Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Battle for the 3rd string QB job

Chrisbob74

We all know Ramsey and Brunel are going to battle for the starting QB position (though some people may say it's already decided who is going to start) but I got to thinking about the other QB battle in camp this year, that for the 3rd string job.

Of course, this is nowhere near as important as the job for the starting spot but it is something that will be of interest in camp and pre season and all to often in the past, teams have at some point being forced to turn to their 3rd string QB.

Look at last year:

The Redskins were down to their 3rd stringer (after Rob Johnson was cut) by three quarters of the way through the season.

Baltimore had to turn to Anthony Wright after injuries to Boller and Redman.

Houston were forced to turn to Dave Ragone.

Tennessee had to bring back Neil O'Donnell.

Denver got through 3 QB's, having to bring in Danny Kanell at one point.

Oakland had 5 (five!!) different QB's throw passes for them.

Atlanta, after losing Vick got to their 3rd string quicker than most.

Chicago got through 3 QB's.

So 8 teams, roughly a quarter of the NFL, at some point used their 3rd QB for more than a few snaps, so it shows it is worthy of consideration in team planning.

Anyway, back to the battle for the Redskins 3rd string spot and the two contenders for that job.

Firstly, we have a guy who started 5 games for us last year in Tim Hasslebeck and then we have the guy who is currently playing in NFLE and last years 7th round draft pick, Gilbran Hamden.

A couple of points/questions I'd like to put to you all:

Who has the best advantage due to their circumstances?

By this I mean Hasslebeck is back at Redskin park, gaining knowledge of the playbook and system and working with his team mates and developing a chemistry with them whereas Gilbran Hamden is gaining playing time and real game experience in NFLE. To be fair, Hamden isn't even the starter at the moment for Amsterdam but he will play, as NFLE tends to encourage rotation at ALL positions.

Also, where Hasslebeck is studying the playbook back home, I'm sure Hamden is being kept up to date and should have a copy of the playbook to study as well.

NFLE has a good track record with QB's (not just guys gaining a starting NFL job, but plenty of back-ups have done time in NFLE).

Hasslebecks weak arm, does it matter?

The one advatage Hamden does have on Hasslebeck physically is arm strength. Hasslebeck is never going to throw 70 yard javelins every play but does that matter? Joey T was never a rocket armed slinger. At the same time, Hasslebeck threw some terrible passes last year when trying to force it deep.

Hasslebecks experience last year, advantage or disadvantage?

Sounds a daft question at first, I know, but near all of us except that Spurriers offense did not work and was (as they say over here) "mickey mouse". Did what Hasslebeck learn last year count for nothing?

Surely any NFL experience is helpful but considering the way the whole team played at times (with the exception of one or two guys, ie Coles) will it have helped that much?

Would Gibbs prefer a "project"?

I have seen a lot of comments on Hasslebeck such as "He's a West Coast Offense QB", or "He's no more than a 3rd stringer" which may or may not be true. Hamden is more of an unknown. Say what you want about Spurrier, but he knows what to look for in a QB and he saw something in Hamden that got him to advise the team to draft him when he could easily have been picked up as an undrafted FA. Will Gibbs fancy taking a chance and seeing if he can develop this kid?

It's a hard call all round as no one knows what Gibbs is thinking on this and how much attention he is paying to each player. Is he watching anything of Hamden in Europe. Or is he relying on scouting reports? I would expect he will at least take the oppontunity to watch some tape of Hamden in Europe.

The one big advatage I do feel Hasslebeck has over Hamden is that if he were to be cut, he would get snapped up reasonably quickly if any team were to have a QB injury nightmare due to his recent starting experience whereas Hamden should be easy to place on the practice squad if he is cut, enabling us to keep all four QB's and continue evaluating all four.

Hamden does get a roster excemption though so he won't be cut until the very last set of cuts more than likely which could help him.

This maybe one of the quiet battles of training camp, but could be one of the most interesting as well.

Thoughts?

i have a feeling that some other guy, maybe undrafted guy comes in and gets the third string job. i just dont see hasselbeck sticking , though i kind of like him. and i think hamden is nothing more then the old ball coaches project. if though one of those guys do get the job then i think it will be hamden.

What battle. Gibbs has stated how impressed he was with TH. Hammy will be on the Practice Squad agaim this season. We will be in great Shape at QB. Three QB's who have started in the NFL, and the PS QB having game experience in NFLE (though Hammy isn't starrting as yet)

Originally posted by bubba9497

What battle. Gibbs has stated how impressed he was with TH. Hammy will be on the Practice Squad agaim this season. We will be in great Shape at QB. Three QB's who have started in the NFL, and the PS QB having game experience in NFLE (though Hammy isn't starrting as yet)

Are you telling me Gibbs will just hand Hass a roster spot?

Whilst I agree it is likely Hamden could end up on the practice squad again I think it is a bit far fetched to believe Gibbs will just hand Hass the 3rd string spot.

Everyone needs to be pushed, it should make them better.

I think hasselback will get the 3rd! I was reading "Sports Weekly NFL Draft Guide". They have last years picks and how they did this past year...

QUOTE: "A throwaway pick for Steve Spurrier. Hamdan, a Potomac , Md., native who played at Indiana, showed up at a workout for local kids and impressed Spurrier. Hamdan, who would not have been chosen by another team if the draft were 50 rounds long, did not play last year and is playing in NFL Europe this spring."

Originally posted by Chrisbob74

Whilst I agree it is likely Hamden could end up on the practice squad again I think it is a bit far fetched to believe Gibbs will just hand Hass the 3rd string spot.

Don't you think since Gibbs said he liked what he saw during mini camp that he'd seriously give Hasselbeck a look at 3rd string? Heck, I was worried that this guy would bolt for greener pastures after he showed he could win a game or two in this league last season. Don't get me wrong, I don't see him as more than a backup - but he could develop as a nice #2 if he has the preseason to get better acclimated with the team (rather than the trial-by-fire he got last year with us).

:paranoid:

Originally posted by Chrisbob74

While I agree it is likely Hamden could end up on the practice squad again I think it is a bit far fetched to believe Gibbs will just hand Hass the 3rd string spot.

It is his to lose... if that makes you feel better :)

Gibbs has said with Brunnell a seasoned Vetran, and two young good QB's already on the team in PR and TH (both with starting experience) that he feels the Skins are in very good shape at QB no matter who starts between PR or MB. That tends to make one believe that TH is in the plans next season, and since PR & MB are 1 and 1a... that only leaves TH at #3. Hammy may have potential but he is not even starting in NFLE so the chances of him beating out TH this year for #3 is very slim.

I would be very surprised if Washington brought in any more QB's to camp. It is one of the few position other than WR we are pretty well set. Besides TH is under contract, and is at minimum salary. How many third stringers can you get that cheap with half a season's starting experience.

Would you say we are set at WR top 5 spots? Will Coles, RG, DMAC, Thrash, TJ fight it out for a spot on the team?

Originally posted by bird_1972

Don't you think since Gibbs said he liked what he saw during mini camp that he'd seriously give Hasselbeck a look at 3rd string? Heck, I was worried that this guy would bolt for greener pastures after he showed he could win a game or two in this league last season.

Make that a game.

It is his to lose... if that makes you feel better :)

A little :)

Would you say we are set at WR top 5 spots? Will Coles, RG, DMAC, Thrash, TJ fight it out for a spot on the team?

It would appear we are set, but then why bring others to camp? Someone who comes to camp and does great in camp and pre season has to believe they have at least a chance of pulling an upset or having competition in camp is pointless.

Every year you look at the opening day roster and find a surprise or two, I don't see this year being any different though I'm not saying it will be at WR or QB.

It would appear we are set, but then why bring others to camp? Someone who comes to camp and does great in camp and pre season has to believe they have at least a chance of pulling an upset or having competition in camp is pointless.

many Camp fooder to beat up on to save wear and tear on your roster. :)

Some may make the practice squad to develope, some special teams

Of course some of the guys brought in are camp fodder but the coaches also bring in undrafted FA's that could surprise (but may turn into camp fooder I admit) and players who have been close to making it before (ie, Scott Cloman).

All I'm saying is there has to be an element of competition even if it would take a minor miracle to upset what looks like a solid position (in terms of starters and depth).

There are also the unknowns such as injuries to consider.

The only thing with Hasselbeck is that he's not going to want to sit there at #3 for a couple years until Brunell is released. He believes he can start, and definitely be a solid #2. A #3 QB is wasting his time.

I wouldn't be suprised if Gibbs' allows Hasselbeck a chance to make another ball club as a backup, essentially acknowledging that it's not right to stunt his growth and experience by burying him 3rd on the depth chart. I think Hasselbeck will be released, Gibbs will put out the good word on him, and he'll be picked up by someone else as the primary backup. Hamden will be the #3 and Gibbs/Burns project.

I like Tim, I think he played enough to have SOME value to another team who needs a backup.

Man.....if we could package him with Rod or Trotter and send him to a place like San Diego where they are about ready to give up on Brees....that would be sweet. Get a nice 2nd rounder and give Tim a shot.

Originally posted by jbooma

I think it is safe to say our 3rd string QB is not on our roster right now, unless Hamwich goes ballistic in Europe.

and this is based on what? :rolleyes:

Gibbs is on record praising TH, and how the QB situation is in good shape, and for the future referencing Both PR & TH. (TH as the back up)

I think it is safe to say..... it is almost a two to 1 chance TH will stay #3 this season.

:laugh:

well, Tim has 2 things in his favor. first, he has some recent starts under his belt (which is always a plus for a third string guy) and second, the skins will likely have a strong running game (and better protection). Hamden, if he shows anything, is right where he needs to be in NFL Europe. he didn't even play much in college but he seems to fit the mold of an old time Gibbs project at QB.

i am almost certain there will be another undrafted QB brought aboard (strong arm, "supe smart") cause Joe loves QB's. this time though, he won't be able to stash him on IR (ha,ha).

What about 'The Babe'? Could Gibbs coax him out of retirement? The consumate 3rd stringer during Gibbs first stint as head coach...out of IU. Wait...Hamden is out of IU, too. Holy Sh*t, Hamden is The Babe reincarnate. Long live The Babe!!!

Too early for booze...mind foggy...synapses mis-firing.

:40oz:

Oh yeah, I almost forgot :dallasuck

they suck suck suck suck suck

and this is based on what? :rolleyes:

Gibbs is on record praising TH, and how the QB situation is in good shape, and for the future referencing Both PR & TH. (TH as the back up)

I think it is safe to say..... it is almost a two to 1 chance TH will stay #3 this season.

:laugh:

Bubba, Gibbs was praising Johnson before he sent him out of town. TH does not have the arm for his system it is as plain as that. I like TH but he doesn't fit.

Originally posted by jbooma

Bubba, Gibbs was praising Johnson before he sent him out of town. TH does not have the arm for his system it is as plain as that. I like TH but he doesn't fit.

Johnson was traded due to salary cap, not exactly shipped out of town. Gibbs would have preferred to keep him.

TH is already under contract.

nice try :laugh:

Honestly, I think Hamden is just about exactly what Gibbs looks for in a QB. He's tall and has a good arm. While I think Hasselbeck will actually BE the third stringer this year, I think Hamden will suffer a hang nail and be on IR, being groomed for some sort of roll in a few years.

Archived