Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Back up QB, is Frerotte an option?

Chrisbob74

Originally posted by bulldog

yeah, BUT of those many quarterbacks you listed only two, Jay Schoeder and Mark Rypien ascended to prominence with the Redskins from a backup role as a draft choice or younger undrafted free agent.

and both of those players DID have strong arms and a 6'3, 6'4 frame to boot.

well, I guess you can throw in Stan Humphries too although he only became a starter after being traded to SD, but we did develop him for 3 years here.

Flick, Holly, Hakel, etc.........on down the line...........these guys were mostly holders for extra points :)

:wtf:

:laugh:

Ramsey is the starter, the backup in Gibbs system is usually nothing more than a holder. Gibbs will want a capable QB as a back up, but not someone to groom as the starter next year (because we have Ramsey??!!) ;)

you can come back with a better argument than this...... :)

no, I am not implying that Gibbs is looking for a long term replacement for Ramsey, what I am trying to say is that my feeling is Gibbs will look for a quarterback with better size and arm strength as the developmental quarterback who is likely to fill the #3 role.

the #2 will be a veteran qb who has significant NFL experience.

Remember that the couple of times when Gibbs saw experienced quarterbacks out there available in the days before free agency that had confidence could run his system, both with Jim Hart (with Coryell in STL) and Doug Williams (TB), he made sure the club signed these players.

In that way I don't think it was Gibbs' intention to necessarily have a team where the backup was unproven.

You just didn't see capable quarterbacks free on the market before the advent of free agency.

Hart was available because he was 39 years old. Williams had bounced to the USFL and was not wanted back in Tampa because of the acrimony over his departure.

Gibbs himself said in his press conference that he felt more than ever there is a priority to be placed on protecting the quarterback and having more than one quarterback who has experience at the NFL level.

That to me does not augur well for Hasselbeck.

We shall see.

Originally posted by bulldog

are you serious? :)

we are in trouble if we sign Frerotte and he has to start a few games in 2004 but we will be fine letting Doug Johnson start? :laugh: :laugh:

how many Falcons games did you watch last year?

Johnson was so ineffective he was benched for #3 Kurt Kittner who had never even taken an NFL snap!

Frerotte is not my idea of nirvana but he is a Super Bowl MVP candidate when compared to Johnson.

That's kind of my point. Everyone keeps talking about Ferotte would be better if coached by Gibbs, well maybe Doug Johnson would be too - and probably more coachable because he's much younger.

Seriously, I'd rather not have either of them. I'd be comfortable with Todd Bauman or Hasselback or both.

I think what ahs been said about Hasselbeck isn't far off base. He has a weak arm, had one of the worst games EVER for a Skins QB but has shown great things against Miami, Chicago and the Giants. He doesn't seem to be starter material, but to be safe, he doesn't appear to be a reliable back-up quite yet. With a new system, he may even have a tougher time showing he can be a back-up even though eh has been through this stage before.

I would love to have Gus back here. That is a guy that has PROVEN to be a reliable back-up. Has the talent and abilities to be the guy we are looking for to back up Ramsey.

I say this all assuming that Ramsey is #1 obviously. Who knows, we could be thrown a curveball and see our guy on the bench next year. Not saying I'd be happy about it, but Gibbs knows better than the rest of us. That much I know is fact.

Back-Qb's wind up starting it's a fact of life in the hard hitting NFL. Gibbs knows this so he wants a proven steady hand for this eventuality. He also will most likely seek a QB who will understand his role. He will be clipboard and placekicking holder until the need arises. I don't think he will choose someone who comes in making waves about having a fair shot at starting.

Originally posted by bubba9497

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

wait you're serious.

TH stepped in a complicated offense, at MIDSEASON, and put up some very good numbers (sans Dallas).

1012 177 95 5 7 63.6%

obviously you didn't watch all his games, he played more than well enough to win in all but the Dallas game. He didn't play defense. :rolleyes:

Opp RESULT GS Att Comp Pct Yds TD Int Rate

11/23 @Miami L 23-24 No 30 15 50.0 150 1 1 61.8

11/30 New Orleans L 20-24 Yes 42 22 52.4 231 0 1 58.7

12/07 @New York W 20-7 Yes 19 13 68.4 154 2 0 128.0

12/14 Dallas L 0-27 Yes 26 6 23.1 56 0 4 0.00

12/21 @Chicago L 24-27 Yes 25 16 64.0 209 2 0 116.9

12/27 Philadelphia L 7-31 Yes 32 21 65.6 192 0 1 68.8

Bubba, there were so many problems with what Hasselbeck was doing I don't know where to start. I'm not saying this guy cannot get better, but it is OBVIOUS that if he has to step in for an extended period of time, things aren't going to go well. He could not close out the Miami game, it was obvious that he didn't have what it takes to hold on to that lead. Dallas game, maybe the worst QB performance ever. The Giants game and the Chicago game were there only games where he proved decent. In the NY game, we were playing the Giants, running on empty with no heart and no secondary. They were easily the worst team in football at the end of the season. And, Chicago he showed some ability, but looking at his first half shows he is a streaky player.

Now, I wouldn't mind seeing him at the 3rd string QB position. He has potential, he's got work ethic to get the most of it, but he is clearly not ready to play QB for an extended period.

Archived