Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Springs or Smoot...Who is the #1 Corner Now!!

RonJeremy

I think at this point Smoot has to be given the first chance at that role. He's been here and done and said the right things with Champ around. Smoot deserves the opportunity to rise or fall in the expanded role and I think he'll get it.

Man, that's tough. Smoot probably thinks that he is going to be the #1, adn I guess deserves teh chance just based on teh fact that he is the incumbent and played well enough last year to warrant it...however, he was covering #2 receivers all year.

You don't pay Springs that kind of $$, though, and not have him be the #1 guy, where he has been for his career when he has been on the field. It'll be interesting.

Look. The whole money = starting job thing has been covered by Gibbs. Everyone must earn their position on the field. That's what Gibbs said and I think it's foolish to question his word.

In the end I think Smoot is ready to step up and he has a very good shot at the #1 slot.

when they were looking for an addititional cb they said smoot was not good enough to be a number one guy and they were looking for a number one cb. so springs will be the #1 cb next year I just worry about his health. he does have good skills though.:eaglesuck :eaglesuck :dallasuck :gaintsuck :eaglesuck

I'm not sure this is relevant. Gregg Williams could simply for Marvin Lewis-style and keep each of them on one side of the field, unless one of them shows themselves to be markedly inferior throughout the course of the season.

However, I have it on good authority that Fred Smoot is hitting the weights once again, and has gone from 174lbs to 174.5lbs, so he's going to be a beast in run support. :silly:

However, I have it on good authority that Fred Smoot is hitting the weights once again, and has gone from 174lbs to 174.5lbs, so he's going to be a beast in run support.

The same source tells me Smoot is up to 3 reps of 225. I say put springs on the more physical wr and smoot on the other.

I think Zen is right. Just play Springs on one side and Smoot on the other unless you are playing against someone where, say, Springs's size gives him and advantage. I don't think there needs to be a clear cut #1 and #2 guy.

Labels are hard to define these days. And of course, everyone's spot on the team will be evaluated. But make no mistake, Springs was brought into the Redskins to be the "#1 corner". He has been a #1 corner in the league for years. Smoot hasn't yet.

Smoot has played in the style of a #2 corner also. He prefers playing with a cushion and reacting. He certainly has #1 corner potential, and could be on many teams. But right now, Springs is the 'Skins "#1 corner."

I posted this thread about 4:30 today...on the drive home from work at around 5:00 on WTEM 980, Bram Weinstein asked "Doc" Walker the same question...who was #1 now..."Doc" said Smoot is the incumbent and it should be him...but it will still be a competition...like WHFS...980 must be reading our message boards!!!!

Originally posted by RonJeremy

I posted this thread about 4:30 today...on the drive home from work at around 5:00 on WTEM 980, Bram Weinstein asked "Doc" Walker the same question...who was #1 now..."Doc" said Smoot is the incumbent and it should be him...but it will still be a competition...like WHFS...980 must be reading our message boards!!!!

Smoot has never been the incumbent #1 corner on the Reskins. No idea what Doc is talking about.

Look, everyone thinks its taboo to say "this guy has a big contract so he has the inside on the #1." Sorry, thats the way it is.

You don't give a guy a $10 mil SB and a big contract to come in as the #2. Lets be real here. And its not a bad thing. We needed to target a legit #1 corner.

Everyone loves Smoot. He's a fan favorite. I think he's great. Its great to go to the games and watch him work the stands. But I'm just not sure if he's ready to take on a team's #1 receiver.

Sorry, Springs is our #1 corner. Don't kid yourselves.

first Springs has to make it through a season without getting hurt, Smoot should come up big! Even though Springs is from around here...I bet the Smooooooooooooots prove to be louder @ FEDEX....he's my favorite Redskins right now!!!

Archived