Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Early Prediction about Portis...

Originally posted by cscmtp

after watching Stephen Davis run ALL OVER the Bucs last year, I think Portis' first game as a Redskin will involve 150+ rushing yards, and 2 TD's. Maybe even 200 total yards with this receptions.

I'm gonna say 164 yds rushing 37 yds receiving, 3 TDs, with one of those TDs coming by way of a breakaway run of 58 yds.

Originally posted by Tom [Giants fan]

My prediction for Portis for the year:

1,154 rushing yards.......14 rushing TD's

367 receiving yards..........2 receiving TD's

These numbers are for the full 16 game season. I'm assuming no injury.

I don't think that will be too far off myself Tom.

Whilst Portis has put up amazing numbers in Denver, there are two reasons I don't think he'll have quite the same numbers for us next year.

1, He has a heck of a job to keep up with a 5.5 yds per pop average. It's not impossible, but it's not exactly easy either.

2, He won't be worked as hard as he was in Denver, Gibbs always likes to have another back be involved and share the load some. Riggens had Washington, Rogers had Bryant, Byner had Riggs then Ervins. Portis will have Betts and Morton, maybe even a little bit of Rock.

Portis will not be overused, and hopefully, by keeping him fresh at some points in the season, it will stop him getting little niggles.

Actually Portis wasn't used all that hard in Denver. He had one of the lowest carry numbers in the top 10 RBs, if not the lowest. Yes he was injured for a game or two, but big deal. He'll be just as much of a work horse here as he was there. Yes I do think Betts is going to do a great job of backing him up. Still I remember all kinds of talk about how they plan on keeping him in on almost all 3rd downs and not needing a backup. He'll have at least 1,400 with a 4.8 YPC avg. because of how Gibbs can draw up great plays for him to run.

portis is so complete he could be the next barry sanders.

portis is so young he could give emmit's record a pretty big scare.

ahhhhhhh! what a day of reckoning that would be for cowboy fans. i just hope him being so young withnall that money doesn't......

1200-1300 yards, another pro bowl, may have upwards of 300-400 receiving yards. As long as he remains healthy, he should do well, even under Gibbs system, he just keeps getting those breakaways and Gibbs can still rotate him around.

Guest SkinsHokie Fan

Portis is going to do some unbelievable things. I can't even begin to say what it will be.

But I predict he will rush for at least 1400 yards and 12 touchdowns, along with 35 receptions and 2 or 3 catching TD's

I don't know why you guys are sooooooo concerned about Portis health. He's as big as Barry Sanders. Sanders had a good run in the NFL. He chose to walk away. I believe Sanders also had a

5.0-5.5 average yds per carry.

Portis has the same elusiveness. It's difficult to get a full shot at him. He bounces off would-be tacklers and most of the time he is brought down from behind. I believe the Redskins OL is as good as the Lions OL during Sanders tenure in Detroit.

Portis is also a good receiver, which means he is a three down player. We don't need Morton on third downs. If Morton doesn't improve his return #s, he could be a sal-cap casualty. IMHO, the Morton signing was NOT a good one, considering his salary.:cool:

Originally posted by cscmtp

after watching Stephen Davis run ALL OVER the Bucs last year, I think Portis' first game as a Redskin will involve 150+ rushing yards, and 2 TD's. Maybe even 200 total yards with this receptions.

I think Portis will have a good game but the analogy with him and Davis do not make sense. The Bucs have a very fast defense, the backs that hurt them are the big guys who pound it between the tackles (while their modo is stop the run on the way to the QB) Should be a great game.:helmet:

Originally posted by FlyinO

portis is so complete he could be the next barry sanders.

portis is so young he could give emmit's record a pretty big scare.

ahhhhhhh! what a day of reckoning that would be for cowboy fans. i just hope him being so young withnall that money doesn't......

A little over 14,000 yards to go.

Start the countdown.:rolleyes:

Originally posted by HeHateMe

A little over 14,000 yards to go.

Start the countdown.:rolleyes:

OK :D

RUSHING

Year Team G GS Att Yards Avg Lg TD 20+ FD

2002 Denver 16 12 273 1508 5.5 59 15 11 79

2003 Denver 13 13 290 1591 5.5 65 14 13 76

TOTAL 29 25 563 3099 5.5 65 29 24 155

RECEIVING

Year Team G GS No Yards Avg Lg TD 20+ 40+ FD

2002 Denver 16 12 33 364 11.0 66 2 3 1 16

2003 Denver 13 13 38 314 8.3 72 0 3 1 10

TOTAL 29 25 71 678 9.5 72 2 6 2 26

I don't think Portis will run in for a TD within 5 grabs against the Bucs on opening day ... Monte Kiffin is a pretty stellar D-Coordinator and one of the better ones in the league. The Bucs had an off year last year and had a bunch of injuries towards the end of the season. Does everyone remember how they started out the season ... with the shutout in Philly? This is going to be a very hard fought football game and we would be wise to minimize our expectations of quick, immediate success with Gibbs return to the sidelines. He may be a bit rusty in getting the feel for the game or half time adjustments at first. We should be cautious about getting too optimistic and setting our expectations too high ... at first.

Originally posted by Tom [Giants fan]

My prediction for Portis for the year:

1,154 rushing yards.......14 rushing TD's

367 receiving yards..........2 receiving TD's

These numbers are for the full 16 game season. I'm assuming no injury.

You can't be serious, Tom. Portis averages over 200 yards a game EVERY GAME. has over 3,100 yards in less than 30 games played. to get your 1,154 he would average 72 yards a game. figuring he'll get at least 20 carries a game, you are counting on him averaging less than 3.6 yards a carry. Portis has never averaged less than 5 yards a carry, and now he is running behind a better O-Line. The Dirt Bags will help him break 1,800 yards on the ground. I see him challenging Ladanian for most yards from scrimage.

Portis will be successful here if (like any quality player) he is fortunate enough to have good health. but speaking of good health, i think Ladell Betts will get his share of carries and possibly contribute around 500 yards rushing or more for the season. My opinion is that he is a fine runner who could gain 1100 to 1200 yards if he were the starter (under bugel/gibbs coaching).

also, while there is no certainty, i can't help but believe that Byner will be a great asset as a RB coach , especially to the younger inexperienced guys.

by the way, i read somewhere that Rock is now going to be used as a halfback (a good move) and has lost a little weight toward that goal. as a change of pace he could be very effective.

Originally posted by Joey T

I don't know why you guys are sooooooo concerned about Portis health. He's as big as Barry Sanders. Sanders had a good run in the NFL. He chose to walk away. I believe Sanders also had a

5.0-5.5 average yds per carry.

Portis has the same elusiveness. It's difficult to get a full shot at him. He bounces off would-be tacklers and most of the time he is brought down from behind. I believe the Redskins OL is as good as the Lions OL during Sanders tenure in Detroit.

Portis is also a good receiver, which means he is a three down player. We don't need Morton on third downs. If Morton doesn't improve his return #s, he could be a sal-cap casualty. IMHO, the Morton signing was NOT a good one, considering his salary.:cool:

He has a knack of picking up the nagging injury. Plus RB's take the most punishment. Tearing an ACL, please see EJ,TD,& Jamal Anderson, has to be a major concern for any RB.

Portis won't be facing KC or SD and stopping the run is important to TB and they're good at it so I see Portis getting 40 yds on 15 carries in the opener. All good backs have better numbers against teams weak V the run but I think Portis #'s are greatly inflated because of the incredible percentage of games he's played against the teams weakest against the run. Almost 1/3 of his starts have been against teams that finished 29th-32nd against the run that year.

This year he'll be running behind an OL that wasn't very good blocking for the run last year. I know a lot of people expect Bugel to change that but in his most recent stint in coaching with the Chargers he wasn't very successful getting a pathetic 3 yds per carry for 2 full years. After seeing what he did during 4 years with SD one really has to wonder if Bugel created the Hogs or if the Hogs created Bugel?

Pocono

I can only imagine that those bottom of the league run defenses you are referring to are the teams that reside in the AFC West. However, what you fail to point out is that there are 2 other top backs that have made a living beating up on those defenses: Priest Holmes and Ladanian Tomlinson.

So are all the defenses out in the west really THAT bad or did they just have the misfortune of having to defend 3 of the top 5 running backs in the league? If you took the Raiders out of the AFC West and put them in the NFC East last season, do they finish dead last in the league in run defense? I don't think so.

I think it's your Eagle biases speaking when you choose to say that the AFC West made Portis what he is. But if you continue down that road, I do hope you are just as quick to take yards away from LT and Homles as you are at slighting Portis.

Archived