Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

May 24 Interview - DW on Spurrier

Reaganaut

for complete interview:

http://story.theinsiders.com/a.z?s=64&p=2&c=261679

How was coach Steve Spurrier different as a college coach with Florida compared to an NFL coach with the Washington Redskins?

"The biggest difference was that he was hyper successful in college and that he really mastered that game like no other. Things didn't work out so well in the NFL with that particular organization. I do think if there was more time or different circumstances he could have done very well. I do expect he will be back coaching somewhere next year and I think he will do very well."

Things didn't work out so well in the NFL with that particular organization.

That's about the first time I've seen Wueffrel attempt to cover Spurrier's back by making a veiled comment about "that particular organization". As if... had Spurrier gone to any other NFL organization, his lack of discipline... gameplanning.... and OL schemes would not have reared it's ugly head. He was in over his head the moment he signed his contract and assembled the most inept and overmatched coaching staff in the history of the NFL.

I tend to disagree with this. Spurrier's problem in the NFL was his inflexability where offense was concerned. Personally, I never felt like his offense would work in the NFL. Ultimatly, I believe it proved to be his undoing. College and Pro are two very different things.

Originally posted by Cskin

That's about the first time I've seen Wueffrel attempt to cover Spurrier's back by making a veiled comment about "that particular organization". As if... had Spurrier gone to any other NFL organization, his lack of discipline... gameplanning.... and OL schemes would not have reared it's ugly head. He was in over his head the moment he signed his contract and assembled the most inept and overmatched coaching staff in the history of the NFL.

Somewhere in Huckleberry, Louisiana, Danny Woeful is sitting in his living room with a protective glove on his hand and waxing philosophical for the locals and anyone in the media who'll listen to his pearls of wisdom. Must be a pretty lonely gig.

Again, Spurrier's problems were he was not a detail person; he constantly defied the notion of blocking for the QB; he lost the respect of today's NFL player and he supported his coaches who were weak. Steve can call a game and will be a great coach again at the college level.

Nah, I think he could have done better too with another organization. We went all out to hire Marv Lewis in SS's first year. Had we gone out and hired somebody who was accredited but wasn't going to leave in a year, it could have given SS a counterpart to balance his leisure.

Originally posted by blakman211

Nah, I think he could have done better too with another organization. We went all out to hire Marv Lewis in SS's first year. Had we gone out and hired somebody who was accredited but wasn't going to leave in a year, it could have given SS a counterpart to balance his leisure.

Good point. It would have been interesting to see what we could have done under Lewis' D after a somewhat promising 1st year.

Spurrier may have done well in different circumstances, that can be said of any player/coach. If Spurrier became an offensive coordinator, he definitely could do a lot more damage, he just needs to be complemented with a good o-line coach like Bugel, and needs some good weapons. Also, there does have to be a lot to learn jumping from college to the NFL, in this day college can never define completely if they are good for the NFL.

Why do you think the NFL didn't work out for Steve Spurrier like it did in college with Florida?

"There are a lot of things. If he had a little more time and was in a different working environment, he might have had a better chance. One thing he has always been in good at is finding a way to win and sometimes it takes time to take it to that level."

Its clear to me in retrospect that Spurrier was never really committed to being coach of the Washington Redskins. His heart and passion weren't in it. It was a huge payday and ego stroke that he simply couldn't turn down. I don't believe for a second that he had any real quest to prove 'his system' could make it in the NFL. If that were the case, he'd have never walked away as quietly and passively as he did, at such a low point.

Ironically, I could never harbor any ill will against Spurrier, as harsh an assessment as that is. I think he was a nice guy. But it takes a lot more than that to get the job done. He just didn't care all that much. Plain and simple.

He said himself it took more then he thought. I think the way he put it "the NFL is a real grind". He knows it takes more hours and effort than he was/is willing to put in, so why would he just go to another NFL team? We gave him everything he asked for (except Danny Wuerrful).

I think he will be a coach next year, but it will be at a college team in the south, maybe Florida, where he'll be the big fish in a small pond again.

Originally posted by arrowhead

Somewhere in Huckleberry, Louisiana, Danny Woeful is sitting in his living room with a protective glove on his hand and waxing philosophical for the locals and anyone in the media who'll listen to his pearls of wisdom. Must be a pretty lonely gig.

Amen... :notworthy

Spurrier is not head coach material. It has been documented too many times and in too many ways for Woeful to think the organization sabotaged him. He needs to get over being cut. It isn't as if anyone else in the NFL other than SS was knocking down his door to get him.

Nick

Wuerffel is covering for his mentor. No surprise there. We all know what happened, so I care little about his comments. I'd be more surprised to have read about him being critical of SS.

Anyone want to bet that Spurrier's next gig, if he opts for it, will include Wuerffel as an asst. coach?

Originally posted by DougWilliams

i think one reason spurrier failed was because the staff he put together wasn't very good. Obviously Marvin was a heavy weight, but I don't believe anyone else really was.

I think this is obviously the correct answer.

Originally posted by arrowhead

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

well, all i have to say is jimmy johnson. he walked into a goldmine in dallas, then what did he accomplish with miami? his drafts were average, playoffs once and had hall of fame qb, sure not in his prime, but better than most. spurrier did not get the job done, no doubt and he will admit it. but some of these comments are so misinfomred.

and arrowhead, what a jerky thing to say about one of the nicest, most humble people on earth. danny w. i ask you, can you say you lead a better life than him? would you give up big $ for a football career and do what he is doing, where he is working? you still can. but with an attitude like that, you wouldn't fit the bill.

Archived