Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Koz in, Byron out

Dan T.

To those who've chimed in with "I hope this is a good move", Its not like Chamberlain has shown ANYTHING in his brief time with the Skinnies.

From a Pastabelly article on him(Koz) last year:

"He hasn't caught more than 15 passes in a season, but can play tight end, H-back and fullback, and is also solid on the special teams units."

Versitle role player, probably signed for pretty close to the league minmum I'm guessing. I'm all for it. Plus in 11 years he's only missed 11 games, and that was all in one season. Sounds like a durable player too.

Originally posted by Golgo-13

My hunch is that's why they are bringing him in. That is what everybody says Gibbs likes in a TE.

Yep and with sellers as a FB this then opens the door for mr K2 :)

Bryon was the only TE we had that was a good reciever, now we have none :cheers:

Originally posted by BadKarma

Easy decision for Gibbs: replace a fat, lazy has been TE with a blue collar H-back / TE.... :cheers:

Any mention of $'s?

3005.jpg

Thats a sweet mullett if that's a pic of Koz. That alone makes him worth the price we paid.

By the way, do we save anything on the cap by dumping Chamberlain?

Yep and with sellers as a FB this then opens the door for mr K2

Go back and look over the TE recieving numbers while Joe gibbs was a head coach.

I believe the highest number of catches you will see by a TE is 41 by didier. Back when there was only two decent WR's on the team.

When Gibbs had quality WR's the TE receptions were much lower. Becasue they were used to max protect, letting the WR's produce.

Is winlow at #5 worth the cost? Is ANY te at #5 worth the cost unless he catches 70/80 balls and 1000 yds?

If Spurrier was still the coach, winslow makes perfect sense since he would be running pass patterns and not blocking. But it's not Spurrier anymore.

Originally posted by Dr. D

anyone else get the feeling we are going to punch a few people in the mouth this season?

nice change in my mind from Steve.

:applause:

Thats what I am hoping for, I am tired of teams punching us in the mouth. Time for us to start swinging.:cheers:

This is a great move.

Anyone that's watched a lot of Falcons games saw that Koz was a great all-around player for them. He was a good blocker and he actually made some plays in the passing game; he's certain to contribute a hell of lot more than Chamberlain did last year.

Originally posted by RF4L

Has anyone mentioned that, being affiliated with the Falcons for a number of years, Joe Gibbs probably knew this Kozlowski kid pretty well.:)

Good point RF4L.

BTW, my bad on shrinking Koz's weight. Art's right, he's listed at 250, not 230. And judging by the headshot photo above, about 60 of those pounds are in his neck!

Chamberlain had two chances with the Skins and blew it. He couldn't get in shape last year and sat on the bench, and then this year he again comes in fat and out of shape. At 33 it definitely showed a lack of dedication. He was not much of a blocker anyway to begin with, and at 33 he had probably lost some speed.

Gibbs is sending a message to the players that you better be in shape or its hit the highway. :laugh:

Dont forget that our TE coach Rennie Simmons who was Atlanta's TE coach the last several years, is very familiar with Brian Kozlowski. Although not a great pass receiving threat, Koz will make a play now and then, as evidenced by his 11.8 life time pass receiving avg. Also a versatile player and a good blocker.

Gibbs' teams rarely throw to the TE's anyway, who play up on the line of scrimmage.

The H-backs who shift around will be the primary pass receivers, such as Mike Sellers and the Rock, and even they won't get a lot of passes. Both have good hands, although the Rock is a little short at 5-8. :)

Originally posted by WallyG3

Sellers can be our pass catching TE.

This just gave me a thought -

What if the reason we stocked up on WRs, cut Chamberlazy and locked up DMAC is because McCants is going to play HB. We always said he'd make a pretty good TE...

D-Mac was a TE in college...not sure if that will be his role this year...but it is a possiblity.

All signs are pointing to:

With the 5th pick in 2004 NFL Draft the Washington Redskins select....Kellen Winslow, Jr....Tight End...University of Miami.

Mel Kiper: Wow! the Redskins really filled a need at TE with the addition of a future pro bowl player.

Archived