Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Back up QB, is Frerotte an option?

Chrisbob74

I liked Gus in his first spell here, sure, he did some dumb things, butting a wall is never clever but he was a gamer, a guy who would give his all and as a back up QB I would be happy to see him back here. He would help Patrick and know his place plus when he has served as a back-up in the past and being asked to come in, he has done pretty well for the Vikes, Broncos and Lions (Bengals we poor all round when he was there).

I think he is a FA, anyone confirm?

Thoughts?

I'd take him. His only weak spot is getting spooked by constant pass rush, which I don't think will be the same problem now that it was in 98. He outplayed Culpepper this year, if you ask me.

Smart and strong arm. He reminds me of Schroeder, an average QB who could look great in this system. I'd definitely take him over any of the other scrubs being thrown around, cuz we ain't coughing up the big bucks for Brunell!

Minnesota covets Taylor of Miami...it is said that he should be available at #5 when the skins pick...that being said the Skins would be well served to ask for Gus in a swap of picks...with Minnesota's...in the 18-19 range...Gus still is under contract this season for whatever portion of the 2 yr. deal he signed last season.

Actually, Gus coming off the bench has been money. Its only under the pressure of being the 'starter' that he's seemed to frequently wilt or self-destruct.

Wouldn't be thrilled with him, personally I think Gibbs could do wonders with Tim H. and may decide to keep him around once he gets a better look at him.

Hasselback is Spurrier leftovers...he had a decent run...but

lacks the arm that Gabriel was blessed with...a Veteran back-up

last season and Joe might not have been able to be in the position to return...If Daniel would have had to fire Spurrier...Joe

would not have been available. I think Cordell with some Gibbs

experience under his belt would be worth something...in year or two ...and in demand around the league.

I kinda liked Gus when he was here last. But I say keep Hasselbeck, he's cheaper. Matt wasn't looked at as a very good QB in the past and this year he probably should have gone to the pro-bowl. Tim won't ever be as good as his brother, but it's in the blood and I say we don't need to worry much about a back-up. I predict Pat won't miss a snap all season!!!

Why not?

This guy showed he could step in last year, and we have a team rather similar to Minnesota's with a explosive receiver and fast backs. It would be more than interesting to see him back in a Skins uniform.

And for those who want Hasselbeck as our second string... Did you guys watch the last 5-6 games? He proved he couldn't shoulder an offense whatsoever and cannot finish. There's no way he should be quarterbacking the team at any point next year.

I'd take Gus. He's fine as long as the game isn't a big important all or nothing type game. He gets that "deer in the headlights" look in big games, but if he has to come off the bench, he does fine. If he has to start for a short period, he's fine.

Everyone saw his eye popping performance for the Vikings vs SF this year, and before you jump on "it's randy Moss" remember he's also led the Lions into the playoffs (Where we crushed him ... big game..) ANd he also co-holds the Broncos single game TD pass record in a game he started in relief.

If he's called to action he's fine.

Gus also has a really good attitude and is a team player. We've seen him handle himself thru ups and downs with class.

Remember Jeff Rutledge. Under everyone else he was a mediocre QB at best, and under Gibbs he was a mediocre QB ... but when called on, he won football games.

Any real difference?

~Bang

Originally posted by TODD

And for those who want Hasselbeck as our second string... Did you guys watch the last 5-6 games? He proved he couldn't shoulder an offense whatsoever and cannot finish. There's no way he should be quarterbacking the team at any point next year.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

wait you're serious.

TH stepped in a complicated offense, at MIDSEASON, and put up some very good numbers (sans Dallas).

1012 177 95 5 7 63.6%

obviously you didn't watch all his games, he played more than well enough to win in all but the Dallas game. He didn't play defense. :rolleyes:

Opp RESULT GS Att Comp Pct Yds TD Int Rate

11/23 @Miami L 23-24 No 30 15 50.0 150 1 1 61.8

11/30 New Orleans L 20-24 Yes 42 22 52.4 231 0 1 58.7

12/07 @New York W 20-7 Yes 19 13 68.4 154 2 0 128.0

12/14 Dallas L 0-27 Yes 26 6 23.1 56 0 4 0.00

12/21 @Chicago L 24-27 Yes 25 16 64.0 209 2 0 116.9

12/27 Philadelphia L 7-31 Yes 32 21 65.6 192 0 1 68.8

I doubt you will see Hasselbeck back as the #2. He may stay on the roster to compete through the spring and early summer, but I don't expect to see him on the opening day roster.

The Redskins will be looking for a backup to Ramsey that has a better arm and more NFL experience.

Hasselbeck seems best suited to a WCO and after his decent performances here in 2003 should get a shot elsewhere as a backup such as Green Bay.

If we put our faith in Joe Gibbs coaching a decent, able QB, why not go after someone else who shows promise? We already know Ferotte can be a decent back-up, just not start - but what if he needs to start a game or two? - That's enough to scare me.

We should look at guys like Todd Bauman, preferbly, or maybe even Doug Johnson.

are you serious? :)

we are in trouble if we sign Frerotte and he has to start a few games in 2004 but we will be fine letting Doug Johnson start? :laugh: :laugh:

how many Falcons games did you watch last year?

Johnson was so ineffective he was benched for #3 Kurt Kittner who had never even taken an NFL snap!

Frerotte is not my idea of nirvana but he is a Super Bowl MVP candidate when compared to Johnson.

Originally posted by bulldog

I doubt you will see Hasselbeck back as the #2. He may stay on the roster to compete through the spring and early summer, but I don't expect to see him on the opening day roster.

The Redskins will be looking for a backup to Ramsey that has a better arm and more NFL experience.

Hasselbeck seems best suited to a WCO and after his decent performances here in 2003 should get a shot elsewhere as a backup such as Green Bay.

we'll see. Too many people have a misconception about whats a Gibbs type player, and or his QBs. As I posted before Gibbs backups rarely where seasoned veterans only two were former starters out of three veteran qbs total out of 12 years. Many of his backups were far from the strong arm bombers.

Hasselback fits Gibbs mode of character, intellegence, a player with passion for winning and giving 100%. He is all ready under contract at minimum. Bringing in a another QB everyone expects would take some cap space that maybe too much of a luxury compared to what we already have at QB. Hasslelback will be on the roster if not #2 at least #3.

list of Gibbs QB's

you will see that Many were right out of College, with little playing experience (except Williams, Hart, and Rutledge) and though his starters after Theisman had cannons, most of the backups did not (except Williams, Schroerder, and Rypien before they became starters)

1981 Roster

# Name Position Weight Height Age College

12 Flick, Tom QB 190 6'2 23 Washington

7 Theismann, Joe QB 192 6'0 32 Notre Dame

1982-83 Roster

8 Holly, Bob QB 197 6'2 22 Princeton

7 Theismann, Joe QB 192 6'0 33 Notre Dame

1984 Roster

17 Hart, Jim QB 215 6'1 40 Southern Illinois

7 Theismann, Joe QB 192 6'0 35 Notre Dame

1985 Roster

10 Schroeder, Jay QB 215 6'4 24 UCLA

7 Theismann, Joe QB 192 6'0 36 Notre Dame

1986 Roster

10 Schroeder, Jay QB 215 6'4 25 UCLA

17 Williams, Doug QB 220 6'4 31 Grambling State

1987 Roster

15 Robinson, Tony QB 200 6'3 23 Tennessee*

16 Rubbert, Ed QB 225 6'5 23 Louisville*

10 Schroeder, Jay QB 215 6'4 26 UCLA

17 Williams, Doug QB 220 6'4 32 Grambling State

1988 Roster

15 Archer, David QB 207 6'2 26 Iowa State

11 Rypien, Mark QB 231 6'4 26 Washington State

17 Williams, Doug QB 220 6'4 33 Grambling State

1989 Roster

16 Humphries, Stan QB 223 6'2 24 Northeast Louisiana

11 Rypien, Mark QB 231 6'4 27 Washington State

17 Williams, Doug QB 220 6'4 34 Grambling State

1990-91 Roster

16 Humphries, Stan QB 223 6'2 25 Northeast Louisiana

10 Rutledge, Jeff QB 195 6'1 33 Alabama

11 Rypien, Mark QB 231 6'4 28 Washington State

1992 Roster

12 Conklin, Cary QB 220 6'4 24 Washington

10 Rutledge, Jeff QB 195 6'1 35 Alabama

11 Rypien, Mark QB 231 6'4 30 Washington State

* Strike Players

yeah, BUT of those many quarterbacks you listed only two, Jay Schoeder and Mark Rypien ascended to prominence with the Redskins from a backup role as a draft choice or younger undrafted free agent.

and both of those players DID have strong arms and a 6'3, 6'4 frame to boot.

well, I guess you can throw in Stan Humphries too although he only became a starter after being traded to SD, but we did develop him for 3 years here.

Flick, Holly, Hakel, etc.........on down the line...........these guys were mostly holders for extra points :)

Archived