Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nightclub 9:30

Brave

One of my favorite bands (Marillion) is coming to the States for the first time in 7 years. One of the shows I'm looking at is in Washington at the "Nightclub 9:30." Can anyone give me any first-hand info on this place?

Is it a decent place?

Safe?

Reasonable accommodations nearby?

This is the closest concert to home, but I don't know much about the DC area. Any help would be appreciated.

I've gone to the 9:30 a number of times, and I think it's a decent place. The biggest issue is parking, but they do have a parking lot (which costs like $5 for the night) behind the club. And it's in a reasonably safe area, with police offers usually lurking about near the club. I've never felt unsafe either walking to the club from the parking lot, nor walking down the street to nearby clubs.

I am not sure if there are any nearby accomodations since I've always driven to the club, but I'd imagine there would be, or at least some within cab distance.

If you enjoy drinking acohol, the club also have bars on every level, including one down in the basement level that has a decent selection of drinks and beers.

BTW, I like Marillion, so maybe I'll check out the show as well!

EDIT: I just noticed that my avatar just changed from the cool Sean Taylor one to the bench warmer. :-( Heh.

I saw Dream Theater there a few years back. The line to get in was nearly wrapped around the building. The best advice I can give you is to definately get there early just to find a parking spot.

Can't help ya with the club, but I stayed in Old Town in mid July. OM gave me the heads up on the place, Holiday Inn Old Town. Great place, not what you expect from a Holiday Inn. AAA discounts, and shuttle service to and from the metro. Don't know if the location would work, not knowing the area.

:cheers:

I've been there a couple of times. Good area. I always got lost going there, everytime. I saw 4 different shows there, all good. I saw Korn there a few years back and it was one of the best shows I have ever seen. I have never seen people mosh on a balcony before.

Hope you have fun, good little concert club. Haven't been in about 5 years though, so I don't know much about it now.

Brave if you don't mind walking through a not so nice area you can find free parking. Around the corner you will see I think is the dorms for a DC University, on that street next to the dorms is a lot of meter parking which is normally open.

Very small club. Kind of broken up into rooms and the mainstage room only holds a couple hundred people, maybe a thousand.

I saw lots of punk shows there in the 80s. Wish I lived there now if Marillion is coming. One of the most underrated and underappreciated bands in history.

I think the university nearby is Howard University. Saw that on a map.

I plan on getting there PLENTY early enough to get into the lot with security, so parking shouldn't be an issue. Will have driving directions from MapQuest, so I'm not too concerned with finding it.

9:30 Club is probably one of the best venues you'll see a show at. In fact, it's been named best club concert venue in the country for a few years running. The sound is almost perfect and the standing room section (the whole thing is standing room--there is a balcony level) downstairs is wide, not long, so you never feel too far from the band but can be far back enough if you don't want to feel overwhelmed.

If you get there early enough, parking won't be a problem. You can pay to park as others have said, or you can park nearby on the street. I have done both and have never had a problem. It's right next to Howard University so it's pretty safe, despite not being in the safest neighborhood.

It's also a 5 minute cab ride to downtown DC, near Chinatown and MCI Center, so accomodations won't be a problem. A lot of good restaurants nearby too, but again you might have to cab it there to do that.

Originally posted by Kilmer17

Very small club. Kind of broken up into rooms and the mainstage room only holds a couple hundred people, maybe a thousand.

I saw lots of punk shows there in the 80s. Wish I lived there now if Marillion is coming. One of the most underrated and underappreciated bands in history.

Kilmer,

Yes, I remember seeing the Slickee Boys there long ago. It was originally named after its address 930. The 9:30 club has moved since then and is now larger.

Here are a couple of websites, the first gives you some history of the club, the second is the site of the new 9:30 club. Hope this helps.

Old 9:30 Club

New Nightclub 9:30

Archived