Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Espn Radio: John Clayton on O-gun

Lavarleap56

He said that there are whispers [perhaps from Dave Wannstadt?] that Ogunleye has given an "edict" to get a deal done (which seems curious since the Dolphins' current woes figure to be playing in O-Gun's favor).

Clayton added that if a deal does come down, don't be surprised if it's with the Redskins (shocker) who are "waiting in the weeds" and need a pass rush, especially in a year with the rule changes in the secondary make a pass rush absolutely essential for success. Clayton said he didn't see a current DE on their line getting 13 sacks this year, and it might be a feat for any 3 DL on the team to combine for that number....

hmm... this situation has been going far too long without some sort of resolution. It's safe to say that we are interested but Miami hasn't bitten yet.

Let's hope they do because while i'm not as skeptical about the D-line as Clayton is (because we can get sacks from our LBs), it's still a pronounced weakness.

I think we should ask the Phins to make an offer to us, as not to overspend for this guy. I have really grown comforatable with the team cohesion since Gibbs returned. I'm not exactly sure I want to see any of the players we currently have exit on the heels of something special. We must remember that the team can't be built in one offseason. I'd like to see how well the players he have are.

I'm not so sure that we should disrupt team chemistry by trading for an out of shape defensive end. I wouldn't make any hasty decisions just yet. We should sit back and watch our current players for a couple of games, before we decide that we need an upgrade at defensive end.

Originally posted by Redskins_SF

We should sit back and watch our current players for a couple of games, before we decide that we need an upgrade at defensive end.

That is precisely what is happening here...but there is definitely a lot of smoke about this subject. We are waiting to assess our pass-rush situation.

I don't think team chemistry will be affected much, even if we do give up a high-profile player, such as Gardner. Gibbs has this team in control, and if he wants that move, then this whole team will buy into it.

Originally posted by freakofthenorth

That is precisely what is happening here...but there is definitely a lot of smoke about this subject. We are waiting to assess our pass-rush situation.

I don't think team chemistry will be affected much, even if we do give up a high-profile player, such as Gardner. Gibbs has this team in control, and if he wants that move, then this whole team will buy into it.

I think that after Monday, you are going to hear alot more about this. I doubt that our pass rush against Denver will do anything to alleviate our fears or to silence our critics.

The Fins would be looking for a Boston caliber replacement, and the only person that comes close is Gardener or Coles, both of which I would hope we keep. Last year it wouldn't have surprised me to see Snyder trade off gardener and a draft pick, but with Gibbs back, I seriously doubt that will happen.

Trade Betts? blasphemy!!

Crazier things have happened:insane:

Still plenty of time to get him in shape (if he is not already....) and we will see tonight if we even have what resembles a D-line. I think it could be a long night trying to stop the run.

I think we may see Rock/betts go and possibly mcants/jacobs....RB-WR for the DE.....throwing in anymore is overpaying...IMHO

If it is Rock and Mcants both have starters experience.....doubt they will get more from anyone else.

We've been over this hundreds of times before, but why not....

A) "Out of shape"? Who says, and so what; training camp has been going on for a week. If we could get him for the right price, his not having been in camp w/ the Dolphins for a few days is completely irrelevant.

B) I don't think the Dolphins would have any interest in Jacobs. They need someone who can step in this season, not a promising prospect down the road. And we have Jacobs locked up for a few years for cheap, so should keep him. Gardner, though not a great #1, would go very nicely with Chambers -- and he's only under contract for one more year, and he's not good enough to franchise, so we don't have much leverage to keep him beyond this year and thus wouldn't lose much by trading him.

Well, didn't they also lose a safety to a season ending injury? Chris Atkins?

If Ohalete's gone from first string to 3rd stringer this year, seems a safety such as Ohalete or Lott might be an option as well....

I don't expect anything along these lines to change. Ogunlaye is a pipe dream we'd all like to see but it's got about a 1 percent chance.

I agree with bubba. I really don't see this deal baing made. I'll gladly eat my words if I'm wrong, though.

If Monday comes and goes, and our defense shows some nice creativity in the pass rush while still being effective against the underneath stuff, then we're in a very good position.... However, if thigns get ugly for us up front, then we're going to show our desparation.

Originally posted by bubba9497

not happening ..... move on

The Dolphins are not intrested in moving a rare/valued commodity. They can get a nice reciever pretty easily, much easier to find than a good/great DE. It's just not going to happen.

Archived