Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

It's Hard to Hate Joe Gibbs

Angus

ok, I didn't start this thread but I will cut and paste for you!!

Richard Oliver: It's hard to muster hate for Joe Gibbs

Web Posted: 08/11/2004 12:00 AM CDT

San Antonio Express-News

It's just not the same.

Something's missing, and it leaves me feeling as lost and empty today as a discarded beer keg at a fraternity house.

I miss the hate.

The NFL season is upon us, bringing with it the same familiar promise of malevolence and antagonism that has captivated this Texas boy for decades. Like a squall line before a cold front, the emotions have usually rolled in with howling and thunder.

But not today.

The despised Redskins kicked off their preseason schedule on Monday night, and the occurrence hit with all the impact of a marshmallow dropped on felt. It was supposed to raise the usual bitter bile of loathing, to bring forth the comfortable contempt that has annually signaled the change from hot pavement to hot under the collar.

I wanted the same old anger, bubbling up like volcanic magma, but instead felt nothing more than a dull irritation.

Darn that Joe Gibbs.

The Washington head coach is back, and is simply too classy, too respected, too dadgum likable to detest. It's not like yesteryear, when Gibbs was a young hothead engineering championship teams with brash confidence, allowing his players to march into Dallas dressed in Army fatigues, hogging NFC East titles by scaring the sneer off the likes of former Giants coach Bill Parcells.

Now, Gibbs is a remarkable comeback story, a Hall of Famer who stood on the sideline at Canton, Ohio, looking like a sexagenarian Harry Potter, working his old magic to bring a moribund franchise back to life.

He's a feel-good story, a warm-and-fuzzy backdrop for a cold and heartless sport.

He looked, well, cute.

In a startling evolution, I found myself rooting for Washington against Denver and its severe head coach, Mike Shanahan, who often has the pinched look of a man who just swallowed a bug.

Following the Redskins' 20-17 victory, Gibbs was predictably pleasant and giddy, at one point unleashing that noted high-pitched giggle that sounds like a hyena on helium. Who can't appreciate that?

For a football fan raised to view the Cowboys as heaven and Washington as something a markedly different zip code from that, the development ranked as nothing less than a spiritual rebirth.

I haven't felt this kind of forgiveness in my heart since they brought red M&Ms back.

It's a stark contrast to only a few months ago, when the arrogant Steve Spurrier still prowled Washington's fields, the smirk on his face hiding the apparent cluelessness behind it. He was a wonderful target for Cowboys fans, as was Marty Schottenheimer before that and Norv Turner before that.

Even in Dallas' darkest hours, it has still managed to torture the 'Skins in recent seasons, and the venom flowed hot in veins pumping blue and silver.

Like most Cowboys fans, I grew up conditioned to despise the Redskins, mostly by sitting before the television as a youngster as packs of snarling adults spat insults and the occasional profanity at the screen when the teams met, usually when former coach George Allen popped up.

My divorced mother, who lifted up Dallas coach Tom Landry as a deified father figure for her impressionable young son, demonized the finger-licking, pompous Allen as a reviled challenger to all that was good and proper. If one of his thugs laid a hand on Roger Staubach, well, hell's got a spot for coaches like that.

The years changed, but the enmity didn't. Despising the Redskins became a rite of fall as natural as falling temperatures and the opening day of school.

Even today, I have a special place in my heart for former Giants linebacker Lawrence Taylor, who was nice enough to fall on the lower leg of Joe Theismann in 1983, breaking it and effectively ending the Washington quarterback's career.

Where's the forgiveness? Hey, one Redskin at a time.

Now, along comes Gibbs, who left his NASCAR racing team behind when Redskins owner Daniel Snyder showered him with enough money to wallpaper the Washington Monument.

As a result, Washington is suddenly the NFL's sweetest story, and I'm left bitter.

Still, there's a sliver of hope out there. Philadelphia is a pit of a town, and the Eagles strike me as kind of haughty.

And that Terrell Owens? A noted Cowboys antagonist.

I hate that guy.

Originally posted by afparent

In a startling evolution, I found myself rooting for Washington against Denver and its severe head coach, Mike Shanahan, who often has the pinched look of a man who just swallowed a bug.

:laugh:

Believe me, when the rivarly gets reactivated (that's right, 'cause they've been owning us lately), they'll feel the bile rise.

And yes, it is possible to 'love to hate' someone. If I'd had the chance, I'd shake Landry's hand and tell him I (1) have great respect for him and his organization and (2) I hate his guts whenever he's standing on a sideline.

I have a feeling we could end up as the most popular and liked team this year....IF WE WIN...I see people jumping on our bandwagon because of the obvious likeability of Coach Gibbs and a few of our extrovert players like Clinton Portis.

I will even go as far as to say if we were to make it to the Superbowl, we as underdogs would be huge fan favorites.

I felt the same way about Tom Landry. As much as I WANTED to hate that man, I couldn't! I think a lot of Cowboy fans feel the same way about Joe Gibbs. I was really p!ssed when Jerah fired him! He was the only one from the Cowboys organization that I respected.

I have a feeling they will start hating us again after week 3, not Joe Gibbs, but the Redskins. :D

Actually, I also find it hard to hate Bill Parcells. I did hate him when he was the Giants coach, but he's just done too much in his career and is too much of a character for me to hate him now.

Jerry Jones and the rest still get a full-on, venomous LOATHING from me at ALL times.

Originally posted by Chachie

Actually, I also find it hard to hate Bill Parcells. I did hate him when he was the Giants coach, but he's just done too much in his career and is too much of a character for me to hate him now.

Jerry Jones and the rest still get a full-on, venomous LOATHING from me at ALL times.

I'm of Japanese lineage and I hate Bill Parcells.

;)

I hated Tom Landry and his Cowboys. Hated the arrogance of "America's Team". But I respected him and the team he built. I easily rooted for the Landry Cowboys agaisnt the Steelers. The Cowboys and Stauback respresented the good, the Steelers with Bradshaw represented the bad and the ugly.

Originally posted by Kilmer

I hated Tom Landry and his Cowboys. Hated the arrogance of "America's Team". But I respected him and the team he built. I easily rooted for the Landry Cowboys agaisnt the Steelers. The Cowboys and Stauback respresented the good, the Steelers with Bradshaw represented the bad and the ugly.

I rooted for Dallas once in my life. NFC Championship against the 49ers in 81. Didn't know anything about the 49ers cause they sucked before then. I figured I would root for an NFC East team. they let me down then too....

Following the Redskins' 20-17 victory, Gibbs was predictably pleasant and giddy, at one point unleashing that noted high-pitched giggle that sounds like a hyena on helium. Who can't appreciate that?

Now that's a line to remember. :laugh:

Originally posted by afparent

Even today, I have a special place in my heart for former Giants linebacker Lawrence Taylor, who was nice enough to fall on the lower leg of Joe Theismann in 1983, breaking it and effectively ending the Washington quarterback's career.

Yeah, even today, I have a special place in my heart for all those Eagles fans that cheered when Michael Irvin broke his neck in the Vet, essentially ending his career...:rolleyes:

Aside from that remark, it was a good article & funny at times, but just like a Cowboys fan, he had to say something like THAT to bring me back to my belief that all Cowboys fans are in some way, inhuman!

:wewantd: :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :wewantd: :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :wewantd:

Archived