Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Have No Time To Lose

TwoDeep3

Rick Gosselin: Redskins have no time to lose

Washington has loaded up for title run, but the window is small

10:41 PM CST on Saturday, March 13, 2004

Suddenly, there is hope in Washington.

The momentum began building in January when club owner Dan Snyder persuaded Hall of Famer Joe Gibbs to abandon the pits for the sideline and return to coach the Redskins.

Handshake trade agreements with Jacksonville for quarterback Mark Brunell in February and Denver for halfback Clinton Portis in March locked two Pro Bowl presences into Washington's starting backfield.

Then Snyder bowled over the NFL with lavish free-agent spending this month that landed four veteran starters on defense: end Phillip Daniels, tackle Cornelius Griffin, linebacker Marcus Washington and cornerback Shawn Springs.

Counting contract renegotiations with Brunell and Portis, Snyder spent $50 million in signing bonuses alone to add these six players to a team that has not been to the playoffs in four seasons.

Gibbs won three Super Bowls in his first tenure as head coach of the Redskins (1981-92). He signed a five-year contract to restore the glory of this franchise.

But Gibbs won't have five years to win. He'll have two.

For all those who wanted to know how Snyder could spend millions upon millions of dollars to build his team while other NFL teams seemingly stood around this month and watched, here's how:

Snyder carved out a two-year window, structuring the million-dollar deals to be oh-so-club-friendly for two seasons. Then those salary-cap bills come due.

The cap figures of those six players in 2004 is only $13.17 million. Very workable in a world where teams are allowed to spend $80.582 million. Brunell has a base salary of $760,000 this season, Portis $360,000. That's dirt-cheap for their abilities.

The cap figures of those six players increase to $13.18 million in 2005. Again, highly competitive in the chase for a championship.

But all that changes in 2006, when the money takes a huge jump. The salary-cap figures of those six players vaults to $25.9 million that season. Add in three other contracts negotiated in 2003 – linebacker LaVar Arrington, wide receiver Laveranues Coles and guard Randy Thomas – and nine players will account for $46.8 million of the Washington payroll in 2006.

Why? Snyder has written into those contracts some hefty roster bonuses for the 2006 season. Arrington is due $6.5 million, Springs $3.1 million, Portis $3 million, Griffin and Washington $2.5 million apiece, Coles $2 million and Daniels $500,000.

Arrington has a $3.02 million salary-cap figure in 2004 and $3.023 million in 2005. But his cap figure escalates to $9.528 million in 2006. Coles is on the books for $6.857 million in 2006, Portis for $5.475 million, Brunell $5.4 million and Washington $5.167 million.

Now, if Snyder has a Lombardi Trophy or two on display at Redskins Park by that time, the checks he wrote in the winter of 2004 will prove to be money well spent. If not, Gibbs likely will be back in the pits and Snyder will be looking for a new batch of players, albeit cheaper ones.

Dead money in San Francisco

Speaking of the salary cap, how about the quagmire the San Francisco 49ers have found themselves in this season? More than 30 percent of their $80.5 million salary cap will be dead money for the 49ers – the accelerations of signing bonuses for players no longer around.

Seven players not on the 2004 roster will count $25 million against the San Francisco cap: quarterback Jeff Garcia ($10.339 million), wide receiver Terrell Owens ($4.812 million), defensive tackle Junior Bryant ($2.305 million), wide receiver J.J. Stokes ($2.272 million), offensive tackle Derrick Deese ($2.136 million), halfback Garrison Hearst ($2 million) and guard Ron Stone ($1.157 million). How do you explain that to your season-ticket holders?

Take heed of the 9ers. This is your future.

*** ADMIN INSERT:I warned you multiple times and was very explicit about what your next post would be about.

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=606865#post606865

Read this post, and use the CONTACT US link to email me your reply to that thread. Until I receive your reply containing the quotes that I have requested (or an overt apology for stating falsehoods) your posting privleges are suspended.

~~~Blade***

the 49ers made the mistake of believing the 12-4 season they had early in the '00s was the beginning of a serious run for a championship. that club got on a roll, got the bounce but the 49ers never again approximated that record.

they have slide a bit each year since then.

the other factor is blown draft picks for guys like Mike Rumph.

remember when Derek Smith and Stubby went to SF and they talked about being ecstatic about having the chance to win a championship?

game over suckers :laugh:

Originally posted by TwoDeep3

*** ADMIN INSERT:I warned you multiple times and was very explicit about what your next post would be about.

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=606865#post606865Read this post, and use the CONTACT US link to email me your reply to that thread. Until I receive your reply containing the quotes that I have requested (or an overt apology for stating falsehoods) your posting privleges are suspended.~~~Blade***

Let this be an example here....If you troll, your gone!

:insane: :censored: :bsflag: :troll: :spammers: :banhim: :spam: :stfu:

Originally posted by tkatz

What did that guy do wrong? I dont understand, wasnt that a legitimate article?

Click on the link in the quote, and read that post and his other posts in that thread. It should make sense once you do so.

tkatz

It's his posting history. And if you're going to be called on trolling and personal attacks AND attacks on this board AND challenge the owner to ban you, guess what?

You're going to get banned if you don't do as requested(backing up claims.)

The article is legit, but the person posting is not and is posting it for a very specific and non-legit reason.

Umm ok, you better hope the salary cap either becomes extinct or goes up $50 million dollars because judgement day is in 06'.

You weren't in cap hell because you let go of your best player both on offense and defense, that's ok we'll take L.Cole$ back in 06' when you can no longer afford him.

Well NYC if my understanding is correct 06 is currently an "uncapped" year as it stands right now. The CBA will have to be agreed upon again & renewed and who know what's going to happen then. I've heard that one change being contemplated is extending the time a SB can be allocated against a contract. Currently a SB cannot be allocated more than six years of a contract. If they extend that out over the entire lenght of a contract then we might not be in such bad shape. Only time will tell. Additionally, I wouldn't get your hopes up to much concerning LC by that time he might have 2-3 "rings" and do you really think he'd want to take a step down and play for the Jets?

If that in fact occurs then Snyder might be a genuis instead of a complete irresponsible fool.You are not going to be winning any rings with that D-line you have. It's nice to throw all your money at the sexy positions but when you neglect aspects of your football team like your d-line and depth across positions you aren't going anywhere.

Originally posted by NYC

Umm ok, you better hope the salary cap either becomes extinct or goes up $50 million dollars because judgement day is in 06'.

You weren't in cap hell because you let go of your best player both on offense and defense, that's ok we'll take L.Cole$ back in 06' when you can no longer afford him.

:laugh:

You had Coles and didn't do squat. What would it matter if you got him back?

Originally posted by NYC

Gotta wonder... did the Jets lose all those players last offseason because of cap hell? Or idiocy on the part of management.

Of course, we saw first hand last year what happens to teams with a strong d-line (ie. Abraham, Ellis, Robertson). How did the Jets do again?

On that note... you're stay here has come to its conclusion. You were nothing but an instigator and bitter human being. And I'd rather not pay for your bandwidth.

I post over at TwoDeep3's board (Silver Star Digest) quite a lot, their off topic forum is funny and I slap the bandwagoners on their smack board, it's fun. He is a mod there but is hated by half that board which is in constant meltdown over Quincy "The Lisp" Carter!

These "cap hell" arguments are so tired. They are also highly subjective. Guys willing to restructure their contracts nullifies the whole thing.

Let's say we do hit the ceiling or even go through the roof with our cap space and are forced to make wholesale changes. The fact is we still have a coach in charge that twice in his first tenure as head coach of the Redskins, took players off the street and not only made them competetive against teams that still had regulars on the field, but also won with them.

Color me a nice shade of less-than-worried.

Originally posted by NYC

If that in fact occurs then Snyder might be a genuis instead of a complete irresponsible fool.You are not going to be winning any rings with that D-line you have. It's nice to throw all your money at the sexy positions but when you neglect aspects of your football team like your d-line and depth across positions you aren't going anywhere.

What about teams that completely ignore the QB position.....and spend no money for fear of the cap? When the coaching is even, talent will win out.

Tkatz,

It's already been said I think, but there was nothing wrong with this article being posted here. The issue with In Too Deep is he's gotten himself into some trouble as per his usual when coming here. I'm a lot smarter than In Too Deep. I often play with him and get him into a festering rage. What happens then is he starts making stuff up. I actually enjoy In Too Deep because I love how easy a debate he is.

But, Blade tired of his constant lies and asked him to support a single thing he says. Just ONE. And he couldn't. So Blade has given him the opportunity to support a single thing he says and he'll be allowed back. The problem is, he can't, so his only option is to apologize, which he can't do, because an apology is an admission of what we all know. That I'm better than him. He knows it. All of us do. But, he won't admit it knowing his last wall of defense is pretending I stay stuff I don't.

In Too Deep was given repeated warnings to simply scan history and post a single quote. He couldn't do it. Sad but true.

The question I have is was there any validity to that article. I believe it is 2007 where the uncapped year is and we know that will not happen anyway the NFL will make sure of that.

If he is correct in a bunch of our roster bonuses are do that year, then yes we will have to make decisions that might hurt us.

JB,

The problem with the article posted here is simple. It's so simple it explains why Cowboy fans missed it. They are even more simple.

The writer outlines that the Redskins have cap increases for many players in 2006. We do. That's the point. We do that on purpose. So in 2006 we have a built in mechanism to lower those values with more cash. As long as Snyder spends cash, we'll never have a cap hell period that's a concern. If this team is a losing group, then the 2006 timing allows us to take dead hits and start new in 2007.

Cowboy fans just don't appreciate how much money we have and how well we can manipulate things given the way Snyder does business.

Archived