Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Overrated Head Coaches

OK , since we had a thread about overrated Quaterbacks, now i wanna know who ya think is the most overrated head coach.

I pick, Mike holgrem. He hasnt done jack since he left green bay. he was suppose to be one of the best head coach in the league. he got paid and they even made him the GM. He supposely had a good team this past yr and he couldnt even take the seahawks to the playoffs. brett dont need holgrem. its the other way around.

Does anyone think Mike shanahan is overrated too?

Mike Martz and Mike Holmgren are the two that pop into my mind. They both seem to allow their ego's to get into the way of good coaching. They will see one of their "genius" plans through to the bitter end rather than admit they were wrong and try something else.

The only other that comes to mind is Schottenheimer. He seems to be on the cusp of being overrated though. He used to be a very successful coach until he joined the Redskins. Ever since then, he just hasn't seemed to be able to fit back into the NFL.

I think that he is someone else who needs to start checking his ego at the door if he's going to ever be successful again. But time will tell. He's just had a very sucky team of late.

Gruden is tops working hard does not make you smarter-- just tired.

then Schottenheimer-- held Montana under 3000 yds in KC

then Cowher who was trained by Schottenheimer-- how many offensive coordinators can one man get fired?

then Norv Turner-- Good OC for a coach-- but the only time he won was when he had 3 skill position HOFs in the backfield. I hated listening to him whine in his squeaky voice during a press conference after the game.

Brian Belicek, hard to knock a guy who has won a Super Bowl I know, but he is supposed to be an offensive guru and it's defense that is consistantly doing the business for the Ravens. Still, I suppose he does a good job of overall coaching (over seeing the team) but it does stink a bit that the Ravens have never really had a big passing game under him.

Martz is going to be a very popular name on this thread I feel. The play-off game against Carolina last year was full of terrible calls. He may have a good offensive scheme (nicked from Gibbs:) ) but his play calling and game management are very questionable.

Brian Billick. Despite the SB win (which I maintain was due to Marvin lewis' D), this guy has his c*** sucked by ESPN every year. He gets way more press than is due him and everyone is always talking about how great the Ravens are. I'm sick of it. It'll be great when the Skins drop the bomb on them this season.

Originally posted by bird_1972

Brian Billick. Despite the SB win (which I maintain was due to Marvin lewis' D), this guy has his c*** sucked by ESPN every year. He gets way more press than is due him and everyone is always talking about how great the Ravens are. I'm sick of it. It'll be great when the Skins drop the bomb on them this season.

Good call man. now that i think about it, it was maRVIN lewis that made that D and that D literally won all their games for them.

Brian Billick built a superbowl team from scratch..well...from such gems as Vinny Testaverde...True, he probably isn't the 'offensive genious' that people bill him to be. If he's overrated, then it's by a slim amount.

There are some coaches that always seem to find work: Dave Wannstat and Marty Shottenhiemer. why? why? why?

Bill Parcells.

Ok, even I don't believe that. :)

I have to go with Holmgren. So far it looks as if Brett Favre is the reason for his success.

I think Shanahan's a good coach, but as a front office guy he gets a LOT more leeway from the media than, say, Dan Snyder. Shanny spends just as much on personnel, if not more, than we do and fares little better, which is unbelievable considering he's a SB winning coach. Frankly I think he's a terrible GM, but noone ever seems to notice.

Billick (name one offensive player he's developed)

Turner (7 years with a deep-pocketed team got him nowhere)

Martz (when his offense doesn't have healthy HoF caliber players in their prime, he starts looking stupid)

Gruden (I respect his drive, but I'm not convinced he earned that SB.)

Dungy (really, what's the difference between him and Schottenheimer or Dennis Green right now?)

Shanahan (he gets some credit for Elway's final development, but what's he done since Elway retired?)

I'm not down on Holmgren like some are. Unlike Gruden in TB, he built that GB team and molded Favre from an undisciplined, cannon-armed gunslinger into a great QB. Notice that Favre has been very inconsistent since Holmgren left, while Holmgren has somehow turned Hasselbeck (the good one) into a pretty respectable QB. He's at his best when he doesn't concurrently have GM duties.

Cowher, likewise, has earned every success he's had. He has one hand tied behind his back on personnel matters by a front office unwilling to pay anything to retain stars, so they've bled talent every year he's been there but he's still kept them largely competitive.

Archived