Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Update - Miami Dolphins acquire RB Lamar Gordon from the St Louis Rams

Is Lamar Gordon really that great? :rolleyes:

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/302034

-- Dolphins Close to Acquiring Lamar Gordon --

Tue Sep 7, 2004 --from FFMastermind.com

ESPN's John Clayton reports the Miami Dolphins appear to have ended their summer-long search for a replacement for RB Ricky Williams. They are close to reaching a trade agreement with the St. Louis Rams to acquire RB Lamar Gordon. The Rams didn't want to trade Gordon, so the cost is likely going to be high. To get Gordon, the Dolphins may have to give up as much as a third-round draft pick, but they have the luxury of having acquired an extra third-round choice from the Bears in the WR Marty Booker - DE Adewale Ogunleye trade.

But the price of a third-round pick could be cheap in comparison if Gordon can take over the starting halfback job. Gordon is a 6-1, 228-pound back who runs quick to the line of scrimmage and is tough to tackle. In Gordon, the Dolphins believe they get a back with more explosion than Thomas. The potential trade comes after HC Dave Wannstedt named RB Travis Minor as the starting halfback but also said that RB Sammy Morris would get some action.

For the past few days, the Rams were slow in returning calls to the Dolphins because they wanted to keep Gordon as an insurance policy for the future. The Rams told the Dolphins it would be pricey to acquire him. Unfortunately for the Dolphins, the Rams wouldn't give the Dolphins a price. On Tuesday night, negotiations heated up to the point where the Dolphins were confident a deal could be completed by Wednesday morning. Gordon first would have to meet with HC Mike Martz and the final details of the trade had to be work out.

Once again the Dolphins are making moves in desperation.

Don't the Rams still have Arlene Harris?

So now they have a runningback corps of Faulk, Jackson, Gordon and Harris.

How many horses do they need in the stable? Especially for such a pass-oriented team.

If they loved those guys before Harris/Gordon... they wouldn't have drafted Jackson to begin with.

That franchise is just going down the tubes. Wanny is just making it worse every day for the next coach.

Originally posted by CTaylor42

I can't beleive that the Dolphins would give up a third rounder for Lamar Gordon. I think Gordon is injury prone. He was brought in as the heir apparent to Marshall Faulk and he couldn't even beat out Arlene Harris last year.

I'd heard they were going to give up their second for him, but they forgot they used that on AJ Feeley.

Boy, they just keep reaching for the stars don't they?

~Bang

I guess they need someone but a 3rd round pick seems awful steep for some one the Rams don't need and don't really want (otherwise, why did they get Jackson).

They would have been better either riding out the storm and going with what they had or making a big trade for someone established or with a better pedigree.

-- Dolphins Officially Acquire Gordon via Trade --

Wed Sep 8, 2004 --from FFMastermind.com

In an update from our earlier story, Fox Sports reports the Miami Dolphins have officiall acquired RB Lamar Gordon from the St. Louis Rams, said Neil Schwartz, Gordon's agent. Gordon was the third-string back in St. Louis behind RB Marshall Faulk and first-round pick RB Steven Jackson, but he certainly will move up the depth chart in Miami.

The Dolphins have struggled to replace Williams since he abruptly retired a week before training camp opened. HC Dave Wannstedt decided this week to have RB Travis Minor, RB Sammy Morris and RB Leonard Henry share snaps. It was believed the Dolphins gave up a third-round draft pick in 2005 to get the 6-foot-1, 228-pound Gordon.

It was Gordon's regular season debut that buried Trung, wasn't it? He looked great then, but if he's injury prone...Not good. He's probably worth their extra 3rd rounder since they are hurting at RB right now. The hairy fish drama will be interesting to watch.

BTW they could still get Trung probably for the Vet Mininum :)

Originally posted by spanishomelette

BTW they could still get Trung probably for the Vet Mininum :)

Trung was examined by several doctors a few weeks ago, but hasn't decided whether or not he will have surgery on his injured foot. He's hoping it gets better on its own. But it looks like either way, he is going to miss most if not all of this season. As a result, Trung has not been brought in for any tryouts by other teams. :)

Originally posted by inmate running the asylum

Trung was examined by several doctors a few weeks ago, but hasn't decided whether or not he will have surgery on his injured foot. He's hoping it gets better on its own. But it looks like either way, he is going to miss most if not all of this season. As a result, Trung has not been brought in for any tryouts by other teams. :)

I personally think that Spurrier did a disservice to Trung with his horrible blocking schemes. Last year was Trung's chance to show that he could at least be a split time back but SS threw him under the bus and drove away.

Originally posted by Oldskool

I personally think that Spurrier did a disservice to Trung with his horrible blocking schemes. Last year was Trung's chance to show that he could at least be a split time back but SS threw him under the bus and drove away.

I think you are right. There were several games in which Trung was running fine during the first half, and then SS stopped running the ball.

I wish we had Trung back, assuming he is healthy -- which he isn't at the moment. At least he would be another RB in the stable that could fill in and get 100+ rushing yards, if Portis gets dinged. In the spring we had all this depth, and now we got question marks at backup RB. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by inmate running the asylum

I think you are right. There were several games in which Trung was running fine during the first half, and then SS stopped running the ball.

I wish we had Trung back, assuming he is healthy -- which he isn't at the moment. At least he would be another RB in the stable that could fill in and get 100+ rushing yards, if Portis gets dinged. In the spring we had all this depth, and now we got question marks at backup RB. :rolleyes:

Was that a holdover injury from last season? I thought he was one of the few still playing RB around the end of last season.

Originally posted by Oldskool

Just shows you what a desperate team will do for a "quality" RB.

I wonder if they inquired about Betts but it was never leaked to the sports media?

Quality RB? Dude, this is Lamar Gordon we're talking about. :laugh: The phins are at the point that they'll take just about anything. 3rd rounder is too high, but hey, more power to 'em.

given that Gordon has never proven himself to be a durable 16 game performer in the NFL I think some here are giving him too much credit, and that of the Dolphins offensive line as well :)

these are the death throes of the Wannstedt regime. He is probably going to be fired after the season and he is so desperate to come up with answers now that he has traded away Ogunleye and two high picks for players that are transitional figures at best.

AJ Feeley? Lamar Gordon?

Booker at least is a proven starter, even though he will be 29.

Feeley and Gordon are career backups. You don't trade high picks for guys like this.

I LOVE the SKINS, but you people are RETARDED!!! I keep hearing that Betts, Cartwright, MCwhatshisname are going to be a quality back in this league!! Do me a favor and QUIT being BIAS!!!!!!!!!! Lamar played for NDSU, that is North Dakota State, not a power house by any means. I watched him and he was a SERIOUS D-1 runningback. He is in MY mind a find, and he will do good in this league. Mind you I said GOOD, not great. He is as GOOD as Betts, OH I forgot Betts has no proved himself in this league for a FULL 16 game season. At he end of the season if he does not get 200 rushes flame please if he does not do wll enough. I trust he will. COME on SKins fans quit being so blind and ignorant. There is a reason why people other than us draft, trade and sign players!!!! OK, there is still the Chargers, so go ask them for a job.

HTTR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived