Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2024 Roster Thread: all cuts, signings, and trades to be discussed here!

CapsSkins

Yeah 3+ year rebuilds aren't a thing anymore. You gotta start showing some signs of being competitive by year 2. You get one year to clean up your roster and install your system but you can't go back to back years losing 10+ games in today's NFL.

Edited by Warhead36
  • Thumb up 1

That's because each Football generation is 4 (to maybe 5) years. 22 starters plus lots of heavy rotation players means it's too hard to keep the band together during free agency. The draft is so important in football because of that. The draft can have gems that are crucial to how your team plays in multiple rounds after the 1st one. The key Legion of Boom guys only had 1 player drafted in the 1st round.

Whereas in Basketball, the top of the draft matters the most and the value found in the draft quickly falls off. The generation window in basketball is what, 9 years? 4 for rookie contract then the hometown team can offer the juiciest 5 year deal. In Baseball, the learning curve is so steep that it's extremely hard to predict who succeeds and who doesn't, there's also an International signing pool that sort of acts like a second Draft. I have no clue about Hockey.

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah 3+ year rebuilds aren't a thing anymore. You gotta start showing some signs of being competitive by year 2. You get one year to clean up your roster and install your system but you can't go back to back years losing 10+ games in today's NFL.

Especially on a rookie QB contract. You have to take your shot during that 5 years. We will know pretty quickly what we have with Daniels once he starts facing real defenses. Cant wait for those practices against the Jets. 

7 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

The dude values his picks and knows how to maximize the asset/value game which we should all be thankful for after years of regimes that just gave stuff away.

AP values “value” not “picks”. If he sees value in trading 2 picks for a guy that will help this roster achieve its ultimate goal, I’m sure he’s going to do it. It’s how smart GM’s and organizations operate. They are not tied down by “potential” assets. They take value where they can get it.

Also we need to stop correlating situations like this to past regimes. I understand hangovers exist but this is different. Let’s let Ron, Bruce, Scot, Vinny and Danny Boy go!

That was then. And we are NOW!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

If you turn half of your roster, it's a rebuild by definition. Coach speak doesn't change that. Do you think we'll have the same team as last year, or has it been.....rebuilt?

Even still… Why can’t giving up a couple of picks for a player you really love who is just entering his Prime, be part of a rebuilding process?

Edited by NYSkins21

2 hours ago, NYSkins21 said:

AP values “value” not “picks”. If he sees value in trading 2 picks for a guy that will help this roster achieve its ultimate goal, I’m sure he’s going to do it. It’s how smart GM’s and organizations operate. They are not tied down by “potential” assets. They take value where they can get it.

Also we need to stop correlating situations like this to past regimes. I understand hangovers exist but this is different. Let’s let Ron, Bruce, Scot, Vinny and Danny Boy go!

The past trades the 49ers did were knowing what was lacking to make their offense start firing on all cylinders and then trading for. But first they had to know they couldn't do what was drawn up. I don't think AP knows that with confidence yet. He suspects, probably strongly, but there's a difference between thinking they can't and knowing they can't.

I don't think an Aiyuk trade happens right now. Maybe 6 games into the season it does (assuming Aiyuk doesn't sign an extension). The 49ers traded for Christian McCaffrey 6 games into the season. If we're winning and Jayden Daniels looks good, but the coaches believe the offense is still missing something then I could see AP making a move. He'll have a firmer idea of what the roster can and can't do.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, NYSkins21 said:

I'll give you that. But right now I think, for our team in its current state, there is more value in those 2nd and 3rd round picks and the potential they present than spending a ton of money on an Aiyuk.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I'll give you that. But right now I think, for our team in its current state, there is more value in those 2nd and 3rd round picks and the potential they present than spending a ton of money on an Aiyuk.

The money is no big deal. We have a ton of cash and now some of the best money people in football in the FO. 

Those pics are priceless though.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

The money is no big deal. We have a ton of cash and now some of the best money people in football in the FO. 

Sure. But its always good to maintain cap flexibility. If Jamin Davis, Ben St Juste, Jahan Dotson etc all break out under the new regime you're gonna want money to pay some if not all. Can't forget Cosmi either. And of course, if JD5 is dat dude then in three years he's gonna break the bank. Its always good to plan for the future and maintain cap flexibility.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Sure. But its always good to maintain cap flexibility. If Jamin Davis, Ben St Juste, Jahan Dotson etc all break out under the new regime you're gonna want money to pay some if not all. Can't forget Cosmi either. And of course, if JD5 is dat dude then in three years he's gonna break the bank. Its always good to plan for the future and maintain cap flexibility.

In 10 to 15 years we're gonna need another QB who will eventually need to get paid, too.

I get that we have a team, all of which have a salary.

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Operating under the premise Daniels gets signed to a big second contract, there’s two time periods to consider IMO - the window before Daniels’ big pay day, and the time period after.  I think the picks will become more important as time goes on as we have to use them to replace signing and re-signing expensive players.  So, in a way, I feel like our picks this next year are our least important.  I’m hesitant about the idea of spending big and giving up picks for Aiyuk, but due to my point above, plus factoring in that his contract would be up before paying Daniels big… well, it’s not necessarily a “no” for me.

Another hang up for me is OT.  Not in terms of saving money to pay for one, but until make substantial strides on the OL, I feel like adding quality pass catchers only gets you so far.

37 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Sure. But it’s always good to maintain cap flexibility. If Jamin Davis, Ben St Juste, Jahan Dotson etc all break out under the new regime you're gonna want money to pay some if not all. Can't forget Cosmi either. And of course, if JD5 is dat dude then in three years he's gonna break the bank. It’s always good to plan for the future and maintain cap flexibility.

I wouldn’t worry about Jahan as we control him for 3 more years, and Davis probably won’t be a factor, but who knows.  St Juste and Forrest though, along with Cosmi (our single must re-sign at the moment), could add up.  I could also see Chinn earning a fairly hefty contract, and we’ll have to figure out DE, along w/ other miscellaneous signings.  Maybe we land a pricey OT.  Really though, I believe we’re projected at 87mil in space for next year, so not sure money is too much of a concern for a bit.  

I've been meaning to ask this here for everyone. Let's say Cosmi continues to play well at RG during training camp/preseason. The team wants to extend him.

How much would you guys be willing to pay a RG? Top of the market is I think $21 million a year?

41 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

I've been meaning to ask this here for everyone. Let's say Cosmi continues to play well at RG during training camp/preseason. The team wants to extend him.

How much would you guys be willing to pay a RG? Top of the market is I think $21 million a year?

$80 Mil over 4. Lets send a message right away that this new regime values its players. Last thing we wanna do is eff around like Ron did with Trent Williams.

Edited by Warhead36

1 hour ago, skinny21 said:

Operating under the premise Daniels gets signed to a big second contract, there’s two time periods to consider IMO - the window before Daniels’ big pay day, and the time period after.  I think the picks will become more important as time goes on as we have to use them to replace signing and re-signing expensive players.  So, in a way, I feel like our picks this next year are our least important.  I’m hesitant about the idea of spending big and giving up picks for Aiyuk, but due to my point above, plus factoring in that his contract would be up before paying Daniels big… well, it’s not necessarily a “no” for me.

Another hang up for me is OT.  Not in terms of saving money to pay for one, but until make substantial strides on the OL, I feel like adding quality pass catchers only gets you so far.

I wouldn’t worry about Jahan as we control him for 3 more years, and Davis probably won’t be a factor, but who knows.  St Juste and Forrest though, along with Cosmi (our single must re-sign at the moment), could add up.  I could also see Chinn earning a fairly hefty contract, and we’ll have to figure out DE, along w/ other miscellaneous signings.  Maybe we land a pricey OT.  Really though, I believe we’re projected at 87mil in space for next year, so not sure money is too much of a concern for a bit.  

We definitely need a OT. This doesn't change that.

The Eagles are paying a LT, QB and 2 WRs one of which was the highest paid for a minute.

I'm not in favor of trading for BA one tiny bit, but the money has no impact on that.

5 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

We definitely need a OT. This doesn't change that.

The Eagles are paying a LT, QB and 2 WRs one of which was the highest paid for a minute.

I'm not in favor of trading for BA one tiny bit, but the money has no impact on that.

Yeah, like I said, not in terms of money, but I’m just not sure we should start the “all in” process before figuring out how/when we’re going to bolster the oline.

53 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Yeah, like I said, not in terms of money, but I’m just not sure we should start the “all in” process before figuring out how/when we’re going to bolster the oline.

Top 10/15 players rarely come open very often, so you have to be able to take advantage when you can. 

Also, adding to one position group doesn't negate our ability to fix another. If Wirfs was somehow available and we had the money to sign him or Aiyuk, I'd agree with your point, but we could trade a 2&3 for BA and still be able to trade a 1rst for Trent and pay him just fine.

$80 Mil over 4. Lets send a message right away that this new regime values its players. Last thing we wanna do is eff around like Ron did with Trent Williams.

You mean Scherff? Moses too.

Trent was already eff'd around by Bruce Allen and Dan Snyder. The failed handling of Trent happened 1 to 1.5 years before Ron took over. But honestly, after comments his wife made, I think Trent was just done with a Snyder owned team and wanted out. Which is fair. We can criticize Ron's trade value he gained from Trent, but not the handling of Trent. That ship had already sailed.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Top 10/15 players rarely come open very often, so you have to be able to take advantage when you can. 

Also, adding to one position group doesn't negate our ability to fix another. If Wirfs was somehow available and we had the money to sign him or Aiyuk, I'd agree with your point, but we could trade a 2&3 for BA and still be able to trade a 1rst for Trent and pay him just fine.

The first paragraph is one of the reasons why I’d consider Aiyuk.  

The second misses my point again actually (probably my bad).  I’m not talking about the resources, it’s the timing that I’m not sure I agree with.  And it’s not something I’m set on or anything, just feel like it might make more sense to get an OL in place we can compete with first, otherwise we’re wasting part of the receiver contract.  Or do both in the same offseason 🤷‍♂️

If anybody starts re-litigating the whole Trent situation again for the thousandth time in here I’m going to pledge my life to learning how to hack specifically to delete your accounts 

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, lovemaskins said:

Sorry for being slightly off topic guys, but I think Dyami Brown is due for a breakout too. 

Had to share! 

Brown is garbage. My prediction is he gets cut end of camp.

• Thumb up 1

4 hours ago, skinny21 said:

The first paragraph is one of the reasons why I’d consider Aiyuk.  

The second misses my point again actually (probably my bad).  I’m not talking about the resources, it’s the timing that I’m not sure I agree with.  And it’s not something I’m set on or anything, just feel like it might make more sense to get an OL in place we can compete with first, otherwise we’re wasting part of the receiver contract.  Or do both in the same offseason 🤷‍♂️

Your point isn't being missed, it's just trash. It's wrong. If anything, having a WR who lives in the middle and excels at contested catches, while also making the run game much better with his blocking, helps the OL deficiency greatly.