Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Zwire: Garcia thinks Browns drafted a gem in rookie TE Kellen Winslow Jr.

bubba9497

Garcia thinks Browns drafted a gem in rookie TE Kellen Winslow Jr.

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=11764120&BRD=1698&PAG=461&dept_id=21848&rfi=6

Kellen Winslow Jr. ran a 15-yard curl in quarterback school Thursday morning as Jeff Garcia threw a pass low. Shoe-top low.

Winslow reached down with his left hand and caught the ball with the ease of picking a flower.

It was one of those plays that illustrated why the Browns used their first-round draft choice on Winslow, but it is also a play the Browns never want to see unfold in a game. Although there is no contact in quarterback school, Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis would cream Winslow if the Browns' rookie had to stoop to make that catch in the season opener Sept. 12.

"Kellen Winslow is the real deal," Garcia said. "He approached me about working extra next week to get on the same page. I think it shows he has a lot of drive to be as perfect as possible on the football field. He's like a 10-year veteran as far as his work ethic and attitude and what he wants to see come out of himself. I think it's important we're on the same page in order to make plays come Sundays."

Increased point production is the biggest goal of the offseason, and Garcia and Winslow are the two biggest additions to the offense. Everything they do from breaking one huddle to huddling for the next play is scrutinized.

So is what they say. Winslow's last remarks from minicamp earlier this month were arrogant. He said it would not matter if he didn't get to training camp on time because he would have his playbook to study.

Winslow on Friday talked about the urgency of being signed and in uniform by the time full-squad workouts begin July 30.

"I found out I won't have my playbook (players don't get playbooks until they sign)," Winslow said. "I will have my notes, so I'll still know the plays, but it's all about reps, being there, getting into the guys and meshing with the quarterbacks. So it is important to get in on time.

"I'm a competitive guy. I want to be here and do great things. If (a holdout) gets to a week or something like that, I'll go nuts. I'm sure (the Browns) will offer a fair deal. They traded a pick for me."

Winslow shrugged off his spectacular catch earlier in the day as though it were the easiest thing in the world. It seems as if every practice he does a "Wow!"

During minicamp, Winslow stood out by holding his poise when linebacker Chaun Thompson tried to rough him up. Ben Taylor shoved Winslow in the back Thursday, and this time Winslow shoved back hard, knocking Taylor to the ground.

"I want to be a playmaker and do great things for the team," he said. "I love the challenge. Right now, I'm still thinking. I have to work on the little things. My mind is going haywire. It's the same plays, just different terminology."

Absent, with leave

Quarterback school is not mandatory. Nevertheless, more than 70 players were on the field Thursday.

Several key players were missing with excused absences. Starting middle linebacker Andra Davis was attending his mother-in-law's funeral. Running back James Jackson is in Miami with his wife, who gave birth to the couple's second child earlier this week.

Defensive end Ebenezer Ekuban is recovering from arthroscopic knee surgery, and safety Robert Griffith and defensive tackle Gerard Warren were also absent. Warren was in camp the first three days.

Not here, but

Nothing has changed in the Tim Couch situation. He is on the roster but not in quarterback school because Coach Butch Davis does not want him around. Davis said Couch could still be traded to Green Bay, but so far no contract has been offered.

Davis said he has no plans to release Couch after June 1 if Couch does not get a contract offer from another team. Couch is scheduled to make $7.6 million and count $9.3 million against the salary cap this season.

Did you honestly think dude was just gonna' say he planned on holding out? :laugh:

I don't think anyone plans on it and that's more in the agents' hands than the athletes (IMHO) because the agents are ultimately in for the best interests of themselves.

No one here has ever doubted how good Winslow is going to be. Time will ultimately tell, but he wasn't a pressing need and this is an old, old subject.

Nick

Originally posted by jbooma

10 year veteran, maybe we can get him when he becomes a free agent :point2sky

and he said he is going to signed on time, now what did everyone here say :rolleyes:

Actually... here's what he said:

He said it would not matter if he didn't get to training camp on time because he would have his playbook to study.
If (a holdout) gets to a week or something like that, I'll go nuts.

He's the generic statement of the month:

I will have my notes, so I'll still know the plays, but it's all about reps, being there, getting into the guys and meshing with the quarterbacks. So it is important to get in on time.

Has anyone ever said anything different? Player or coach?

sean tayor is a redskin kellen winslow is a brown get over it

why was it that everyone from miami said that taylor is the better player plus we got the kind of tight end we nead in the draft a blocking te with good hands we dont nead a wide reciever or star at the that position please get over it

Originally posted by Brooklynskinsfan

sean tayor is a redskin kellen winslow is a brown get over it

why was it that everyone from miami said that taylor is the better player plus we got the kind of tight end we nead in the draft a blocking te with good hands we dont nead a wide reciever or star at the that position please get over it

Actually, Taylor is a Redskin and Winslow is a headcase....it doesn't really matter for whom as long as it isn't us.

Archived