Originally posted by Monte51Coleman

jt- I am simply stating my opinion- not trying to force it on anyone. I'm sure that many people would be "entertained" by the entire crowd singing a falsetto version of Stayin' Alive by the Bee Gees during live play. I just wouldn't be one of them.

I apologize, I just got that impression from your post :) .

Originally posted by jthomas

No, this is not the issue.

The issue here is fan etiquette. Yes, a fan has the right to cheer however he or she wants (within proper restriction) when they go to a game. However, the fan should be aware that etiquette dictates for he or she to be quiet when the team is on offense (except for after a play), and loud when the team is on defense (it's pretty simple). The fan should be aware that breaking that rule reflects badly on the fanbase as a whole.

This thread is about what should and should not be done. Now, people may break those rules, but, that doesn't mean the rules aren't valid.

This issue was raised in someone else's post, I will just reiterate it. Some of you seem to think that the wave should be done while we are on Defense. As opposed to screaming your lungs out and making as much noise as possible? The wave is quiet in comparison to all 90,000 plus screaming together (remember, the wave only has people screaming one SECTION at a time). But if you don't like it, don't participate in it, end of story.

Go to a soccer game in South America, Africa, or England. Then come back to FedEx get on you knees and thank God "the wave" is all you have to b*tch about.

BTW - FedEx needs a BIG skins flag and a chant. There is nothing in the sporting world cooler then a international soccer game when te giant flags come out and the nations chant gets so loud you can't think. Nothing like it period. The cameras show the crowd and it looks liek a riot because every body in the place is in motion and screaming.

I was appalled on Sunday at the ignorance of the fans in the stadium. We do not do the wave when the skins have the ball, particularly with the score tied. While I was not one of those screaming to stop the insanity, I did not participate. Savvy fans do not do the wave under such circumstances. Once again, a difference between RFK and FedEx field.

Guest Gichin13
Originally posted by TheDane

Up to you. If you're a casual fan and you're just looking to have fun at the stadium, by all means, do your own thing.

However, in my opinion, the wave is for baseball games. If necessary, it should only be done in a blowout when your team is winning. Why?

1. The game is close, and the Redskins are on offense. Under no circumstances should the wave be done. Fans should respect the offense and cheer only when a big play occurs, not during the huddle or - god forbid - while Brunell is getting the snap off. Cheers that involve crowd undulations - e.g., the wave - can only be distracting. Plus, you should be paying attention to the game rather than looking down your row waiting for the guy next to you to stand up.

2. The game is close, and the Redskins are on defense. You should be screaming and yelling your head off. Under no circumstances should the wave be done. Again, you should be paying attention to the game rather than looking down your row waiting for the guy next to you to stand up.

3. The game is a blowout, and we're losing. You should be pissed off and under no circumstances do the wave.

Yes. The wave is ok and kind of fun, but getting riled up while our QB is under center is stupid. Our fans used to be smart football fans and understand the game: we are there to win, and interfering with the snap count.

I don't know, I think the wave is both kind of fun at the time and pretty lame at the same time. I voted only on defense, but when I go to games I am there to get into the game itself. And no, I am not the wine and cheese variety, I am there to cheer the team and get into it.

This thread was intended to be lighthearted and silly, and I’m glad that most folks have treated it that way. For those of you who have become a bit riled up, I offer the following.

No one is trying to FORCE anyone to do anything they do not want to do. Of course, if you pay for a ticket, you have the right to entertain yourself as you see fit. However, that’s different from us trying to encourage you to behave in certain ways. It’s a matter of etiquette. When I’m at a restaurant, I may be disgusted by the guy at the other table who is chewing with his mouth open and belching and farting. He paid for his steak just as I did, and I cannot stop him from behaving boorishly. But it’s just bad manners on his part. And no, there is no written contract that he has signed saying that he won’t do those things; it’s just something that’s understood by educated people.

Back to football. There is one way that is guaranteed for me to have fun at a Redskins game, and that is to have the Redskins win. There is very, very little I can do to influence the possibility of this outcome. One enormously small way I can contribute is to holler my lungs out when we’re on defense. Another way is to not emit a peep while we’re on offense (except to cheer a good play). If everyone acted this way, you can bet that the stadium would be a frightening, frightening place for opposing teams.

I guess I'm the dissenter here, but come on people, chill out. I think the wave is awesome. I don't think we should do it when the 'Skins are on offense, however. I remember a few years back one of our QBs (Rob Johnson I believe :puke: ) making a comment about how the wave is very distracting when the team is on offense.

So yes, it should be done when the other team is on offense, because it can be very distracting. It also creates quite a bit of noise and combine that with the visual and it can work.

Not to mention, it just looks cool. I mean, I've led a pretty shallow life, I'll admit that, but the wave in a packed stadium is one of the coolest things I've ever seen.

And all you guys who hate it, I doubt you're the minority. If that's the case, then how come I saw the entire stadium doing the wave?

Sheep, all sheep. ;)

I did some very cursory research on the history of The Wave (emphasis on very) and this is what I came up with.

The actual origins of The Wave are unclear, but the first report of its appearance is on October 15, 1981 at an Oakland A’s baseball game. On October 31, 1981 it also appeared during a football game between the Washington Huskies and Stanford; credit for its generation has been given to Rob Weller, a (former?) host of Entertainment Tonight. The Wave reappeared in Mexico during the 1986 World Cup finals. After that, it seems to have been picked up, sua sponte, by football and soccer fans at random intervals since its inception. “English football hooligans” appear to use it on a fairly regular basis and have dubbed it The Mexican Wave. In the U.K., it’s used as a gesture for “mass excitement or boredom”; apparently, the fans use it to stick it to the fans in the “wine and cheese seats.”

http://oakland.athletics.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/oak/ballpark/oak_ballpark_history.jsp

http://www.sdreader.com/php/ma_show.php?id=082902A

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,641-1176677,00.html

Sadly, the internet couldn’t direct me to any sites dealing with The Wave etiquette. (Believe me, I looked.) If British soccer fans (including my two nephews) are correct, it’s merely a demonstration of extreme enthusiasm. So my guess is that in many parts of the world, it’s used as a way to enervate the crowd.

As to my own thoughts about The Wave? On the one hand, I was appalled that people were engaging in it during an offensive drive. Call me a purist, but I really believe that people who attend a sporting match have a responsibility to understand the unwritten, as well as written, rules of the sport that they are watching. In American football, it is a decided part of a spectator’s code to be quiet when the home team is on the field. On the other hand, I was incredibly happy to see fans that heretofore had shown little to no interest in the game show me that they actually were into it. For whatever reason, my section of the stadium actually seemed energized after doing The Wave. (Of course, they could have simply screamed and jumped around more, but that’s for another thread.)

Overall, I’m actually pleased that The Wave’s use by the fans during the Redskins-Bucs game has become such a hot topic on this board. If we are focusing on something that, let’s face it, is something of a trivial matter in a sporting event, then we all need to count our blessings. We could be muttering about our lack of faith in the coaching staff; we could even be launching into a full-fledged battle over the quarterback controversy. Instead, we’re all irked about how stupid (or enthusiastic) we fans looked on T.V. It could be a lot worse.

Now on to the Giants. Let’s go kick some @ss.

If British soccer fans (including my two nephews) are correct, it’s merely a demonstration of extreme enthusiasm. So my guess is that in many parts of the world, it’s used as a way to enervate the crowd.

Ah, but soccer etiquette is a different beast entirely, as the fans have to provide much of the moment-to-moment entertainment. They sing, chant, have noisemakers, etc.

By the way, I hope that the wave does NOT enervate the crowd (unless you mean "energize"?). We need as much energy as possible.

Originally posted by Ancalagon the Black

Ah, but soccer etiquette is a different beast entirely, as the fans have to provide much of the moment-to-moment entertainment. They sing, chant, have noisemakers, etc.

By the way, I hope that the wave does NOT enervate the crowd (unless you mean "energize"?). We need as much energy as possible.

Very true, Ancal. My Brazilian-soccer loving husband often reminds me of the difference. I was only trying (badly, obviously) to make a point about the global use of The Wave.

And yes, I should never post without a dictionary in hand. I should have known that you would have caught me. :cheers:

Archived