Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Overrated Head Coaches

Originally posted by DTYJR

then san fran brought in mariucci who barried the team, stripped it of all talent and transformed a once proud organization into a laughingstock, whipping boys of the NFC west, it amazes me how in the hell is mariucci still a head coach in the NFL, someone please explain, WTF was detroit thinking when they hired him? look at what mariucci did in san fran with talented players, and to come to detroit void of any consistant talent, there is a reason detroit is always picking near the top of the draft, changing coaches works if the team was underachieving with its talent, by if there is no talent, how do you blame the coach, san diego is in the same situation, schottenheimer is a good coach of a team team void of any consistant talent, those 2 teams need to get new front offices and shake things up a bit. the true meaning of the word idiot is someone who does the same thing over and over again expecting different results

Schottenheimer is a decent coach and Mariucci sucks?

San Fran had to be stripped of all its talent because of a thing called the salary cap, which the 49ers had no idea how to manage, and for him to take that team from salary cap hell to a playoff team is a great accomplishment. Had Mooch been in San Fran, I say they would have made the playoffs. Dennis Erickson is a joke of a pro coach.

Hell, Detroit is more talented coming into this year than they have been in years. The starting cornerbacks are now a pretty good pair in Dre Bly and Fernando Bryant, The added Brock Marion to the secondary, 2/3rds of a potential top LB corps in Earl Holmes and Boss Bailey. They resigned James Hall who emerged as one of the best run-stopping DEs in the league last year and have a young and talented pass-rusher in Kalimba Edwards, and they can bring in Robert Porcher as a situational man now. And albeit I hate the guy, Big Daddy had a very good year next to Shaun Rogers, who when healthy and motivated, can perform like one of the leagues best at DT.

Thats just the defense too... Charles Rogers got injured early last year, but showed flashes of why he was taken 2nd overall, they brought in Tai Streets and solid 3rd and 4th guys in Trevor Gaylor and Quintin McCord. The have a young and talented o-line with Backus, McDougale, Raiola, and the overpaid but very good player in Damien Woody. If they draft an OG to replace David Loverne(nightmares of Spurrier: Year One) then they are pretty well set there. Its all is contingent on getting a back in the draft, if they can do that they are my surprise pick as NFC North champions. You heard it here first.

:2cents:

Look, nobody here said Bill Belichek is overrated. Somebody said "Brian Belicek" but they obviously meant Brian Billick. Then I jokingly said "Brian Billickcheck" because people get their names confused. So enough of the "oh my god how could you say bill bill belichek he won 2 superbowls recently".. nobody thinks he is overrated.

Mike Shanahan is def. the most overrated coach in the NFL. He certainly has done nothing since the loss of Elway and TD, both of whom are deserving of the Hall of Fame.

Mike Holmgren's name has been mentioned many times this thread, but I think his coaching job in Seattle has been admirable if not great. Let's not forget, he has turned two scrapheap QBs into pro-bowlers in Favre and Hasselbeck. In Favre's case he coached him into the Hall of Fame (of course Brett played his way into the HoF, but had Holmgren not seen something he liked and given it a place to shine, chances are Brett would not be the icon of the NFL he is today).

Brian Billick is an arrogant prick, and I hate the Ravens as much as anyone on this board, but the man can get the attention of his team and consistantly gets the most out of his personel. No way should they have been in the playoffs last season. Anthony Wright? His defense is always key and Marvin Lewis had as much to do with that SB win as Billick did, but this season their defense was great with Mike Nolan. IMHO from his days in Washington, he is far from a top notch D coordinator. Fact is that Billick knows a good thing when he sees it and he lets Ray Lewis run that D without even a sense of the ego clash between the head coach and top player that so often exists. Good thing he's no longer the best coach on the beltway...

Mike Martz is overrated. His defense will fall flat this season without Lovie Smith. He is a terrific offensive coordinator but consistantly finds ways to blow games with his decisions.

Mooch is a great coach. He got San Fran into the playoffs and consistantly winning long before they were expected to contend after the salary cap roster purge. Detroit will be markedly improved this season, although I think for them to win the North is a bit of a stretch. Monkeyboy makes very good points about Detroit. San Fran's FO will be kicking themselves for letting their egos get in the way of a great coach and genuinly nice guy. When it became obvious that he would leave SF, I wanted Dan to go after him so badly it hurt. I root for the Lions because of Mooch.

If someone said Bill Belichick is overrated, they should be locked away from this board forever. Beside Joe, he is the best coach in the NFL hands down. Its a shame Romeo Crennel couldnt get more of a shot at a head coaching position because of the playoffs. The NFL needs to freeze all coaching movement until after the SB IMHO. Belli's revival as a head coach after Cleveland give the Norv Turner's of the world hope...

Andy Reid is a heck of a coach. There's no way Philly gets to the NFC Championship the last two years without him (the first year maybe, but especially this past season...).

Parcells is excellent, but overrated none the less. Some say he could be the best ever, but they are so wrong its insane. I would put Parcells in the top 10, MAYBE in the top 5 all time.

As a matter of fact:

Top 10 coaches of all time:

1. Joe Gibbs (I think we all knew that was coming)

2. Lombardi

3. Shula

4. Halas

5. Landry (pains me to say it, but Im trying to be unbiased here.)

6. Walsh

7. Madden

8. Parcells

9. Lambeau

10. Noll

Honorable mention: Bill Belichick (its only a matter of time and wins before he gets up there)

Top 10 Active coaches:

1. Joe Gibbs

2. Belichick

3. Parcells

4. Fischer

5. Reid

6. Mooch

7. Gruden

8. Billick

9. Dungy

10. Lewis

*these lists are subject to change after any given season...

Hail Skins.:high:

Originally posted by Jethrodsp

Brian Billick is an arrogant prick, and I hate the Ravens as much as anyone on this board, but the man can get the attention of his team and consistantly gets the most out of his personel. No way should they have been in the playoffs last season. Anthony Wright? His defense is always key and Marvin Lewis had as much to do with that SB win as Billick did, but this season their defense was great with Mike Nolan. IMHO from his days in Washington, he is far from a top notch D coordinator. Fact is that Billick knows a good thing when he sees it and he lets Ray Lewis run that D without even a sense of the ego clash between the head coach and top player that so often exists. Good thing he's no longer the best coach on the beltway...

:applause:

Glad someone is thinking with their head and not their heart here. Billick gets flak because before he came to Baltimore he was conisidered an offensive genius. Well, look...we know he's arrogant, but the fact that his offenses' have struggled have much more to do with the talent he's had on that side of the ball. With the execption of Heap and J. Lewis, two positions that heavily favor the run and short passing, Billick has had nobody to work with. How do you expect a guy to get a passing game with no QB and no WR? If only TO wasn't just a whiney prick they'd finally have had an offensive aerial weapon there.

But oh well, team chemistry is much better without him....and Billick will somehow make the Ravens competitive again, He always does.....don't see how that could ever be considered overated.

Originally posted by Jethrodsp

Top 10 coaches of all time:

1. Joe Gibbs (I think we all knew that was coming)

2. Lombardi

3. Shula

4. Halas

5. Landry (pains me to say it, but Im trying to be unbiased here.)

6. Walsh

7. Madden

8. Parcells

9. Lambeau

10. Noll

Honorable mention: Bill Belichick (its only a matter of time and wins before he gets up there)

Top 10 Active coaches:

1. Joe Gibbs

2. Belichick

3. Parcells

4. Fischer

5. Reid

6. Mooch

7. Gruden

8. Billick

9. Dungy

10. Lewis

*these lists are subject to change after any given season...

1. Gibbs

2. Lombardi

3. Halas

4. Shula

5. Walsh

6. Noll

7. Madden

8. George Allen

9. Don Coryell

10. parcells

active

1. gibbs

2. parcells

3. bellichick

4. fisher

5. vermiel

6. holmgren

7. reid

8. billick

9. dungy

10. lewis

I mulled over Allen a lot on my list of the ten best of all time. Turns out he would have been a sentimental choice. I tried to stick to guys who won a SB or NFL Championship.

It really hurts to put Landry on the board and not Allen, but like I said...I tried very hard to be unbiased in my rankings.

Also I made amends for forgetting Vermeil on another thread by putting him at #5 and bumping everyone else down one.

Hail Skins.

there are only a few coaches who have completely changed the game of footballand the four coaches who changed it the most were george halas for father the game, vince lombardi for emphasizing good coaching, don coryell for creating the wide open air attack offense, and bill walsh for creating the ewest coast offense

Originally posted by ramseyskins

Look, nobody here said Bill Belichek is overrated. Somebody said "Brian Belicek" but they obviously meant Brian Billick. Then I jokingly said "Brian Billickcheck" because people get their names confused. So enough of the "oh my god how could you say bill bill belichek he won 2 superbowls recently".. nobody thinks he is overrated.

Browns fans do. I was actually talking about bill bellicick

Surprisingly, I don't recall seeing Andy Reid's name mentioned on this thread. Doesn't a constant state of choking count for anything?

Also, we're talking about the NFL, where there's supposed to be some semblance of "parity" among players and coaches, and therefore I must say that the absolute most overrated coach in the entire league has to be Dennis Erickson.

Surprisingly, I don't recall seeing Andy Reid's name mentioned on this thread. Doesn't a constant state of choking count for anything?

posted on April-9th-2004 11:55 PM

Maybe I could get shot for this one.......

Andy Reid. Three times in the NFC Championship Game, two at home, and choke city.

Post by me on Friday night.

Originally posted by SkinFaninOKC

posted on April-9th-2004 11:55 PM

Maybe I could get shot for this one.......

Andy Reid. Three times in the NFC Championship Game, two at home, and choke city.

Post by me on Friday night.

Oh, well, thought I read them all, anyway, guess we'll be shot together.

:D

George Allen... and I love the skins so don't get me wrong...

These are pretty substantial reasons why:

1. Never won a superbowl

2. Never called his own plays

3. Had a losing record to the Cowgirls.

4. Never developed his own players.

5. Won the NFC East once.

Originally posted by DTYJR

there are only a few coaches who have completely changed the game of footballand the four coaches who changed it the most were george halas for father the game, vince lombardi for emphasizing good coaching, don coryell for creating the wide open air attack offense, and bill walsh for creating the ewest coast offense

If you are basing your list on who changed the game the most then Tom Landry should be up there in the top 3 all-time, he was one of the most innovative coaches. He created the "Umbrella Defense" which is now known as the "Dime", he also created the 4-3, and revised the shotgun offense amongst other things.

Even though I can't stand them cowpukes :puke:, gotta give credit where it's due.:cheers:

quote : todd heap from mcnabbownsfedex

yea i'm sure brain billick taught heap how to catch footballs!!!!

i can't stand the crows but the kids a natural , great intsincts for the game ,makes plays that other tight ends only dream about.

billick is very over rated , big time arrogant but over rated.

marvin lewis put this team on the map with his defence which is still being used by nolan , once ray -ray is gone so goes the crows. :2cents:

:ravensuck :dallasuck :eaglesuck :gaintsuck

Archived