Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Comcast Sportsnite: Spurrier at Ravens camp

JeffSchmeff

i know as a skins fan it seem ironic that he could be helping someone else, but its better to be objective about it. how ironic would it be if spurrier the consultant/offensive coordinator turns the ravens into the 1998 vikings or 2001 rams?

he's probably there to help in the pass offense/routes. there were always guys open but we just didn't have enough time to get the ball to them. also i think a big portion of our problems came from lack of adequate preparation so some problems were caused by lack of execution as well as scheme based.

Leonard Washington gave the only real explanation in this thread. You can bash him into the ground, but Steve Spurrier is a Heisman trophy winning player at the QB postion, and coached a mostly limp/noodle armed QB to a Heisman. He may not be the best at pass protection, but he can coach a QB.

Originally posted by gridironmike

Leonard Washington gave the only real explanation in this thread. You can bash him into the ground, but Steve Spurrier is a Heisman trophy winning player at the QB postion, and coached a mostly limp/noodle armed QB to a Heisman. He may not be the best at pass protection, but he can coach a QB.

So is that why Ramsey is spending so much time "unlearning" what Spurrier taught him?

Maybe were looking at this the wrong way....maybe SOS called and asked Billick if he could come watch a real NFL training camp, as opposed to the joke of one he ran here for 2 years?

Watching him on Comcast last night, standing with Billick and Fassal, laughing and yucking it up made me sick to my stomach. He wasted 2 years of the Redskins organization. :2cents:

:logo: :pint:

Originally posted by pga

So is that why Ramsey is spending so much time "unlearning" what Spurrier taught him?

most players have to unlearn the previous offense when the new one is brought in with the new coach--particularly if the reads are different.

if you think of the style of mathews and wuerful vs. ramsey the spurrier qbs played differently than ramsey (i.e. more willing to get rid of the ball/check down). matter of fact ramsey plays more like he did in college than a qb who has completely changed his style the pro game. so it could be argued that ramsey has never changed and that's why the offense sucked. btw i love ramsey!

Originally posted by Leonard Washington

i know as a skins fan it seem ironic that he could be helping someone else, but its better to be objective about it. how ironic would it be if spurrier the consultant/offensive coordinator turns the ravens into the 1998 vikings or 2001 rams?

he's probably there to help in the pass offense/routes. there were always guys open but we just didn't have enough time to get the ball to them. also i think a big portion of our problems came from lack of adequate preparation so some problems were caused by lack of execution as well as scheme based.

Good points.

Spurrier's failures had more to do with the his failure to surround himself with good asst coaches IMO.

Billick is a good coach and any good coach is always learning. Any time you think you know it all, the end is near.

Billick may have only wanted some opinions on a few things that he saw from SS's offense that were positives.

What if Spurrier had fired Helton and made adjustments with the blocking schemes, or what if the Skins QB was taking unnecessary sacks by holding the ball to long?

To just write of everything about Spurrier is kind of stupid IMO.

What if that happend to Bill Belichick after his Browns failure?

Football success has a lot to do with your surroundings and the players you have.

Does Joe Bugle suck because he couldn't win in Arizona?

Originally posted by Fred Jones

I am really looking forward to the explanation as to why he was brought in to take a look at the offense and give an opinion on how they look.

Forget just a moment that it is SS, stop laughing, why would any head coach bring in a former head coach that had nothing ever to do with the organization to take a look at the team and offer up some advice? Does Billick have no faith in his passing offense that he needs a third opinion. He already brought in Fassell.

Lastly, why SS? Billick could have asked some legendary offensive coach in retirement for a few pointers, but Steve Spurrier!!!!!!!!

I watched the Comcast clip - from what I could tell, Spurrier was there on his own. The Ravens didn't even notice him at the practice until one of the media guys recognized him. He sat in the bleachers during the practice and was invited down to the practice field afterwards by Billick out of respect. Billick joked that he asked Steve for some pointers about the offense. I think this theory that the Ravens have brought him in as a consultant are a bit overblown. The impression I got was that he simply showed up to watch practice and talk to some of his ex-Gator players.

Like Lou Holtz, the guy was a great college coach who stunk at the pro level. I just wish he hadn't screwed up the Skins in the process.

Originally posted by Butz65

I watched the Comcast clip - from what I could tell, Spurrier was there on his own. The Ravens didn't even notice him at the practice until one of the media guys recognized him. He sat in the bleachers during the practice and was invited down to the practice field afterwards by Billick out of respect. Billick joked that he asked Steve for some pointers about the offense. I think this theory that the Ravens have brought him in as a consultant are a bit overblown. The impression I got was that he simply showed up to watch practice and talk to some of his ex-Gator players.

Like Lou Holtz, the guy was a great college coach who stunk at the pro level. I just wish he hadn't screwed up the Skins in the process.

Good points, this makes more sense to me.

Spurrier still lives near DC and I would think there is no way he would attend a Skins practice.

You have to figure, he must be contemplating a comeback at the college level and Billick is a good coach, maybe Spurrier wanted to see how Billick ran his ship.

Maybe so, but I would be suprised if Spurrier just showed up at Ravens camp. Maybe he was invited and was observing from a different perspective. He may have not done what we expected, but is what he did any worse than what Norv did here? Year after year of 7-9, 8-8. Maddening.

Spurrier get's way too much hate around here. It wasn't his fault he choice the wrong team (owner) to start his NFL career with. As any rookie needs, Spurrier needed to be shown how to do things, but there was no one to show him, or maybe he had too much of an ego, or maybe both. None the less, I don't think it's all his fault like a lot of you, and I don't have any hate for him. He came into a bad situation.

Sit, he'd out coach any of you arm chair bums.

Originally posted by MonkeySkin

Spurrier get's way too much hate around here. It wasn't his fault he choice the wrong team (owner) to start his NFL career with. As any rookie needs, Spurrier needed to be shown how to do things, but there was no one to show him, or maybe he had too much of an ego, or maybe both. None the less, I don't think it's all his fault like a lot of you, and I don't have any hate for him. He came into a bad situation.

Sit, he'd out coach any of you arm chair bums.

What do you mean it wasn't his fault he chose the wrong owner? He had been pursued by other teams and he chose the Redskins, he didn't have to if he thought it was a bad organization. He took an 8-8 team on the rise and made them progressively worse, 7-9 to 5-11, all the while making more than any other coach in the league. If he needed to be shown how to be a head coach, then he shouldn't have been a head coach, an offensive coordinator first, maybe, but not head coach. As a rookie HC he deserved time to learn the ropes of the NFL but he refused to adjust his style, getting worse rather than better in his second season, so that's on him not anyone else.

Originally posted by China

What do you mean it wasn't his fault he chose the wrong owner? He had been pursued by other teams and he chose the Redskins, he didn't have to if he thought it was a bad organization. He took an 8-8 team on the rise and made them progressively worse, 7-9 to 5-11, all the while making more than any other coach in the league. If he needed to be shown how to be a head coach, then he shouldn't have been a head coach, an offensive coordinator first, maybe, but not head coach. As a rookie HC he deserved time to learn the ropes of the NFL but he refused to adjust his style, getting worse rather than better in his second season, so that's on him not anyone else.

He came here because of Dan's money, WHO wouldn't? The organization has been in shambles since Synder has been the owner. Just because Gibbs is back now, I think a lot of you like to block it out of your mind of how much a joke this organization has been.

This team has needed more than just great plays and schemes, and Spurrier wouldn't have done well here no matter what. Everybody KNEW what kind of coach he is. I think the type of coach he is can fit in a different environment, but no way in hell with the Redskins because of the way things are.

Who else other than Gibbs do you think could possibly fix this mess? And if you can't think of anybody else, it's saying a lot about this organization that it's only hope is a HOF coach.

Spurrier only coached 2 freaking years, and at the time that he came, I'd consider the Skins to be on the level of the Bengels and the Cardnals.

Look, I've been as big as a Redskin fan as a lot of you, but I'm humble enough to know that this franchise has been a piece of crap for a while now, and it's not all Spurrier's fault that he couldn't turn it around. Sh1t, were still waiting to see if a HOF coach can turn this mess around.

I still consider Steve Spurrier an offensive genius. However it's not suprising all the hate he gets around here. Washington Sports fans like to hold a grudge when a coach sabotages a teams chance at success. Marty was only here one year and he won in his last few games, thus he is not as hated. Norv Turner is more hated around here than Spurrier because of his lack of motivational skills and his boneheaded play calling past midfield. Not to mention is cluelessness sometimes.

Spurrier flopped yes, but does that mean he's a bust who cannot come back and be successful? I don't believe so. Joe Gibbs is Joe Gibbs because he knows how to surround himself with highly qualified people who are excellent at what they do. Spurrier never learned that, because at the college level and with the talent he had it probably disguised the flaws in some of his approaches. I'm still a firm believer if Spurrier had stuck it out and got highly qualified assistant NFL coaches to coach the OL and help him out with his subpar blocking schemes we could have been a playoff team. Go back and look at the tape! If not for the HORRIBLE blocking and Ramsey HOLDING the ball WAY too long, we would have moved up and down the field like nobodys business. Even without a Running Back.

And if all of you are so convinced it was only Spurriers fault, then I leave you with this. When Ramsey finally got injured and Hasselbech came in against Miami, the offense moved much much smoother and sacks went down. Why? Because Hasselbeck did not HOLD THE BALL. He made quick reads and got rid of the ball before the defense could get there. Ramsey was too busy(And this is still his flaw) Waiting for the WR to come completely open or come out of his cut instead of throwing in anticipation of where the WR would be. If he had just got rid of the ball right when the WR was making his cut instead of AFTER those sacks would have gone down by about 10.

All we needed was blocking, and our offense under Spurrier would have been pretty good. But I don't fault you for blaming spurrier because of the horrendous line blocking. Helton should have never been hired. But nobody is going to convince me spurrier can't succeed with the right people around him. Joe Gibbs can't succeed if he has subpar amatuer coaches coaching his players either. What good are Spurriers X's and O's without good coaches to teach?

Sometimes we just need to step back and take off our biased glasses and look at a situation objectively and logically. If you do that I'm sure you'll reach some of these same conclusions.:cheers:

Originally posted by MonkeySkin

He came here because of Dan's money, WHO wouldn't? The organization has been in shambles since Synder has been the owner. Just because Gibbs is back now, I think a lot of you like to block it out of your mind of how much a joke this organization has been.

This team has needed more than just great plays and schemes, and Spurrier wouldn't have done well here no matter what. Everybody KNEW what kind of coach he is. I think the type of coach he is can fit in a different environment, but no way in hell with the Redskins because of the way things are.

Who else other than Gibbs do you think could possibly fix this mess? And if you can't think of anybody else, it's saying a lot about this organization that it's only hope is a HOF coach.

Spurrier only coached 2 freaking years, and at the time that he came, I'd consider the Skins to be on the level of the Bengels and the Cardnals.

I think Schottenheimer had been turning things around as the team was on the upswing at the end of the year. Had he stayed I think the team would have been stable and performed reasonably well. Snyder's mistake was that he didn't want to give up control to him so he fired him after one year. I would say the Redskins were more like the Bengals or the Cardinals after Spurrier, not before.

Thankfully, Snyder has learned his mistake with Schottenheimer and is allowing Gibbs more control. I think a number of coaches could have come in and done well if they were allowed the control Gibbs has. That being said, I think Gibbs has the potential to exceed what any other coaches would do (in other words, he will be excellent whereas other coached might just be good).

Originally posted by steveskins

I still consider Steve Spurrier an offensive genius. However it's not suprising all the hate he gets around here. Washington Sports fans like to hold a grudge when a coach sabotages a teams chance at success. Marty was only here one year and he won in his last few games, thus he is not as hated. Norv Turner is more hated around here than Spurrier because of his lack of motivational skills and his boneheaded play calling past midfield. Not to mention is cluelessness sometimes.

Spurrier flopped yes, but does that mean he's a bust who cannot come back and be successful? I don't believe so. Joe Gibbs is Joe Gibbs because he knows how to surround himself with highly qualified people who are excellent at what they do. Spurrier never learned that, because at the college level and with the talent he had it probably disguised the flaws in some of his approaches. I'm still a firm believer if Spurrier had stuck it out and got highly qualified assistant NFL coaches to coach the OL and help him out with his subpar blocking schemes we could have been a playoff team. Go back and look at the tape! If not for the HORRIBLE blocking and Ramsey HOLDING the ball WAY too long, we would have moved up and down the field like nobodys business. Even without a Running Back.

And if all of you are so convinced it was only Spurriers fault, then I leave you with this. When Ramsey finally got injured and Hasselbech came in against Miami, the offense moved much much smoother and sacks went down. Why? Because Hasselbeck did not HOLD THE BALL. He made quick reads and got rid of the ball before the defense could get there. Ramsey was too busy(And this is still his flaw) Waiting for the WR to come completely open or come out of his cut instead of throwing in anticipation of where the WR would be. If he had just got rid of the ball right when the WR was making his cut instead of AFTER those sacks would have gone down by about 10.

All we needed was blocking, and our offense under Spurrier would have been pretty good. But I don't fault you for blaming spurrier because of the horrendous line blocking. Helton should have never been hired. But nobody is going to convince me spurrier can't succeed with the right people around him. Joe Gibbs can't succeed if he has subpar amatuer coaches coaching his players either. What good are Spurriers X's and O's without good coaches to teach?

Sometimes we just need to step back and take off our biased glasses and look at a situation objectively and logically. If you do that I'm sure you'll reach some of these same conclusions.:cheers:

I TOTALLY agree with you. I swear, it seems like some people didn't watch the games last season. They just remeber 5-11 and thinks that's the whole story :doh:

Okay... then please tell us specifically what it was in the environment at Redskins Park that kept Spurrier from becoming successful. It certainly wasn't the loss of Danny Woeful.

I know this isn't from the same poster, but I don't want to make another post just for the sake of increasing my count...

All we needed was blocking, and our offense under Spurrier would have been pretty good. But I don't fault you for blaming spurrier because of the horrendous line blocking.

The problem wasn't necessarily the line coach, although he was pretty bad, it was that some plays called for poor protection by virtue of the fact that there was a lack of proper players on the line. What kind of idiot calls a play that puts a TE blocking Simeon Rice, for example?!??? :doh:

Nick

I'm the biggest Spurrier basher there is, but as much of a horrible coach I think he was, I must admit that the guy was very creative when it came to getting receivers open. I remember several times when receivers would be really wide open and Ramsey just wouldn't have quite enough time to get the ball there, or sometimes he just wouldn't see the open man. It's not unreasonable to think that Billick might have valued Spurrier's opinions about getting guys open.

I think Butz65's explanation is probably closest to being correct though. SOS probably wanted to go see some football. Maybe he was trying to get a feel for if he wanted to comeback at some level next year.

Archived