Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Merged: Shawn Alexander or C. Portis

bishtw

There are two Threads with articles mulling over the idea of even trades Bailey for Alexander and Bailey for Portis.

Given the choice who would you pick?

Me , I'd rather take Alexander because of his moral character would be a better fit for Coach's system IMO. What do you think?

i would gladly take either.... but if i had to choose the one i wanted more id probably pick Portis.... but that might be because of a somewhat bias since like how the article said Alexander doesnt get the attention he deserves because he plays on the seahawks... i like how Portis is a somewhat badass though and plays with a chip on his shoulder so i still think id pick portis when all is said and done

This is just a copy of the post I made on the other Thread

I would Rather have Alexander

Alexander is 5'11'' 225 and has a ton of speed. He is exactly the bruiser type back we need.

Portis is 6'0'' 205 and will demand alot more money than Alexander and would be coming out of a system that I feel made him look alot better than he was. I think overall he is still a great player but that is to much of a gamble to take in my opinion.

Gibbs loves those bruiser Type back as well and Alex is exactly his type of back

alexander is bigger, and more durable. he also catches the ball better out of the backfield. portis has alot more speed. i'm going with alexander,because i think portis' skills and success are kind of questionable because he's with the broncos. all of shanahan's runningbacks look like studs in that offensive system.

Dave, I would almost rather have a defensive player as well because it's a bigger need but either one of these guys could help keep the defense off the field and definitely help our time of possession.

I think it would be more likely that Shanahan would part with Portis than Holmgren parting with Alexander.

We had the offense to conrol the ball and match teams point for point until the 4th quarter didnt we?

We have no pass rush and run stuffer and we definately dont have an answer for the 3rd receiver.

So ignoring defensive woes for another year will be helped because of some other teams running back?

Trickle down only works for economics not on thedefense of the skins

PORTIS!!!! Check this: 3,099 yrds rushing in two years! 1,591 in 13 games last year. Only missed 3 games in his career! This kid is a total beast and isn't even in his prime yet! If you could show me where Shuan Alexander did that then i might go crazy and change my mind. But he didn't barely anyone in NFL history has done this!! So i guess that makes me sane, AND at snyder's feet to make this trade go through. PLEASE DANNY, PLEASE BRING ME PORTIS!!!!!

-----------------------------------------

0-16, 19-0, skins fan till i die!!!

i can't believe the donkeys would give up portis for bailey, but here's one reporter who planted the seed in denver...

http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36~112~1971394,00.html

Let's make a deal: Broncos' Portis for Redskins' Bailey

By Adam Schefter

Denver Post Sports Columnist

INDIANAPOLIS - Pardon the interruption, Broncos and Redskins officials. But quit looking at those college prospects and start figuring out how to complete what would be the biggest trade since the New York Yankees acquired A-Rod.

Denver running back Clinton Portis for Washington cornerback Champ Bailey.

Even up.

One Pro Bowl stud for another.

The Broncos would get the shutdown cornerback they need, the Redskins would get the dynamic running back they need and the University of Colorado would get what it needs: a story big enough to bump it off the front pages, at least for a little while.

This is a trade that, initially, is startling and nearly beyond comprehension. But not after analyzing it the way the Broncos and Redskins should.

The Broncos have a looming contract mess with Portis, a situation that is only going to get uglier as it gets warmer. The Redskins have an undying determination to deal Bailey, whom they tried, but failed, to re-sign to a nine-year, $55 million deal that included $14.75 million worth of bonuses.

The Broncos are being forced to contemplate unwelcome scenarios for one of the best running backs in football, just as the Redskins are being forced to do the same for the best cornerback in football.

Might as well turn two negatives into one big positive. For both teams.

From afar, the Broncos are eyeing Bailey, as is every team in the league. The issue: how to get him.

The Redskins are demanding a first- and second-round pick, as well as a player. But the Broncos already have the one player who, today, would wipe out all demands of any draft picks and trump any other offers Washington has received. Denver has the ammunition to get a deal done.

The mere mention of Portis' name would practically be enough to make Redskins owner Daniel Snyder jump-start his private jet, fly to Florida and immediately hand over the type of glittering contract Portis' representatives are demanding.

This is what Snyder does. During the first three days of the free-agent signing period last year, he signed or traded for nine veterans. None was as big or as productive or as enticing as Portis, who would be Washington's new commander in chief.

All it would take from Snyder is a cornerback he does not want to pay and a less-pricey new deal for Portis - something close to the $6.8 million franchise tag the Redskins already have slapped on Bailey.

But Denver is not concerned about what Snyder would be getting. It is more concerned, and rightfully so, about what it would be losing.

Which, in this case, would be plenty.

Portis is Denver's one true superstar, one of only three running backs in NFL history to gain more than 1,500 yards in each of his first two seasons. The issue is the holdout he is considering later this season. It is, to say the least, disconcerting to Denver.

And it is one of the major reasons Denver should debate making its biggest offseason splash with a trade that few people - other than the Broncos and Redskins - could imagine.

Denver would rather clear salary- cap space for a player whose contract is up, not one who has two years remaining on his, as Portis does. It would prefer a player who spends his off-seasons training in Denver, not Miami. It would choose a player who is a Champ, not one who wears a heavyweight belt to proclaim himself one.

To those who wonder who would carry the rock for Denver, don't. On a recent Los Angeles-bound flight from the Pro Bowl in Hawaii, former Oklahoma and current Dallas Cowboys safety Roy Williams said his former college teammate and Broncos running back Quentin Griffin is the closest thing he has seen to Barry Sanders.

Plus, the Broncos' coaches and front- office staff have more faith than people realize in last year's seventh-round pick, Ahmaad Galloway, the former Alabama running back who would have been a first-day pick last year had it not been for a bad knee that is now healthy.

The Broncos also have the versatile Mike Anderson, a former 1,500-yard rusher capable of being shifted to running back as quickly as a Portis cut.

And Denver has the April draft, where it has found once-unsuspecting 1,000-yard rushers in Terrell Davis, Olandis Gary, Anderson and Portis. Does anyone doubt this team can do it again?

It won't get a running back as good as Portis this April, that is true. But it would be getting the top corner in the league, the player Dale Carter, Deltha O'Neal and Willie Middlebrooks were not.

For all his greatness, the Broncos could wind up viewing Portis as a bargaining chip rather than a blue chip. In the coming days, do not be surprised if the Broncos look to cash it in - on a trade that makes so much sense, it smacks you in the head the way Redskins linebacker LaVar Arrington would.

In this deal, both teams would make out, like high school prom dates. And it would not be the first time the Broncos and Redskins have flirted with each other regarding one of the biggest blockbusters in NFL history.

Back when Joe Gibbs coached the Redskins in the early 1990s, he came closer than people know to trading for then-Broncos quarterback John Elway. Now Gibbs and the Broncos should be - and, I would even venture to say, will be - talking trade again.

Pro Bowl running back for Pro Bowl cornerback.

Star for star.

Portis for Bailey.

This could get very interesting, very soon.

Originally posted by ccableguy

alexander why?

he has better size,character, and injury history

Injury history my AS$!!! he only missed 3 games in his career, which is only two years. He missed all 3 of those games in 2003, where he still gained 1,591 rushing and 5.5 yrd/rush. What's wrong with his character? Chip on his shoulder isn't a problem, that's a push to be greater. That builds character and work ethic, which is exactly the type of player gibbs is looking for. And forget his size. 3,099 yrds in his first two seasons is nothing to sneeze at. Alexander couldn't even do that, and infact i challenge u two find more then 5 people who did. This kid is a rare find, and if we can get him we better take him.

-----------------------------------------

Thank you NavyDave! Good left/right combo on this Champ for a RB thing.

We need more value for Champ as the #1 rated CB, than a 1 for 1 player trade.

I think we'll see alot of trade offers like this from teams that don't have the high draft picks to get in the running for Champ. But its trade rumors like this that will make the Detard Lions stop draging their feet,and start hacking up some picks.

Rumor has Alexander traded to Redskins for Bailey

MIKE SANDO; The News Tribune

INDIANAPOLIS - Player-for-player trades are rare in the NFL, but this one makes too much sense to ignore. Both teams would benefit in big ways.

The Seattle Seahawks would receive a Pro Bowl cover cornerback to pair with youngster Marcus Trufant. The Washington Redskins would get the running back Joe Gibbs needs to make his offense take off, plus ample salary-cap relief to sign more players.

Champ Bailey for Shaun Alexander, straight up.

The notion sprang to life Saturday while Gibbs, in his second tenure as Redskins coach, brushed off questions about pursuing Cincinnati running back Corey Dillon.

"As to who we'd be interested in, right now that's something we want to keep to ourselves," Gibbs said during a break at the college scouting combine.

Bailey, 24, is on the trading block because Gibbs' team has salary-cap problems, too few draft choices and a glaring need at running back. He stands to collect $6.8 million as Washington's franchise player, a figure that would vanish from the payroll if Bailey were traded.

Alexander is entering the final year of his contract with Seattle. The odds of him returning in 2005 seem slim, so why not get the NFL's best cover corner in return?

The salary cap often makes such deals prohibitive, but trading Alexander would come at little cost to Seattle because so little of his contract remains on the books.

The team is already some $15 million beneath the revised cap of $80.5 million. That's more than enough wiggle room to sign Bailey to a long-term deal even if left tackle Walter Jones played for the franchise-player value of nearly $7.1 million.

Why trade a 26-year-old runner as talented as Alexander and with no history of injuries?

Let us count the reasons.

Alexander covets a stage bigger than Seattle currently offers. Never mind that Cortez Kennedy earned NFL Defensive Player of the Year honors on the 1992 Seattle team that finished 2-14. Alexander seems resigned to second-class status in Seattle.

What better place to shine than the nation's capital? Unable to crack 1,500 yards in any of his first four seasons, Alexander could conceivably eclipse 1,800 with Gibbs calling the plays.

"He doesn't get the credit he deserves because he's playing in the late game or at time when other games are going on with other featured backs," an NFC personnel director said late last season.

Alexander would understandably prefer an offense centered on his considerable running skills, not the pass-oriented attack coach Mike Holmgren has installed to great effect. Besides, scouts privately note that Alexander's obvious disdain for pass blocking could prove costly for quarterback Matt Hasselbeck.

Put Alexander in a run-oriented offense, hand him the ball 25 times a game and suddenly his blocking wouldn't matter so much. He might also become more amenable to polishing his game.

Meanwhile, the Redskins would be getting the most prolific prime-time runner in the game. Alexander's Sunday night résumé features a 266-yard game and a five-touchdown first half. In 2003, he topped 110 yards rushing four times in the final seven games as Seattle nailed down its second playoff berth in 15 years.

Only Kansas City's Priest Holmes (61) has more touchdowns than Alexander (50) since 2001.

"Everybody says, even myself, that I need 25 carries to be at my best," Alexander once said.

"Without tooting my horn or being arrogant about it, I've been blessed to make plays with less than 25 carries. But I still believe if I have 25 carries, it's going to be crazy."

Might Washington be willing to find out? On the surface, Alexander appears to be precisely the kind of marquee player Redskins owner Daniel Snyder can't resist.

Would the Seahawks explore such a trade? A chance to land Bailey would surely pique their interest, particularly because Alexander is probably gone in 2005 anyway.

The team would have to find another running back, a much simpler task than finding a shutdown corner.

Talks don't materialize - Seahawks senior vice president Mike Reinfeldt did not attend the combine after pondering a trip earlier in the week.

Face-to-face meetings with the agents for Jones and receiver Darrell Jackson seemed destined to go nowhere, anyway.

In fact, given the rocky history of the Jones negotiations, the sides probably came out ahead by not meeting.

Front-office rumblings - As Seattle's contract negotiator since 1999, Reinfeldt has been at the center of the team's journey to salary-cap flexibility. His future in Seattle could become an issue, however, after Rein-feldt's contract expired this month.

Reinfeldt has worked without a contract in the past, but Seattle's front office was considerably less crowded in those days.

The addition of general manager Bob Ferguson, coupled with more active stewardship from president Bob Whitsitt, has some in the league wondering where Reinfeldt fits in over the long haul.

Whitsitt downplayed the issue at the Super Bowl, but time will tell.

Local watch - Michigan defensive end Larry Stevens is skipping combine workouts while he rehabs an injured left shoulder.

Stevens, a product of Wilson High School, planned to participate in an on-campus workout scheduled for March 13.

Tacoma-based scout Rob Rang, owner of www.westcoastdraft.com and formerly an assistant at Stadium High, projects Stevens as a later-round pick.

"A lot of it depends on his speed," Rang said. "I will say we couldn't stop him at Stadium."

Catching up with 'Tez - Kennedy, who retired from the Seahawks after the 2000 season, is helping out the New Orleans Saints at the combine.

The eight-time Pro Bowl defensive tackle is eligible for the Hall of Fame in 2006. Kennedy remains friendly with several former Seattle employees who landed with the Saints a few years ago.

Strongman competition - Isaac Sopoaga, a defensive lineman from Hawaii, opened eyes by cranking out 42 repetitions of 225 pounds in the bench press. That was the most at the combine since UTEP's Leif Larsen did 44 in 2000.

He was only joking - As the Indianapolis Colts struggle to re-sign quarterback Peyton Manning, GM Floyd Reese of the rival Tennessee Titans joked about encouraging Manning's agent, Tom Condon, to keep upping his demands.

http://www.tribnet.com/sports/football/seahawks/story/4771451p-4715678c.html

From Bubba's article:

"The team is already some $15 million beneath the revised cap of $80.5 million. That's more than enough wiggle room to sign Bailey to a long-term deal even if left tackle Walter Jones played for the franchise-player value of nearly $7.1 million."

This is stupid. If Seattle can afford champ, y can't they afford Alexander? And yipp-ki-yea to him never missing a game. He only started one game in his rookie, 15 last year, and having a 4.4 average last year, that's still nothing compared to Portis's 5.5 average in both his first two years. Alexander had a pretty good year in '03 with 1435 yrds on the ground, but Portis totally eclipsed that with 1,591 yrds in only 13 games in the same year.

Portis is a far better running back then Alexander, and the idea of getting Shaun out of seattle just because he isn't getting enough recognition from his peers is rediculous. Seattle doesn't have anyone to take his place should he leave, plus they already have trufant and Springs. Denver have NO cbs, Mike Anderson could step into Portis's shoes should he leave, and they can't afford to keep Portis.

It's more logical to trade for Portis then it would be for Alexander.

-----------------------------

I am intrigued with the Alexander rumor! He is a Gibbs type back. This is probably more value than draft choices, unless Gibbs thinks Betts can carry the load. However, he said Betts was a third down back, meaning "I don't think so". Portis, Alexander or drafting KJ or Greg Jones???

Archived