Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

whats the best rivalry in sports?

skinsfanforlife

I know redskins vs cowboys is a fierce rivalry but i am also a huge NBA fan and during the 80s i was glued to MY T.V set when ever lakers vs celtics was on. Not only do i think celtics vs lakers is the best rivalry of all time but what made it so awsome was u also got to see magic vs bird. I wanted celtics to win because i was a huge celtics fan.

what ya think?

Originally posted by Kilmer17

Yanks/Sox.

The Skins/Boys is the best outside of that by a mile. But it cant touch the histroy of Yanks/Sox.

One problem with the yanks and the red sox is that its really not much of a rivalry in my mind because yankees have dominated. its one sided but you are right about the history of it all. i guess.

I agree with Kilmer...Yanks/Sox is huge. Even though the Yankees win most of the time...It isn't by much. Last year alone. They played 26 times and the Yankees won two more games than Boston. Heck even the front offices battle evey year. Far and away the top two payrolls. Everyone likes to say the Yanks are buying championships, well Boston tires to buy them, but they can't seem to get it done.

I hate the Cowboys...but that hasn't been much of a rivalry lately. Hopefully with Saint Joe back we can change that.

I think college football has the best rivalries.

Auburn - Alabama

Texas - Texas A&M

Florida - Florida State

Oklahoma - Nebraska

Free agency has dulled the rivalries in pro sports. By the time a Redskin player can start hating the Cowboys, they'll be on another team. Do you really think Mark Brunell will ever hate the Cowboys?

All of you have forgotten the BIGGEST rivarly in all of sports:

Ohio State VS Michigan

where else can you have entire states hate one another and not let their children marry each other :cheers:

Yanks and Sox might be a little bigger but both are so close.

Lately the Best Rivalry is Sox/Yanks hands down.

In the 80's and early 90's it was probably a tie between the Redskins/Cowboys & the Lakers/Celtics however the Lak/Celts probably peaked in the late 80's and surpassed the Skins/Boys.

The Lakers/Celtics rivalry will never be the same unless Magic & Bird come out of retirement, therefore this rivlary is nearly extinct.

In the 90's the Yanks/Redsox rivalry was non-existent cuz the Sox were bad, but they are division opponents and are always gonna have that to fuel the fire.

Now that Gibbs is back, along w/ Parcells in Dallas the rivalry will be at its pinnacle for years to come.

Originally posted by RedskinsNation

Lately the Best Rivalry is Sox/Yanks hands down.

In the 80's and early 90's it was probably a tie between the Redskins/Cowboys & the Lakers/Celtics however the Lak/Celts probably peaked in the late 80's and surpassed the Skins/Boys.

The Lakers/Celtics rivalry will never be the same unless Magic & Bird come out of retirement, therefore this rivlary is nearly extinct.

In the 90's the Yanks/Redsox rivalry was non-existent cuz the Sox were bad, but they are division opponents and are always gonna have that to fuel the fire.

Now that Gibbs is back, along w/ Parcells in Dallas the rivalry will be at its pinnacle for years to come.

Well said. Totally agree with you especially about gibbs and parcell part.

Originally posted by BDBuddy23

The yanks and sox hate eacyother....but the Red Sox haven't won in 94 years. There has to be a give and take between the 2 teams.

I say Ohio State-Michigan.

Thank you someone who can see the big picture :cheers:

Originally posted by jbooma

All of you have forgotten the BIGGEST rivarly in all of sports:

Ohio State VS Michigan

where else can you have entire states hate one another and not let their children marry each other :cheers:

Yanks and Sox might be a little bigger but both are so close.

I'm glad at least one of you was sane enough to mention the Grand Daddy of Em All.

Ohio-State & Michigan....a solid match-up...I'd go with that one. The Yanks/Sox...just too much hype behind it a lot of times...don't get me wrong they are great games but after a while I get tierd of hearing about them all the time.

:pint:

Oklahoma-Texas.

I have to, once again, mention the origin of the name of the Texas mascot (Bevo).

In, I believe, 1912, someone (wonder who) stole the (then-unnamed) Texas mascot before the Texas-Oklahoma football game.

I understand a lot of fun was had with the event. The Texas leglislature introduced a bill to re-instate the death penalty for cattle rustling.

Oklahoma won the game that year, 13-0.

After the game, the steer was returned. But someone had branded him "13-0".

The Texas fans altered the brand to read "BEVO", and said that was his name.

So, to this day, the Texas Longhorn mascot is named in honor of a football game that Texas lost. Which, I guess, is to be expected from a state who's biggest contribution to history was the Alamo.

This isn't the best rivalry but I think it is a good one for college sports, especially in my neck-of-the-woods:

BYU vs. Utah.

These two schools absolutely hate each other and being with 40 miles of each other you run into people from the opposite school all of the time.

When I was younger I was a huge fan of BYU football (when Detmer won the Heisman) partly because that is where my dad graduated from but now I am split because I have crossed enemy lines and gone to the rival, Utah. Needless to say there are some interesting discussions going on when my dad and I talk about something other than the Redskins. : :) :

Anyone voting for the Skins/Boys is just being an old school homer. This rivalry began in the 70s peaking in 1982. It has since dwindled with it's demise finsihing off around 1992. The game where we beat Dallas with a fumble in the endzone. That is the last meaningful game with the Dallas Cowboys I can remember in relation to a true rivalry.

Since then no one has really been interested in this matchup past the core fan base from the 70s and 80s. Some younger fans of both teams I know of have stated to me that they consider the 49ers/Cowboys more of a rivalry than the Redskins/Cowboys. And if you have only been watching football the last decade or so, I would have to agree.

The teams themselves really more so have a respect for each other rather than a hatred for each other. The age of the salary cap has made the revolving door of players(and coaches for that matter) almost impossible to maintain a true rivalry.

You could put the Lakers/Celtics in this category also with Bird and Magic gone.

The best rivalry in sports I know of today is Ohio State and Michigan. This is a nationally renown rivalry that still is marketed within and outside of the arena of college football.

A close second would be the Yankees and Red Sox. These two teams offseasons seems to be the story more so than their meetings in September.

A distant third would be UNC and Duke. The amazing thing about these two teams is it doesn't matter if one or the other is having a bad year. The teams always play each other like it's their last game on earth. Something the Skins and Cowboys used to do, but fail to do so anymore.

Okay everybody is talking about current rivalries and mentioning Yanks-Sox and so on. Until last year, the Red Sox hadn't come close to the Yanks in a season series. That is more history than anything. It's hatred because of the past, and the fans are the driving force behind it.

I guess everybody forgot about Lakers-Kings right now? That is hands down the best current rivalry in sports today. Has been for at least a few years. Everytime they play Sportscenter has a 3 minute video montage of all the comments and big moments of their games. Hell even Magic himself said it is coming close to Lakers-Celtics, although it won't reach that level mostly because they aren't playing for NBA Championships, rather Pacific Division titles instead.

Ohio State-Michigan is huge, always has been. Amry-Navy, regardless of how bad they both suck almost every year now, is still a classic game to watch at the end of the season, and always gets the media attention. OU-Texas is huge, just like OSU-Michigan, it always has been. Surprised I only saw one person mention it so far.

Skins-Boys hasn't really been much of a rivalry lately. The one game we have won out of the last 13 was the sloppiest game I have seen in years. Who the hell knows how we won when we turned the ball over 5 times. Well I guess the same way the Boys won the first time we played last year. Hopefully Gibbs vs Parcells will get it going in the right direction, because we all know Skins-Giants was HUGE when they were both coaching their respective teams.

Truth is though, there are SO MANY huge rivalries, especially in college, that it is too hard to name the greatest. Everybody has their own opinion, and it will never be a fact. Some people see things a different way and that is okay, so if some people still view the Skins-Boys as the biggest, although I disagree, hey they are entitled to that. When it comes to fans vs fans though, I would have to say that Yanks/Sox, Skins/Boys, OSU/Michigan, and Lakers/Kings are the top 4. IMHO that is.

I still think the Redskins/Cowboys rivalry is the best rivalry. I know that the rivalry, has been one sided, over the past 5 years or so. Three years ago, when we both had losing records, and we still had the highest ratings for MNF that year.

Archived