Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Putting 2 and 2 Together... A Subtle Hint to Arrington?

China

I noticed this in an article Bubba posted earlier:

"We want everybody here, if somebody's not here that's a real discouragement," Gibbs said. "The players that everybody knows is going to carry a lot of attention and everything, I think it's really important for those guys to be here. Sometimes they're the ones that say 'I don't have to do this.'

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/football/nfl/06/06/bc.fbn.redskins.minicamp.ap/

I also noted that Nunyo noted that Arrington was one of the guys who missed some of the OTAs.

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=62900

Deerfield Beach, FL: Nunyo,

The coaching staff has been very cryptic about who has been missing from workouts, but they sure haven't hidden their disappointment in the fact that not everyone was there. Can you tell us exactly who has been absent?

Thanks!

Nunyo Demasio: Tough question right off the bat, huhn.

LaVar Arrington missed a few OTAs. And also, Sean Taylor wasn't around for a few workouts.

Okay, they've been outed.

Putting 2 and 2 together, do you think Gibbs was sending a subtle message to some of the players, Arrington in particular?

Originally posted by Rock-Bufford

I think you just cracked the code.

Gibbs is going to get rid of Lavar Arrington!

Seriously, I won't read too much into it. 95% is a huge turnout.

I wasn't saying he was going to get rid of Lavar, merely that he is perhaps saying that he expects the "core Redskins" and marquee players to set a higher standard.

I agree that Arrington would need a subtle hint to put 2 and 2 together.......like YO LEVAR.....4......seriously[OK it wasn't funny] the biggest change I think Gibbs will notice from his first time around is how little motivational leeway a coach has once his players have received their huge signing bonus checks and really can't be cut in the immediate future. It's like Levar you should be here....yeah right coach but i was looking for the 6.5M that was missing from my contract...you haven't seen it lying around have ya.....Well Levar you're a team leader and you should be here...sure coach I want to be but I have to find that money.....

After the whole refusing to call coach Gibbs thing and now not wanting to show up for some of these workouts I have to wonder if Lavar isn't just someone who wants to be a leader only when its convenient for him.

Granted these aren't two heinous offenses, but when the HC has to keep dropping hints to the media in hopes of getting your attention...well, it doesn't speak well of being a 'team leader'.

Arrington and Taylor are two younger, talented players that will be benefit greatly from being coached by this staff.

For some players, it takes seeing things turning around for them to completely buy into the program and Arrington may be in that category.

Gibbs isn't going to get rid of these players, even if the cap allowed him to do so. They are too talented.

Unless a player is on drugs or refuses to get in shape I think Gibbs takes it as a challenge to get guys to play the game his way.

This is just silly. No one here knows why or even IF these players missed a workout. Gibbs is dropping hints to the entire team, not one or two players.

Call me when they are no shows for training camp and not one or two voluntary weighlifting sessions.

Well, as somebody mentioned later in the chat to correct Nunyo, Taylor couldn't attend a few of the workouts because draftees aren't allowed to participate until after graduation. I wouldn't worry about Taylor. Even for the fifth pick, you'd have to be an idiot to not attend every workout as a rookie.

since he left Paterno at Penn St, Arrington hasn't exactly had a string of HOF head coaches to lead him into battle folks :)

is it coincidental that the best of the lot, Marty in 2001, got the best season out of Arrington so far?

The disturbing thing is how Nunyo phrased it, "OK, they've been outed".

What kind of crap is THAT?? Is he holding information back? If so, why? for what purposes? Does he think he's their buddy or something?

No wonder we haven't had much to read from the Post lately

to get close enough to the players and coaches there are things the beat reporters don't disclose that they see happen until years afterward.

when Maske left the Redskins beat I remember he talked about some things that happened under Norv that the outlets in Washington didn't report at the time.

par for the course.

Archived