Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: Griffin plans to change reputation

China

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-redskins-griffin&prov=ap&type=lgns

Griffin plans to change reputation

August 16, 2004

ASHBURN, Va. (AP) -- Critics point to Cornelius Griffin's decline in sacks, especially once he became a starter, and a reputation for making a big play, then doing little else.

The critics have an unusual ally.

``I say the same thing,'' Griffin said. ``You show flashes of greatness and then other times it's, 'That ain't the same guy.' ``

The Redskins signed the 6-foot-3, 300-pound Griffin hoping they'll see more displays of brilliance. They need it on a defensive line that is considered a weakness.

Griffin wants to prove he was worth the seven-year, $30.8 million deal that got him to leave the New York Giants after four seasons. At that price, the Giants said goodbye without a fight.

In New York, Griffin earned a reputation as a hard worker in the weight room, but an inconsistent player on the field. He had five sacks as a rookie reserve tackle, then just seven-and-a-half sacks over the next three seasons as a starter.

Sacks don't fully measure a lineman's effectiveness, especially at tackle. But even Griffin knew they revealed something about his play. Nagging injuries, he said, played a role. He also knows they don't explain everything.

``It was time for me to make a change,'' Griffin said. ``My first year in New York was OK. But after that I had a downfall. I can't blame it all on injuries because I didn't focus like I should have. Maybe I should have been more selfish trying to make plays. But I'm just trying to play more consistent. No matter how bad I'm hurting, I'm expecting to play well. That's how I think now.''

The Redskins like what they've seen. In the preseason opener against Denver, Griffin had a tackle for a loss and a quarterback pressure. He was quieter against Carolina on Saturday, getting penetration at the goal-line, but making no big plays. What they want, though, is the same thing Griffin wants: consistency.

``He's an explosive player,'' said Greg Blache, the Redskins' defensive coordinator/defensive line coach. ``He's very powerful, very quick. When he does his technique correctly, he can be as good as anyone around. He has the talent to do it and he has the focus right now. It's just a matter of getting him to stay that focused and detailed all the time.''

If that happens, his signing will be a huge success. Regardless, Griffin said he'll add something to Washington's defense.

``I know I can rush the passer, there's no doubt,'' he said. ``And I never give in. No matter how bad it gets, I'm going to fight.''

He learned that lesson before his junior season at the University of Alabama. Two months before the start of practice, his father was killed by a drunk driver.

``You never do get over it, but you go on,'' said the reserved Griffin, the fifth of seven children. ``It's always in the back of your mind. It's tragic, but you have to take and learn from it and it made me a better person. It made me stronger. It also teaches you what's really important and that no matter what happened to me physically, I knew that mentally I'd be all right. I had to grow up overnight and become a man. There was no one to bail me out.''

Now the Redskins hope he can bail them out of their line troubles.

``He can be unstoppable,'' Redskins end Renaldo Wynn said. ``He's a no-nonsense guy. He's all business. He helps everyone.''

The left out why is futility in NY was even more amazing. He was playing next to the best DLM in football. How do you get only 1 sack playing next to Strahan??? You'd think he'd get more sacks than that just by having the QB trip over his fallen body trying to get away from old gaptooth.

Originally posted by Wicked99

and u would think that posting negative comments on every f**kin thread on this forum would get old too but for some odd reason u still do it right pocono?

I thought Pocono would throw a comment in about Bugel. Pocono has no credibility. He is slanted with Eagle glasses.:eaglesuck

I think Blache has already shown his coaching ability.

His name flies under the radar a bit, w/ Williams calling the shots; but since he is able to focus and concentrate on the D-line, specifically, he may be able to get the absolute most out of each of these players. In fact, it's already showing a bit.

Originally posted by Wicked99

and u would think that posting negative comments on every f**kin thread on this forum would get old too but for some odd reason u still do it right pocono?

I don't know which threads are the F**kin threads Wicked but Ive only posted 2 comments and one question about whether Winey was injured. You see with you only cranking out posts at .35 per day someone has to fill in the empty space you don't use. The sad part is you used up three days worth of your thoughts talking about me.....Besides not every post I do is negative towards the Skins. Just the other day I said I thought the Ray Brown signing was a good addition because not only is he a reliable OLM but he'd be an easy interview for Sonny J because Ray was already on the Skins when Sonny came over from the Eagles.

JP....We've gone through this before. What part of my post was false and therefore not credible?

Griffin only had 1 sack?

Griffin played next to Strahan?

A DT playing next to Strahan should get more than one sack?

Originally posted by Pocono

The left out why is futility in NY was even more amazing. He was playing next to the best DLM in football. How do you get only 1 sack playing next to Strahan??? You'd think he'd get more sacks than that just by having the QB trip over his fallen body trying to get away from old gaptooth.

I asked myself that same question. But if he says he's off to a new start, I'll take his word for it. He's definetly off to a good start these past to games. He deserves some credit.

The Redskins defensive line will be solid. I don't expect to see any pro bowl performances in 2004, Griffin may be the only player in the DL group with the ability to be a pro bowler.

But a solid DL group that sticks the run and can get some pressure from Griffin, Upshaw, Daniels and the linebackers can help the team to a 10-6 type record and a spot in the playoffs.

Archived