9. Ricky Williams Mia. 135.5

10. Tiki Barber NYG 123

11. Edgerrin James Ind. 120.5

12. Travis Henry Buf. 111

13. Curtis Martin NYJ 94.5

14. Stephen Davis Car. 93.5

15. Domanick Davis Hou. 87.5

16. Eddie George Ten. 64

There are many variables in determining the NFL's best all-around running back. It's an exercise in futility. Still the argument rages: Who is the best?

Look no further than LaDainian Tomlinson. Forget the Chargers' 4-12 record, the first pick in the draft (again) and all the other undesirables associated with San Diego. Tomlinson is, even if by the slightest of margins, the league's best all-around running back.

That fact should rankle those who contend San Diego "lost" in the deal after the Chargers traded the No. 1 pick in 2001 to Atlanta, which drafted Michael Vick. San Diego did not come out on the short end of the stick in that deal; Vick is not the league's premier quarterback -- but Tomlinson is the NFL's top running back.

Last season, Tomlinson was one of six running backs to rush for at least 1,500 yards, eclipsing the record of four established in 1979 and equaled in 2002. Yet despite playing behind a suspect offensive line, Tomlinson still managed to account for 46 percent of the Chargers' offense. His 18 touchdowns (13 rushing, four receiving, one passing) were 47 percent of the team's total.

Tomlinson has racked up 4,542 offensive yards the past two seasons, even after being held last year to two of the three lowest single-game totals in his career, 29 and 34 yards.

Yet he still cannot crack the American consciousness, much less a Pro Bowl roster.

"That just shows you what kind of respect we [the Chargers] have around the NFL, which is none," Tomlinson said of being snubbed last season. "If we want some, we've got to earn it ourselves. We've got to flat out, hands down, be better than other guys in stats. That's the way it's always going to be."

If that's the case -- being "better than other guys in stats" -- Tomlinson should have been the first back booking a flight to Hawaii. A look at Tomlinson's 2003 statistics in 17 categories reveals that he is overall the best of the best. Better than Priest Holmes. And Jamal Lewis. And any other running back by comparison.

"That No. 21 that San Diego has is the best I've seen in a long time. ... He's unbelievable," said Denver head coach Mike Shanahan. And CBS analyst Solomon Wilcots told The San Diego Union-Tribune, "L.T. reminds me of Barry Sanders with great footwork, great quickness and great stop-and-start ability."

So why doesn't Tomlinson get the credit he obviously deserves? Is it because he plays on the left coast, in games that generally are not "national" or prime time? Is it because he plays for a team that is just 17-31 in his three seasons? Is it because he doesn't seek the national spotlight to mug for paparazzi or Madison Avenue? Whatever the excuse, it's unacceptable.

However, word is getting around about Tomlinson. He garnered 21 All-Pro votes in The Associated Press balloting last year (one less than Holmes) -- up from four in 2002 (which was three fewer than Fred Beasley). And Sports Illustrated's Dr. Z tabbed Tomlinson as his all-pro back, saying: "No one combines pass catching and running as well as the Chargers' LaDainian Tomlinson does."

Still smarting after Tomlinson's omission from the Pro Bowl, Chargers head coach Marty Schottenheimer said, "I think he's the best running back in the National Football League. It's very, very disappointing when you see the quality of performance he has produced, in every regard.

"I've had players that have been overlooked in the past, but never one that I thought was as obvious as this one should have been."

Indeed, Tomlinson is the league's best all-around running back. And if stats make the back, here is something to think about: Tomlinson has rushed for 4,564 yards -- 351 more than all-time leading rusher Emmitt Smith had in his first three seasons. Tomlinson is 491 yards off Jim Brown's pace through 48 games, and 17 behind Walter Payton's.

Smith, Payton and Brown are the last three men to be the league's all-time leading rusher, so Tomlinson is in good company just three years into his burgeoning career.

The numbers support the case that LaDainian Tomlinson is the NFL's best running back -- and well on his way to becoming one of the game's all-time greats.

This coming weekend is the draft lottery for our fantasy football league (12th year coming up). A few of us team owners gathered this weekend and we discussed the upcoming season. Many already knew I'm excited at the possibility of finally being able to take a Redskin player with my 1st round pick...but were quick to say I may not get him.

Of the 14 owners, 8 of them said they will take Portis if they get the #1 pick. The basic consensus is Tomlinson/Holmes/etc may be better backs...but the thought of Portis' skill combined with Gibbs' offense had these guys drooling.

Happy to see opposing fans fearing us... :)

...sad to think I may not get Portis... :(

I know Denver has a good football tradition, but I think Clinton Portis is really going to take off playing in Washington. East Coast teams seem to get more pub, especially playing New York twice a year. He is already working it, on BET and ESPN talk shows. Of course, he is a little bit gangsta so that might hold him back in indorsements, but football wise, I really think he is going to get a lot of publicity this year.

LT is the best RB by a margin but LT is stuck on a horrible team so I am not surprised he's not getting anywhere near the same accolades as some of the other RBs that played on playoff caliber teams.

As for the ranking, I'd personally rank Portis ahead of Shaun Alexander and Fred Taylor.

Portis should be higher on the list, I really dont see anything much from Fred Taylor anymore.

Tomlinson, he is easily overlooked, he even was for the pro-bowl for some reason. Im guessing that if the Chargers dont improve this season, he's gonna ask to be traded or something.

8th is ridiculous for Portis. In case you haven't seen him play that much and seen his skills. Here are some stats:

Duece: 35 games started: 3,120 , 22 TDs, 4.5ypc

Alexander: 44 games started, 4,241, 46 TDs, 4.3ypc

Green: 57 games started, 6,014, 42 TDs, 4.7ypc

Lewis: 44 games started, 4757, 26 TDs, 4.7ypc

Taylor 68 games started, 6,356, 46 TDs, 4.6ypc

Portis: 25 games started, 3,099 yards, 29 TDs, 5.5ypc

Nobody can touch Portis on yards per game, TDs per game, or yards per carry except Ladanian and Priest. Not even precious Jamal Lewis. And these stats don't even bring his recieving skills into play. This list is insane. Portis 8. Come on. What a joke.

Originally posted by KevinthePRF

I think Tomlinson is the best running back in the league also.

I might biasedly put Portis 4th though behind Tomlinson, Holmes, and Lewis. Putting him 8th though isn't outrageous and is up for debate.

Perfectly said.

I'd put him at #4 also. He is definitely better than Shaun Alexander, Ahman Green, Fred Taylor, and Deuce McAllister.

If one takes into account ALL of the skills that make a modern HB, there are only 3 that can do it all and do it almost EVERY game.

1. Tomlinson

2. Holmes

3. Portis

Give Clinton Portis 2 years under Joe Gibbs. He'll be topping that list.

:point2sky

Originally posted by Sebowski

JAMAL LEWIS IS NOT BETTER THAN CLINTON PORTIS!!!!!!!!!!!

I wouldn't say either was better than the other, because they possess different running styles. Lewis is strictly a banger north & south type runner who is capable of controlling the clock. Portis on the other hand can change the game with one big play whether running or catching. He also is capable of running between the tackles but, not on the same level as J Lewis.

Originally posted by BleedB&G4life

I wouldn't say either was better than the other, because they possess different running styles. Lewis is strictly a banger north & south type runner who is capable of controlling the clock. Portis on the other hand can change the game with one big play whether running or catching. He also is capable of running between the tackles but, not on the same level as J Lewis.

They do have different running styles, but that doesn't mean you can't compare them. Look at the numbers, look at the film, Clinton Portis is better. Even if you throw out his recieving he is better. 5.5 yards per carry. 3 more RUSHING TDs in 19 less games!!!!! He is a better runner than Lewis. Not even close. Sometimes I think this board is a little too close to Baltimore. I can't get anyone to compare Lewis and Portis on other boards. There is no comparison. Portis is better.

Originally posted by laurent

LT is the best RB by a margin but LT is stuck on a horrible team so I am not surprised he's not getting anywhere near the same accolades as some of the other RBs that played on playoff caliber teams.

As for the ranking, I'd personally rank Portis ahead of Shaun Alexander and Fred Taylor.

You read my mind. :)

Originally posted by Hobo

Portis should be higher on the list, I really dont see anything much from Fred Taylor anymore.

Tomlinson, he is easily overlooked, he even was for the pro-bowl for some reason. Im guessing that if the Chargers dont improve this season, he's gonna ask to be traded or something.

Portis should be higher on the list, No. 8 is ridiculious. Holmes is a grenade waiting to go off, please reference age and see Marshall Faulk. Don't be standing when the music stops in fantasy football.

LT does have great talent and of course is on a weak team, but overall the best back.

Originally posted by Thiebear

I also said LT is the best pure running back...

I think Portis is being disrespected due to the system also....

If he does the same thing with the skinz... he moves WAY up!

I almost think that SI forgot that we changed coaches! Portis sure isn't gianing respect. It will be an interesting season.

Originally posted by RonJeremy

Let me ask a dumb question...why do they have Portis listed as playing for Denver? Where these numbers last years fantasy football production?? I need to look up last years stat's!

Thats a good question, what does the number actually represent unless I am missing something its not explained in the article?

Originally posted by RonJeremy

Let me ask a dumb question...why do they have Portis listed as playing for Denver? Where these numbers last years fantasy football production?? I need to look up last years stat's!

I was wondering the same, but its got to just be a typo. Jamal was coming off an average year, Ricky would have been in the top 5, and Ahman wouldn't be that high either if this was from last year.

Edit: I think I missunderstood you. Could be last years fantasy stats. I couldn't say without seeing the scoring system. In my system this list is pretty close Except George would be nowhere near it, and Moe Williams would be suprisingly high.

Here are the 2003 Top 10 fantasy points for RB's (using more traditional combined scoring):

1. Priest Holmes KC - 373

2. Ahman Green GB - 345

3 Ladainian Tomlinson SD - 344

4 Jamal Lewis Bal - 311

5 Clinton Portis Den - 275

6 Shaun Alexander Sea - 269

7 Deuce McAllister NO - 264

8 Fred Taylor Jac - 236

9 Ricky Williams Mia - 232

10 Edgerrin James Ind - 221

SI has Portis at #8?? Based on last years production and missing 3 games (I think!) somebody must be smokin' :cannibas:

I want to play in the league with a guy who thinks Portis should be 8th...what a moron :doh:

Excuse the spelling. I'm upset.

This was not a fantasy list. The list is suppose to be the rankings for the best RBs in the league right now. The system they used to score the RBs was a nice effort, but stupid. Any system that leaves Marshal Faulk completly off the list is inherently flawed. They gave points for games played, rushing attempts, and touches. Hell, Troy Hambrick almost had as many carries tha Portis! This also punishes Portis for Shanny resting him for the playoffs. RBs are not rewarded at all for production per touch! Isn't that the most important stat? Why is someone better because they did less with more carries and games played? Ridiculous.

Originally posted by Sebowski

Excuse the spelling. I'm upset.

This was not a fantasy list. The list is suppose to be the rankings for the best RBs in the league right now. The system they used to score the RBs was a nice effort, but stupid. Any system that leaves Marshal Faulk completly off the list is inherently flawed. They gave points for games played, rushing attempts, and touches. Hell, Troy Hambrick almost had as many carries tha Portis! This also punishes Portis for Shanny resting him for the playoffs. RBs are not rewarded at all for production per touch! Isn't that the most important stat? Why is someone better because they did less with more carries and games played? Ridiculous.

Just another reason not to get caught up in these articles.

Archived