Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

When a whooping is good.

Art

The last couple of weeks the Rams looked terrible. They got wrecked by KC. You've heard they wanted to put forth a better performance -- much like you yeard we did before Miami. And, they did. They clearly game planned some for what we've shown. Running a reverse pass, some motion handoffs, misdirections and the like. They wanted it and they got it and that's good.

Williams came afer them a little initially, then stopped once he replaced his defense, save the secondary. In all though, nothing all that exotic. Far less aggressive than the Miami game not only on the whole, but even for the parts Williams did turn it loose a little.

This is the very definition of a Gibbs preseason game. Do almost nothing. One counter here and there. A gut play here and there. That sweep play he's never run? Put that away for a while. Quick arrow routes. Same play, over and over, from different formations. Classic Gibbs.

For the young fans who've not seen Gibbs before, after watching this game you might think Marty and Jimmy Raye had the offense. Once the opener starts -- even if we get stoned -- you'll know the difference. The only thing Gibbs showed today is using his third receiver in the backfield and creating an easy TD if only Ramsey hits him.

Last game it was the sweep. This game it was that.

You've still seen almost NO movement at all. One guy in motion and the rest of the offense chillin'. If you remember Gibbs, you know how comforting this is. It's exactly what he used to do. If you don't remember Gibbs, you should be in an absolute tortured funk right now :).

Williams ran the same blitzes he ran last week early. Staggered middle blitz by two linebackers. A couple of corner zone blitzes. One Taylor run up. The Rams had it all covered. That's the NFL. That's what Williams is showing them. It's not always as easy as it's been.

Williams has said for a few weeks that he really wants Taylor to get abused by a receiver so he learns to respect the speed of the game. Not only did Taylor experience that at the hands of Holt, but, before the game, I thought perhaps a distressing game by his defense wouldn't bother him all that much. If you saw him go bland during the game, you'd know why.

You saw exactly that after the first couple of series.

Williams wants something to hammer home the next two weeks. He wants to have something to yell at his guys over.

The Rams did and showed a whole lot more than we did in this game. They were passing with a 25-point lead. Running motion hand offs. Blitzing. I'm watching them do all that and not seeing any response from Gibbs OR Williams and I actually found myself comforted for two reasons. One reason observed. One reason surmised.

I am surmising that the next two weeks will be a living hell for the guys on the team. They will get hammered on this game even if secretly the coaches know they didn't help them out as much as they normally might. The observed reason is the players know it.

You saw Gardner and Portis absolutely miserable on the sidelines. The defense meeting constantly. When have you seen Redskin players actually looking like they are upset about a loss in recent years? You saw that tonight from the sidelines. You saw guys who are upset they lost. Whether they care because they know they are going to be beaten to hell and back the next two weeks or because Gibbs has installed a fear of losing is irrelevant. In either case, the guys actually demonstrated that losing sucks.

I remember seeing guys hamming it up on the sidelines after losses before. My guess is all of these guys were thinking about the Tuesday practice before the Miami game as the score got out of hand. They were thinking, "Sh!t, we're going to get killed this week."

That's more guessing, but, it was comforting to see. They were uncomfortable at the loss. I can't say I've seen a Redskin team looking like that since Gibbs left.

From an individual perspective, the race for QB is over. Ramsey missed two BIG open throws to Thrash or there might be a race. The third throw to Thrash he missed was actually Thrash's fault for not being ready, but, in all, Ramsey looked only adequate. He didn't do enough to win the job. If he hits Thrash for a TD and on the fade or seam route, he might win the job. He misses those two and he's done.

Our run defense was really good until the third stringers came in. That's very encouraging. We'll be a stronger team against the run than we will pressuring the QB. But, we pretty much knew that. Antonio Pierce looked generally good. I think his versatility and special teams ability means Kevin Mitchell loses a job unless the team is afraid of Barrow's knee.

Dockery looked great tonight as did Samuels before he got dinged. I didn't see why Thomas was out, but I presume because he had fluid on his knee and it was a turf game, so why risk it. In all though, you saw what has to be Gibbs' worst nightmare as a coach returning to today's NFL.

Fast defenses will give slow developing offenses like his trouble. He's seen it in practice. He saw it tonight. That said, if he can get his guys to sack up, being bigger and stronger than most teams, he can simply wear fast teams down. But, to do that, he needs his QBs to complete the easy passes to continue drives and Ramsey isn't doing that.

Jacobs probably saved his job though the fumble hurts.

Russell is gone.

Lott is starting, but, just doesn't ever appear to be around the ball.

Taylor had a terrible game, but, again, makes a play. He's a guy who can be awful and yet still turn the tide of a contest with his ability.

Smoot was good early while Springs struggled. But, Smoot got beat later while Springs picked it up. A very uneven performance from the pair and they are very much the key to how Williams uses his defense. If they play like this all year, we're going to be no better than No. 15 on defense. If they make plays -- as Springs could have -- and stop guys, we'll be in the Top 10. You can see how Williams wants to let things loose. But, it depends on his corners.

I am not surprised we got beat tonight. I kind of expected it. And, given that, I kind of know how this team will respond when it starts to matter :).

well written and thought out thank you for the write up :)

I should have known or thought about it b4 the game.... sometimes I watch these pre-season games and expect a decent game plan and effort from everyone (as if we are in reg season). I thought it would of happened against Miami b4 that game... I have seen Gibbs do this b4 in the past. (coming out w/ a soft game plan)

In addition Ramsey also missed a wide open TE when he dumped to ball off to Rock on 1 play.

I for one am glad the DB's will get worked over and scrutinized for the next 2 weeks. They need the most work...IMHO

Art, i definately agree about the run defense. i knew as it got to the mid 3rd quarter and the reserves were in that the big rookie would go wild. but the starters and second teamers stopped all but about 2 running plays before that.

i trust Williams but Andre Lott doesn't 'seem' to be making any plays to me. Pierce looks pretty good. Sultan is a goner. Russell is a goner (good riddance). it is so unfair that i have good hands and no speed and he has tremendous speed and no hands.

Thanks for the summary. I didn't get to see the game and based on your post and what I briefly saw on post game I'm thinking I'll avoid the nonstop rerun on comcast this week. I am a firm believer that a good butt whooping is a good thing. Humbles them which is a good thing.

The bad thing for me I have to go to work on Monday with a Rams fan that I talked some serious smack to all day! YUCK!:puke: :(

Originally posted by milliondollarslim

Art, i definately agree about the run defense. i knew as it got to the mid 3rd quarter and the reserves were in that the big rookie would go wild. but the starters and second teamers stopped all but about 2 running plays before that.

i trust Williams but Andre Lott doesn't 'seem' to be making any plays to me. Pierce looks pretty good. Sultan is a goner. Russell is a goner (good riddance). it is so unfair that i have good hands and no speed and he has tremendous speed and no hands.

Exactly right, MDS.

I think the Rams had one rush over 4 yards in the first half. Our first and second teamers were very stiff tonight against the run. But, that's what our guys are best suited for anyway. In all, the run defense makes you extremely confident when it has guys who'll be on the roster. It's a very encouraging thing.

almost forgot, our return yardage sucked again but the kick coverage by both teams was excellent. nice to see Betts (although if you blinked 3 times you missed him).

Ralph Brown #22 is a goner. the key thing is getting Samuels to at least 95% on opening day. finally got to see a little of Jacobs , the fumble will hopefully be a lesson he never forgets!

almost forgot, our return yardage sucked again but the kick coverage by both teams was excellent. nice to see Betts (although if you blinked 3 times you missed him).

Ralph Brown #22 is a goner. the key thing is getting Samuels to at least 95% on opening day. finally got to see a little of Jacobs , the fumble will hopefully be a lesson he never forgets!

Our return yardage did suck.

But, our coverage was the best it's been in some time. Brown is not a goner. Trust me. He's the best No. 4 corner in the league :).

I wouldn't say Ralph Brown is a goner - the projected #4 CB against Torry Holt = higher percentage of getting burned

Originally posted by luckydevil

While we are on corner play

Did Bauman play tonight?

He played, but he had an illegal contact on that 3rd and 17. He was immediately benched. That's a message. That's a, "Be smart you dumb bastige. Think about the situation."

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I whole-heartedly agree. I still see us struggling in the first half of the season (as apparently you do as well), but the team reaction was encouraging. They KNOW that they will get hammered over the next 2 weeks for this game, as they should. But that is, how you say, Classic Gibbs. I was glad to see Taylor in with the first string for a while. I wanted to see him match up against Holt because I knew he would get beat. I think the funny thing is, Holt had no idea that that was the plan...for him to win those battles. At least, that's what I think, that it was planned. I also think that Martz had no idea either. He was really airing it out tonight, stupidly if you ask me. But maybe that's what they do every year.

Anyway, good post...I feel ya... :D

Originally posted by CowboyzSuckAzz

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I whole-heartedly agree. I still see us struggling in the first half of the season (as apparently you do as well), but the team reaction was encouraging. They KNOW that they will get hammered over the next 2 weeks for this game, as they should. But that is, how you say, Classic Gibbs. I was glad to see Taylor in with the first string for a while. I wanted to see him match up against Holt because I knew he would get beat. I think the funny thing is, Holt had no idea that that was the plan...for him to win those battles. At least, that's what I think, that it was planned. I also think that Martz had no idea either. He was really airing it out tonight, stupidly if you ask me. But maybe that's what they do every year.

Anyway, good post...I feel ya... :D

Dude,

you have some issues.

You may want to see someone about them. I would never put ANYTHING Redskins on my body, not even a burning Redskins emblem.

To each their own i guess.

Just remember, to me, that Cowboys emblem looks pretty cool. It makes it seem like the Cowboys are on fire, like a major streak over the skins or something.

I might have to get one.

Archived