Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AO: The Life and Death of the American Mall

China

17 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

That was in Fair Oaks?  Don't remember it.  Maybe that's what became the EBX I knew.

Yeah, I remember it was downstairs near the Lourde and Taylor entrance.  The last I remember seeing it was maybe early 2000s, I think it did turn into EBX.  Not sure whats there now

4 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Yeah, I remember it was downstairs near the Lourde and Taylor entrance.  The last I remember seeing it was maybe early 2000s, I think it did turn into EBX.  Not sure whats there now

The EBX I knew was on the top floor right next to Sears (err, the space that used to be Sears and is now empty... or did it finally fill out with a golf shop or something?)
I remember going with my friend to pick up Steel Battalion for the XBOX back in the day.

Anyone else play that?
steel-battalion-1-xbox-controller-with-p

Dan Bell's Dead Mall Series. He's from Baltimore and visits dying malls up and down the east coast. My brother is friends with him and has given him places to check out over the years, such as an abandoned motel on 301 near Bel Alton, MD.

• Like 1

1. I worked next to the Manassas Mall during Covid, even when all of the stores were closed, people were still walking around the mall. When the stores opened back up, there were quite a lot of people in the mall, I was surprised. Now, I used to work in the mall 20 years ago, I remember what it was like at it's peak. It was nowhere near that when I was last there (April of 2021), but it was doing pretty well for a Friday afternoon.

2. There is nothing to do at the mall anymore, why would kids want to hang out there? I remember being a teen and the security guards would chase us off the benches, wouldn't let us "loiter" around. Ha! I bet they would LOVE to have some teen loiterers now...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Simmsy said:

1. I worked next to the Manassas Mall during Covid, even when all of the stores were closed, people were still walking around the mall. When the stores opened back up, there were quite a lot of people in the mall, I was surprised. Now, I used to work in the mall 20 years ago, I remember what it was like at it's peak. It was nowhere near that when I was last there (April of 2021), but it was doing pretty well for a Friday afternoon.

2. There is nothing to do at the mall anymore, why would kids want to hang out there? I remember being a teen and the security guards would chase us off the benches, wouldn't let us "loiter" around. Ha! I bet they would LOVE to have some teen loiterers now...

They've got a bowling alley, arcade, and go-carts all right next to each other at the Manassas mall, don't they?

I worked at Montgomery Mall from high school through summer breaks from college.  I was back in Bethesda a couple years ago and now it's Westfield Shopping Center.... still viable, but unrecognizable - having worked there for so many years I could make out the floor plan and see if any of the original stores were still around (nope). Like @China I used to go to White Flint mall all the time for movies.  There was an ES meetup about 10 years ago at the Dave and Busters there and I was shocked at how few things still remained- I think it was down to just restaurants and the theater. And, yeah, it was completely gone when I popped by 2 years ago.

Edited by Riggo-toni

1 hour ago, PokerPacker said:

They've got a bowling alley, arcade, and go-carts all right next to each other at the Manassas mall, don't they?

Go karts/bowling alley/pool hall/arcade. I went there when it first opened, it was terrible. Killed some time there during the day while Sears (this was several years ago) gave me an alignment. Its definitely more like a Dave and Busters kinda thing now than the adult bar I went to when it first opened.

20 hours ago, Riggo-toni said:

I worked at Montgomery Mall from high school through summer breaks from college.  I was back in Bethesda a couple years ago and now it's Westfield Shopping Center.... still viable, but unrecognizable - having worked there for so many years I could make out the floor plan and see if any of the original stores were still around (nope). Like @China I used to go to White Flint mall all the time for movies.  There was an ES meetup about 10 years ago at the Dave and Busters there and I was shocked at how few things still remained- I think it was down to just restaurants and the theater. And, yeah, it was completely gone when I popped by 2 years ago.

Did you go to WJ? I used to hang out at Monty Mall back in the day. I remember when White Flint opened and all of the moms would go shopping at Bloomies.

• Like 1