Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best d-line we can get. Forget the rookies and blue-collars!!!

Renegade7

high dollar. Y? Because besides Kearse there are no premire pass rushers. We absoluty HAVE to get a dominate d-line. Not average or just hard-working, but playmakers that u can't afford to ignore.

Kearse- He's a monster, and besides his his freak injury in 2002 ahs only missed two games in his career getting no less then 9.5 sacks in each season.

Wistrom- had 7.5 sacks and 60 tackles last season.

Ted Washington- 6'5, 365, and an unbelievable run-stopper throughout his career. he's a 13 year veteran so he's NOT, i repeate, NOT, goin to ask for some huge contract. U'd have to be a fool, or very misinformed to believe that he'll want more then 2.5 mill per season for however long he plans to stay here, which would be between 2-3 years. That's more then enough time to draft a replacement, given that he'll be a sure-in starter this coming year.

A lot of people are talkin Robaire Smith( 35 tackels and 4.5 sacks last season) but if i had a choice between him and soon to be cut Daryl Gardener, u know who i'd choose. Daryl Gardener is a year removed from being the team MVP back in 2002. He was an absloute monster, and if u saw him play while he was here u'd have to agree. Disipline really isn't a big deal with this guy. U didn't hear anythin bad about him while he was here, and tho being a lil dinged up, he's not injury prone.

2002-redskins- 15 games with 52 tackels, 4 sacks, and 3 passes defensed.

2001- Dolphins- 8 games with 28 tackels and 4 sacks

2000-dolphins-10 games with 49 tackels and 2.5 sacks.

1999-96 - all with dolphins, played all 16 games in each of those seasons, 164 tackels with 8.5 sacks total in those seasons as well.

8 year vet, so this will likely be his last contract before retiring. Given that, e won't be asking for a huge amount of money because he already has it.

He's 6'6 people. Did i mention he was a monster?

Agree with me or not, 3 our of the 4 players i just mention would require a double team. they would provide pressure on the QB regurally, singel-handedly oblitorate the run, and free up Lavar and the bunch to have free reign to do what they want back there. :D SWEETNESS!

It's a shame i have to do this. We were complaining all year about how our pass rush sucked, and now that we have a chance to get the best money could be a bunch of ya'll want to go for cheap and up-n-comin players. This is rediculous. If our d-line isn't great, our defense isn't great. If our defense isn't great, forget the offense we won't sniff Janurary.

HTTR, baby.

----------------------

0-16, 19-0, skins fan till i die!!!

Renegade,

You are DEAD ON!!! I couldn't agree with you more. If we could get all of those guys, plus Sean Taylor with our #5 pick, it's all over. I really hope Synder dishes out the dough starting March 3 and gets those players because if he does, we'd be set.

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!!

Originally posted by GSF

Hey guys...they have this thing now called the salary cap.

GSF, That was just what I was thinking. I don't think too many folks on this board wouldn't want that D-Line described above, but is it even feasible cap-wise?

Admitedly, I'm no capologist, but it looks like a bridge too far from where I'm sitting. I would LOVE to be wrong though! :cool:

No No and No to Gardener. Ive said this before and Ill say it again...the guy has always been a head-case. The ONLY reason he was motivated and to do well in 2002 was because he was playing for a big contract the next season, and he got it from Denver where he proceeded to break his hand in a fight outside IHOP, sit out too many games and then get sat down when he could play for bashing his team to anyone who would listen. He is a beast, and Joe and co. could probably keep him in line, but I dont feel that his track record qualifies him as a character guy that Joe G would want on his team.

He did have a great season for us in 02 though.

Hail Skins.

Kearse, Winstrom, Eaton, as said before, get some of them. If Gardener is cut, get him back, and keep Russel. Having those 2 at DT may be pretty deadly. They have discipline problems, but Gibbs and Williams can fix that right up. Plus, seeing how motivated this coaching staff is will motivate players as well.

Aight, salary cap problems. $14 mill minimun right?

Kearse wants a $20 million dollar signing bonus. Split that over two years and that's $10 million in SB. That's not a big problem. Winstrom essentailly is a blue-colar player, because he's not great but he's hardworking. Of the DEs avaliabe in FA , the only one better then Kearse is Wistrom. Wistrom won't be asking for a lot of money, maybe $3 tops.

The reason we should go after Washington is because of his impact on the feild, and the fact that should we get at least 2-3 years out of him we could get a true younger impact player next year via draft or FA. He's a $13 vet, so given this will be his last contract, he'll probably get the veterans minimum. That's no big deal at all.

Gardener has been consistently a force. He got into a war of words with Shannahan and lost. That doesn't mean all the sudden he has an attitude problem, and even if it does that wouldn't mean a thing if he played for Gibbs, seeing that he's dealt with attitude before. Ends justifiy the means, u can't deny the fact that u had to double team him when he played. He wants motivation? What about the team in the NFC with the best chance of goin to the big dance? Cause at this rate, that's what we are.

The reason y i didn't mention D Russell is cause the skins already said there was no possiblity that he'd come back. He crossed the line by being late for practice for whatever reason, so he blew it. I really want him back, and if we could sign him i would, but Vinney has spoken, and i haven't heard anythin about resigning him or infact anythin about D Russell since the end of the '03 season.

We could get Robaire Smith, but if i had a choice between him and Washington or Gardener based on impact on the game, u'd know who i'd pick. Age has nothing to do with it, and like i said, we don't have time to be developing these young bloods cause we're goin to the dance ASAP.

Draft Sean Tayor, bring in Marcus Washington (LB) from the colts and that's u're d for 2004. Top 10 at the least, probably even Top 5 given that Greg Williams is runnning the d show.

beautiful, isn't it?

-------------------------------

And say NO to rod coleman. I read his ESPN insider report and talked to a Raiders fan i know and they both said the same thing: he plays like a chicken with his head cut off. Running foward and then away from the plays, constatnly getting lost and lossing sight of the ball. U can forget that, sounds he needs more adderal then i do.

And laurent, y do u want a line like that? Didn't u even read the thread?

----------------------------

Yes I did, did you? It was already pointed out that overpaying for the DL is not a smart thing to do in the age of the salary cap. Yes we have an abundance of space this year but doesn't mean we have to blow our wad on a bunch of straight up fantasy aquisitions.

Originally posted by laurent

Yes I did, did you? It was already pointed out that overpaying for the DL is not a smart thing to do in the age of the salary cap. Yes we have an abundance of space this year but doesn't mean we have to blow our wad on a bunch of straight up fantasy aquisitions.

Fantasy? are u serious? Our d-line sucked all year and now that we have the room and chance to get the best money can buy u want to go conservative? WTF? Who's gonna be scared Udeze, Holsey, Smith, Wistrom? Holsey isn't an impact play like Washington and if we get Udeze we DON'T get sean taylor. This is rediculous people, we have the money, and were not blowing it all on d-line. $14 mill and we've only cut 4 people and u say we won't have enough cap? unbelieveable.

-------------------------------

Our dline has sucked for more than just last year and that's primarily because not enough emphasis was put on drafting players at that position. Just what good has FA done us for our dline for the past 10 years? Do you happen to remember the offseason where all our line woes were to be fixed for the forseable future with the aquisition of Wilkinson and Stubblelfied?

If you do, which would be surprizing given your age, then you should have learned that there are no quick fixes, espescially not on the defensive line.

We tried going the top tier elite free agent route once. That's the year we inked Dana and Dan to blockbuster deals. That didn't work so well. This might. It might not. I believe in a bit of each. Get someone productive, but also guys on the rise. Blue collar and hungry guys can be very productive. Remember the garbage man Marcus Koch. Remember the Plan B guys we used to plug in the middle. Besides, we need some home grown talent. Paying top dollar doesn't always work. For some it lessens the hunger.

I understant u what u're sayin about Wilkinson And Stubifeild, but did either of them get the high regard that Ted Wahington has? Besides Kearse and Winstrom, can u name one impact player avablible in FA?

Ebenezer Ekuban - Dallas

James Hall - Detroit

Eric Hicks - Kansas City

Adewale Ogunleye - Miami (RFA)

Anthony Pleasant - New England

Bobby Hamilton - New England

Rodney Bailey - Pittsburgh (RFA)

Chidi Ahanotu - San Francisco

Grant Wistrom - St. Louis

Jevon Kearse - Tennessee

No, that's the problem. So if we pass on Keasre and Winstrom, not only will our line not get better, but it might be worse. And trust me, Wilkinson And stubifeild aren't Washington And Gardener. Buy getting these two, we can plug 'em in as starters this year and probably get a younger player next year via FA or draft. We have to let the past go, we got a former d-coordinator as our d-line coach for cryin out loud!

If we get Kearse and Wistrom, y use our first rounder on a DE. He won't even start, let alone make as much of an impact. If we lose champ we have to put someone in the secondary to replace his presence. Bowen sucks, Taylor is a head-hunter with great coverage skills. Forget our past problems, this is now.

Leave my age out of this by the way. i dosen't mean a thing seeing that i'm a lot smarter then people give me credit for.

--------------------------------

Darrell Russel is like 6'6" as well and 335...

i would love to keep him at least for this next year to see what the coaching staff could do with him....

Can you imagine?

DT's=Darryl Russell and Darryl Gardner(both 6'6" and 335+)

DE's=Jevon Kearse and Grant Wistrom

And if not Gardener...maybe Ted Washington

Originally posted by Renegade7

I understant u what u're sayin about Wilkinson And Stubifeild, but did either of them get the high regard that Ted Wahington has?

Stubby was commin off a 15 sack season (which is almost unheard of at DT) that earned him defensive player of the year. The other Dan was a former #1 overall pick. They were far more coveted in that paticular offseason than 35 year old Washington.

Dropping big names onto a roster may be the formula to success in fantasy football, but not the NFL

Originally posted by Streater101

Stubby was commin off a 15 sack season (which is almost unheard of at DT) that earned him defensive player of the year. The other Dan was a former #1 overall pick. They were far more coveted in that paticular offseason than 35 year old Washington.

Dropping big names onto a roster may be the formula to success in fantasy football, but not the NFL

Okay, now that stubby thing sounds really werid? what he do, just not want to play? it's ted washington's name that appeals to me, its his presence on the feild. When i saw the super bowl and watched him play, i said to myself that if we had him and gardener then NO ONE would run up the middle on us. I don't get how that's playin a fantasy leauge. He's on the decline of his career, but is still a hard-working impact player. This isn't stubby were talkin about getting, there two completely different players. Y some think he'll just take the season off is beyond me. he won't get 15 sacks, but that's not what we're gonna be askin of him.

-----------------------------

umm the kind of money Kearse is looking for is like wut 6-7 mil per year... and Winstorm(sp?) is prolly gonna cost 4 mil per i think... then Ted Washington there is no way we can get him for vet minimum. even though he might be signing his last nfl contract, Pats want to bring him back and also there are other teams interested in him. there will be a bidding war for him maybe not a big one but there will be so i am thinking he will cost prolly 1.5-2 mil per year... there was an article saying Smith wanted around 3-4 mil per year contract... that totals up to around 16 mil per year... and even if we get the dude from Denver instead of Smith, he wont be playing for chump change but say he signs for a cheap 1 mil per year. that is still 13 mil per year....

i am sure we can fit them under the cap if we play with the number and backload all the big contracts but then we will be in cap hell in few years...

oh yeah by the way we do need to spend the cap to sign Taylor if we pick him and sign vet CB, TE, redo Portis' contract, LB and depth on OL and DL...

Originally posted by Burgold

I believe in a bit of each. Get someone productive, but also guys on the rise. Blue collar and hungry guys can be very productive.

I like this approach. I would like a good mix of young drafted players that could play alongside and learn from veterans like a Ted Washington or Grant Wistrom....I liked Kearse alot a few years ago but am just cautious due to his injury problems the last couple of seasons. I remember the days of Mann, Manley, Butz and Grant. If Gibbs could handle Manley then I think he can handle Darryl Gardner and Russell....we'll see what happens.

Archived