Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tonight's RNC

semiskin

I have tried my best to avoid many of these election/political threads, but after watching this evening's RNC I felt somewhat compelled to post. But before I begin, I want to say that I am still an undecided voter, even after tonight.

I enjoyed what Mr. McCain had to say, and to some extent what Mr. Guliani had to say last night, but tonight's speeches by Gov. Schwarznegger and Mrs. Bush, were absolutely horrible. While both parties respective conventions have turned into nothing but mere homecoming pep rally's. Tonight's speeches were the most politically cliched laden speeches I have heard in recent years.

With already knowing that Gov. Schwarznegger would probably play the immigrant card and Mrs. Bush would talk about what a great man her husband was, I couldn't believe the lack of concrete substance in their respective speeches. People are dying everyday over in the middle east, people are being beheaded over the internet and all they can do is throw around words such as "freedom" and "heroes" as punchlines to get a roar from the crowd. I just felt that the issues that are plaguing our country weren't addressed this evening.

I will continue to watch the RNC as the week goes on, and will continue to be as objective as possible in deciding who I vote for in the upcoming election.

And for the sake of all involved I won't even go into what the Bush twins had to say.

:doh:

Have to disagree on both, Laura was there to humanize GW and I thought she did a pretty good job at that. I thought Arnold was brilliant, he did a great job at energizing the base, explaining his background and why he feels how he does. The Bush twins weren't anything special but their not politicians, what would you expect from them.

All I heard from my lefty roomates, who didn't watch the DNC mind you, was that Arnold created a circus event that culminated with the Bush daughters. :rolleyes:

I thought Barbara (younger, thank you very much ;) )was gorgeous and they were witty. Arnold was good. Laura was very good, but has a very monotone delivery. But hey, whatever.

First two nights have made the DNC look like a funeral.

Originally posted by Brown 43

Semi, let me save you some time, vote for Kerry :puke: :puke:

I just can't bring myself to do that just yet. I'm expecting some more subtance filled speeches from Cheney and Bush. From what I was hearing on Sean Hannity's radio show today Cheney apparently has a really good speech prepared for tomorrow. I'm just not a big fan of "ra-ra" politics, and it's just something that I have been seeing a lot of as of late, from both parties.

Originally posted by jbooma

I heard Arnold stole the show and the Bush daughters look good :)

Right on both counts, and Mrs. Bush may have been a little monotone but I saw highlights of Mrs. Kerry's speech at the dnc, and Laura is 10x more likeable and more charismatic then her. IMHO

Originally posted by semiskin

I just can't bring myself to do that just yet. I'm expecting some more subtance filled speeches from Cheney and Bush. From what I was hearing on Sean Hannity's radio show today Cheney apparently has a really good speech prepared for tomorrow. I'm just not a big fan of "ra-ra" politics, and it's just something that I have been seeing a lot of as of late, from both parties.

Ra-ra is likely what you are going to get. They are going to try their best to stay somewhat positive, except when speaking of 9/11. The DNC focused on all the negatives, and they are all attributed to the right, so what do you expect them to do?

The last thing they are going ot do is go on the defensive or all out attack the left. That is what Hannity, Limbaugh and O'reilly are for.:laugh:

Originally posted by IAMBG

Ra-ra is likely what you are going to get. They are going to try their best to stay somewhat positive, except when speaking of 9/11. The DNC focused on all the negatives, and they are all attributed to the right, so what do you expect them to do?

The last thing they are going ot do is go on the defensive or all out attack the left. That is what Hannity, Limbaugh and O'reilly are for.:laugh:

I agree with your statement BG. The incumbent will always be attacked by his challenger, no matter what type of election it might be.

More than anything what I'm trying to get at is this, many people feel that this election may come down to these so called "swing voters", which is where I guess some may classify someone as myself. It was just a bit to cheery for me, someone who was trying to learn more about what Republicans are trying to accomplish with this election.

I, who am a 1st generation American, had a hard time relating to Schwarznegger's sentiments of being an immigrant. As we all know he didn't exactly come over on a raft or come running past border control(nor did my parents for that matter, both my parents are diplomats, hence the DC connection), he was famous before he came over here.

I am a big fan of:

IF you do not know who you are going to vote for:

1. You are an idiot

2. You have paid no attention in the last 18 months

3. Your life is sooo good you just got back down...

Take the 4 things that mean the most to you:

Then vote for the other party so they can triangulate and try to take it away from your party for the next election.

:)

Regarding the lack of substance so far. None of the speakers are policy makers in the administration so I didnt expect them to have much to say about policy.

I thought Mcains speech was good, he settled any questions about who he supports.

Guiliani was funny and articulate

Arnold hit the ball out of the park as far as I was concerned. He did a lot to define what a Republican is.

The Bush daughter, well, at least its over.

Laura Bush spoke about quite a few things, mostly about his domestic policies, and the agnst Bush had before sending people into combat.

I too am waiting for more substance and think we will start seeing it tonight.

I, who am a 1st generation American, had a hard time relating to Schwarznegger's sentiments of being an immigrant. As we all know he didn't exactly come over on a raft or come running past border control(nor did my parents for that matter, both my parents are diplomats, hence the DC connection), he was famous before he came over here.

All of what you say is true, with that said, he has embraced this country as his own and gone farther than he thought he would.

Anyone remember how bad his English was in the movie Conan? Seeing that movie, who would have thought he would end up as governor of Cal-i-fornia

Conventions are a waste of time. Nothing but drawn out info-mercials. It's not like in generations past where the parties actually used them to pick candidates. I wish they would go away. The last straw was the tradition that began with Dole of having the wives speak. Yawn.

I hate Bloomberg for (among other things) bringing the RNC to NYC and ruining my commute for a week. :cuss:

Originally posted by Hitman56

Not to mention the needless exploitation of 9/11 for political purposes.

But exploitation of Vietnam is OK with you?

Come on! 9/11 was the pivotal event in recent history. There was no larger life defining event that happened in the last four years. Our president handled that day with poise and foillowed it up by doing everything he told us he would do, inspite of it being unpopular. That's why I'll vote Bush this time around. I respect it when someone sticks to the tough and unpopular thing to do when it's right. True courage in my book.

In regards to the speech's last night... I thought Arnold was pretty good, and I was suprised to read in this thread that he was considered famous before coming here. Honestly, I didnt think that was true. I heard that he came here as a young teen. He also sais that he didnt even know english until he was 20.

I was bummed to hear an immigrant here say that Arnold's speech didnt resonate positively for him. I really thought that it would be uplifting for all immigrants.

I wish they had just skipped over the Bush twins. They sounded very young and not too bright. Mrs Bush was OK, said some good things, but I didnt like the delivery much. She still came off way better than Katsup queen did.

I watched the entire DNC prime-time speech's and plan to do the same w/ the RNC.

See I believe that most of who are 1st or 2nd gen. Americans would have and did relate of Schwarznegger's speech. Most of our parents or grandparents had huge hardships that they had to endure to get to this country. What Arnold was talking about should be a universal truth to all immigrants no matter when your family arrived in the States. More than ever I’m glad he’s a Republican, especially after last night.

Originally posted by Riggotoni

I hate Bloomberg for (among other things) bringing the RNC to NYC and ruining my commute for a week. :cuss:

No kidding, it took me an hour and a half to get to the Path since they blocked off everything for like 10 blocks. And of course they redirect you one way and when you get to where they redirect you there is another barricade not letting you through :mad:

Arnold impressed me enough for me to put him in my sig. He pulled out a lot of strong party lines, appealed to a distinct and important voting class, and managed to be as eloquent as I've ever heard him. Plus, he worked in all sorts of classic Arnie one liners. It was like watching a Best Of clip. Bravo.

I agree with your statement BG. The incumbent will always be attacked by his challenger, no matter what type of election it might be.

More than anything what I'm trying to get at is this, many people feel that this election may come down to these so called "swing voters", which is where I guess some may classify someone as myself. It was just a bit to cheery for me, someone who was trying to learn more about what Republicans are trying to accomplish with this election.

Yeah, it doesn't relate to me much either. I was embarrassed at certain points, because I knew some people wouldn't take him seriously. It was convienient that the Terminator was playing at the same time on AMC. :doh: :laugh:

In theory, it should ring true with many immigrants. Those who fought hard to get to this country and be active citizens and those who are trying. It's not like Ahnold was handed the keys to a sucessful career. It's hard work and he could have cut and run back to Europe and lived the life. No, he didn't and while he married into one of the most powerful families of democrats, he stayed true to his party. ;)

People think immigrants, they think Mexicans (illegals). What about my Mom? Irish immigrant, raised me by herself after becoming a citizen at 13. Same with my aunt and her family. My Uncle died before I was born. Talk about strong women, only my Mom's a staunch liberal. :) Chinese, Korean, Russian it goes on and on. Those types are definite swing voters. That much makes Ahnold a noble addition to the events. Whether he embarassed, annoyed or gave the RNC a circus element.

What is also compelling is adding more moderate R's to the events like McCain and Guliani. I know that is the typical rant all the delegates are talking about, but there is something to be said for that. Diversity is good. It's something that I don't feel has been attributed to either party in quite a long time. WHether or not that's a good thing, remains to be seen. I trust that we won't get the shaft. Furthermore, a platform is starting to be established and the idea of empowering and enabling people to tend to themselves rather than be forced to tend a certain way or regulated through laws is emerging. They need to hammer that home.

I am a swing voter. I am not R. Not D either, but definitely lean to the left.

Archived