Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Huge Spurrier article

mhd24

How many times have we seen college coaches fail?

Nothing new.

Failing at something... where the odds of success are so miniscule.... is nothing to chuckle. He got his opportunity to play with the big dogs... and he got paid handsomely.

Don't cry for Spurrier.

We should all be so lucky.

Our problem was not having a quality veteran Qb under center. Ramsey could be the future of our team, but having Brunell or someone like that would have made the team better last year..Ramsey just held the ball WAYYYY to long so many times!!!

Protection packages were awful, but is it not the Qb's position to call a bad play out and make the changes needed to get the correct play? Our call a timeout?

Ramsey was to young to be thrown into that fire... look at him now he is just starting to look a bit smoother under center! He needed a veteran like Brunell in his first year's.

The o'le ball coach made a bad choice in not aquiring the NFL veteran Qb. Waffle, & Mathews just not the right choice's.. Maybe he should have grabbed Groosman instead of Ramsey?

Ahh who cares.....WE HAVE GIBS BACK..... ALL IS GOOD!!!

Skinster!!!

Skin 4 Life

I think he can pull it off in the NFL.

He's got to be surrounded by the right people. Many of the posts in this thread were right on. The schemes can work, the protection has to be better, but first and foremost, he has to have better cooperation with management and his assistants.

He needs 'his' guy as the GM and 'his' guys in the scouting dept. Not that we have any bad people in our organizations, but we didn't have guys devoted to SOS's vision of players.

Granted he did get his pick of the litter in terms of assistant coaches, but not top notch guys. I think that was obvious. Lewis was the emergency plan and when he left, that was it for NFL experience. He wasn't neccisarily able to put together that great of a staff.

Don't get me wrong. I think he was right to step aside. It clearly woulnd't work here in DC, but in an organization that is not so high profile, has won before and already has some players that fit his scheme. St. Louis? Martz wont last.... Pittsburgh? You get the drift, but it's highly unlikely that he'll go back to the NFL.

Guest Westbrook36

Outsides of the Redskins and their fans, every fan in the NFL was happy to watch him fail after the way he came in guns blazing in his first preseason.

The stadium is about 5 miles from my house and i was there. You could tell Spurrier from a packed stadium from his facional expressions during that game...lol what a goof ball. Funny thing is his son Scott didn't play so well. He's the punter for that team and once he was punting near the endzone and muffed the putt and we recovered for the td. his son didn't seem too gifted in athletics for what i seen. the way that team played i'd hate to see them go up against some of the good teams in this county.

Originally posted by jrfriedm

The only reason I don't want to ever see Spurrier back on an NFL sideline is because I know he'll beat us. That always seems to happen to the Redskins.

You think Spurrier could beat Gibbs??:rolleyes:

For those of you who think that SOS could have been succesful if only Ramsey had been better at getting rid of the ball, you're kidding yourselves. There were a lot more problems than that. It wasn't just the scheme, or the qb play, it was the whole package. The defense, the special teams, the lack of preparation, it was all part of the problem. Spurrier didn't do the work. He was completely unprepared, and didn't do anything to get prepared, or get the team prepared. Westbrook 36 is right, he came in ****y with guns blazing, but couldn't back it up.

Outsides of the Redskins and their fans, every fan in the NFL was happy to watch him fail after the way he came in guns blazing in his first preseason.

I beleive most people both fans and other teams management dislike the skins.

Do not think it had anything to do with "blazing guns".

Dan has pretty done things against the grain since he got here and that bothers ppl.

I beleive this relates directly to how SS was viewed when his system did not work.

The only people that really wanted SS to succeed were the skins and their fans.

SS was just another attempt by Dan to improve the skins.

Course like so many it did not work out like he planned.

SS was a class act who bowed out gracefully...that speaks volumes to his charecter.

The sad things is i think alot of people hope the same thing happnes with Gibbs.

If he fails it will be one more thing to pile on Dan about.

Well i got news folks, Want to talk about "blazing guns"?

Then get ready because Smokin Joe is going to come out guns ablazing(in his own quite way).

Dan will have the last laugh.

Man what a great time to be a skins fan !

Hail to victory!

Should have known Spurrier and Snyder together would be a complete NFL nightmare. hell he got wacked for trying to run up the score in pre-season when he didn't even try. The media had a field day.

the things that get me are how bad the O-line was including weeks and weeks of false starts. plus his total non-comittal to the running game even when Passing was a disaster.

All else aside, I will be always grateful for the classy way in which Spurrier departed for Gibbs. He could of held out for way more than he did, but chose to be accountable and to not hurt the Redskins further. Thanks Ballcoach and good luck!

Spurrier's tenure here was a painful one for me. I really did pull for him to do well. But the fact is, he just was not prepared to be an NFL coach. Some people keep blaming the pass protection as the reason his scheme didn't work, but he just refused to run the ball (most of the time) and opposing teams knew that and teed off on Patrick. Spurrier was his own worst enemy.

I do thank him for allowing the "King" to comeback.

Originally posted by KBNJ

I still believe that he would have stayed and coached another year - yeah I said it again.... Snyder heard that Gibbs was sniffing around in Atlanta and asked Spurrier to step down - Plain ans simple.

Wish him well- in college.

I thought this too since the day Gibbs was annonced... When the press called Spurrier to ask him about it, he didn't even know he quit. I remember Snyder making it public.

Archived