Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Last of Us - Season 1

PleaseBlitz

10 minutes ago, max21 said:

Loved last nights episode but I felt it was a bit too predictable, still really enjoyed it. Was Henry in the game? 

Yeah Sam and Henry were both in the game.  

I'm going to put this in spoiler because the title of the video is a spoiler if you haven't seen last nights episode.  But it's pretty cool to see this from a 10 year old game and to see how similar the game is to what they are putting into the show.  This is from the original TLOU not the remake they put out last year so it's got the original graphics.

Spoiler

• Like 1

Continually impressed by the show. The change from

the game to spend 20 years with Bill/Frank blew me away but it might be an even greater feat to stick so close to the game in episodes 4-5 for an arc that still left me floored despite knowing what was coming. 

For people that are used to TWD or something similar, this isn’t the kind of show where a villain is introduced and stays for a season or 2-3 that has to be defeated. That’s just not what it’s trying to do. Every encounter and small story within the show/game is trying to make you ask what would you do. Are you empathetic enough to see multiple sides to it? Who are the good guys and who are the bad guys? Is there such a thing? What actually is right and wrong in this world, anyway, when seemingly every action originates from a place of love. How love or the loss of it motivates the characters and influences their action and thus the consequences and events that play out on an uncaring world 

I had high expectations but I’m genuinely surprised how much of the thought provoking and inner reflection has been maintained or even expounded upon in the show. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Another solid episode, though I think Joel is wrong. He said that wasn't the way it used to be before the zombies. He's wrong. That's the way it was in the Wild West. Minus the dam power.

It looked like a little bit of paradise in the town, but the gallows have me wondering.

8 hours ago, NickyJ said:

Another solid episode, though I think Joel is wrong. He said that wasn't the way it used to be before the zombies. He's wrong. That's the way it was in the Wild West. Minus the dam power.

I think he was referring to right before the infected, not centuries ago lol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, NickyJ said:

It looked like a little bit of paradise in the town, but the gallows have me wondering.

I didn’t see any gallows. Where were those?

I didn’t think gallows. And then later they say they have a jail but have no need for it 

this was the Joel episode imo. His stuff with Tommy and Ellie was so good and Pedro Pascal really nailed it. That breaking down scene discussing his failure and fears was something you rarely see from a lead male character. Loved the writing. 

Also enjoyed the idea that Joel’s dreams of failing and watching Sarah die again and again, or Ellie die again and again, or hell even himself dying and that being the failure is a subtle nod to the game. That is well done 

• Like 3

This show does the small, subtle details to perfection. Every episode has a number of them...slight, momentary moments that say sooooo damn much. In episode 5 I loved how they had Henry constantly involving Sam in all discussions even when he didn't need to. Ellie asks Henry how old Sam is, and Henry then signs to Sam asking him how old he is instead of just telling them his age. Joel asks Henry how they are going to get past the paremeters of the city, and Henry bangs on the table to get Sam's attention, then asks Sam the same question...and sam writes "Tunnels" on his etch-a-sketch. Henry could have just told Joel himself, but wanted Sam to always be part of everything.

In this last episode after Joel and Ellie reconcile and are on horseback, Ellie's asking Joel about what he did for a living before the fungus outbreak. For a second or two right before the show cuts to a different visual, Ellie lays her head gently against Joel's back and smiles. It was touching and underscored her "Everyone I ever cared about has died or left me" speech and how grateful she was that Joel didn't leave. I didn't even notice it the first time...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

This show does the small, subtle details to perfection. Every episode has a number of them...slight, momentary moments that say sooooo damn much. In episode 5 I loved how they had Henry constantly involving Sam in all discussions even when he didn't need to. Ellie asks Henry how old Sam is, and Henry then signs to Sam asking him how old he is instead of just telling them his age. Joel asks Henry how they are going to get past the paremeters of the city, and Henry bangs on the table to get Sam's attention, then asks Sam the same question...and sam writes "Tunnels" on his etch-a-sketch. Henry could have just told Joel himself, but wanted Sam to always be part of everything.

In this last episode after Joel and Ellie reconcile and are on horseback, Ellie's asking Joel about what he did for a living before the fungus outbreak. For a second or two right before the show cuts to a different visual, Ellie lays her head gently against Joel's back and smiles. It was touching and underscored her "Everyone I ever cared about has died or left me" speech and how grateful she was that Joel didn't leave. I didn't even notice it the first time...

Not sure if you caught this part but guessing you did and I really enjoyed another subtle moment.

When they approach the damn and Ellie is being a kid asking a ton of questions, before she can ask how it worked, Joel is like "don't even ask, I have no idea" and she then says "you know you could have lied to me and made something up, I would have believed you."

Then later on right at the scene you were referring to on the horse, and she is asking him about what he did before the infection, he talks about being a contractor.  Then Ellie says something along the lines of like "did people like you for what you did?" and he hesitates for a second and is like "yeah, people love contractors" with this smirk on his face, and he's CLEARLY lying to her, but she has no clue.  I think this might have been the conversation RIGHT before she put her head on his back.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Not sure if you caught this part but guessing you did and I really enjoyed another subtle moment.

When they approach the damn and Ellie is being a kid asking a ton of questions, before she can ask how it worked, Joel is like "don't even ask, I have no idea" and she then says "you know you could have lied to me and made something up, I would have believed you."

Then later on right at the scene you were referring to on the horse, and she is asking him about what he did before the infection, he talks about being a contractor.  Then Ellie says something along the lines of like "did people like you for what you did?" and he hesitates for a second and is like "yeah, people love contractors" with this smirk on his face, and he's CLEARLY lying to her, but she has no clue.  I think this might have been the conversation RIGHT before she put her head on his back.

I did NOT catch that lol...that's clever. 👍

My way too early take on LOU season 1 is that it’s failing to live up to its potential based exclusively on the pace of the show dictated by HBO. 9 episodes is way too short to do a thorough job on character development. The flip side of this is you have shows like Walking Dead that had plot lines just drag out forever in some cases, so I’m definitely not arguing for that. But I think season one could easily have been 15+ episodes, possibly even breaking the first game into two separate 10 episode seasons. 

Everything about the show is damn near perfect. They’re just leaving me wanting *more* of it, and it’s going to end so quickly at its current pace. 

Edited by TheGoodBits
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, TheGoodBits said:

My way too early take on LOU season 1 is that it’s failing to live up to its potential based exclusively on the pace of the show dictated by HBO. 9 episodes is way too short to do a thorough job on character development. The flip side of this is you have shows like Walking Dead that had plot lines just drag out forever in some cases, so I’m definitely not arguing for that. But I think season one could easily have been 15+ episodes, possibly even breaking the first game into two separate 10 episode seasons. 

Everything about the show is damn near perfect. They’re just leaving me wanting *more* of it, and it’s going to end so quickly at its current pace. 

I understand where you are coming from but I think they are happy to leave people wanting more rather than overstaying their welcome. I love the pacing of the show, it just moves and doesn’t linger in the same spot for long. It’s a tough dynamic adapting the game where for example you might be with Henry and Sam for hours and hours just because of gameplay repetition . So it’s interesting losing that but I don’t feel like any story has felt rushed or incomplete. I’m actually really blown away how they’ve packed so much depth and nuance into so many characters while maintained the forward momentum of the narrative intact. Lesser shows would have to spend an episode or two where nothing happens in order to build the bonds between characters or provide adequate motivations and arcs. It’s a credit to the writing that they’ve managed to do that so effectively and efficiently. 

I do have some concerns about the final 3 episodes, mainly that there is a lot to cover in them but this show has delivered so far. 

spoilers for games 1-2. 

Spoiler

Have they released the runtime of the remaining episodes? I feel like the end of the game will have to take place across 2 episodes or one hour and a half episode. That would leave the Joel recovery, David introduction and Ellie capture/rescue to episodes 7-8 which is enough time to do that justice. 

I am a little worried that they might continue the way they are humanizing more the traditional enemies from the game like the hunters, with David and his camp. I get it. It’s one of the core themes of the series, empathy and putting yourself in someone else’s shoes, the moral gray that everyone in this world lives within etc. however, since so much of Part 2 is focused on this idea, I’m worried that it will lose the impact since I feel like they’re hitting that same note so many times in season 1. Obviously it won’t be to the degree that Part 2/season 2 will be but it’s just a thought I had after the Kathleen episode. So many time, a person is a hero or a villain based on when we first see them in their story. I’m so excited to see how they handle the second season i guess I’m preemptively worrying. I think I’d like David and his group just to be evil cannibals or rapists depending on how you interpret that part of the game. 

so much of the success of this season will rest on how they handle the David arc as that’s the final brick in the Joel/Ellie foundation and will give them a lot of momentum rolling into the big conclusion. If they botch it they could stumble across the finish line 

1 hour ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I understand where you are coming from but I think they are happy to leave people wanting more rather than overstaying their welcome. I love the pacing of the show, it just moves and doesn’t linger in the same spot for long. It’s a tough dynamic adapting the game where for example you might be with Henry and Sam for hours and hours just because of gameplay repetition . So it’s interesting losing that but I don’t feel like any story has felt rushed or incomplete. I’m actually really blown away how they’ve packed so much depth and nuance into so many characters while maintained the forward momentum of the narrative intact. Lesser shows would have to spend an episode or two where nothing happens in order to build the bonds between characters or provide adequate motivations and arcs. It’s a credit to the writing that they’ve managed to do that so effectively and efficiently. 

I do have some concerns about the final 3 episodes, mainly that there is a lot to cover in them but this show has delivered so far. 

spoilers for games 1-2. 

Reveal hidden contents

Have they released the runtime of the remaining episodes? I feel like the end of the game will have to take place across 2 episodes or one hour and a half episode. That would leave the Joel recovery, David introduction and Ellie capture/rescue to episodes 7-8 which is enough time to do that justice. 

I am a little worried that they might continue the way they are humanizing more the traditional enemies from the game like the hunters, with David and his camp. I get it. It’s one of the core themes of the series, empathy and putting yourself in someone else’s shoes, the moral gray that everyone in this world lives within etc. however, since so much of Part 2 is focused on this idea, I’m worried that it will lose the impact since I feel like they’re hitting that same note so many times in season 1. Obviously it won’t be to the degree that Part 2/season 2 will be but it’s just a thought I had after the Kathleen episode. So many time, a person is a hero or a villain based on when we first see them in their story. I’m so excited to see how they handle the second season i guess I’m preemptively worrying. I think I’d like David and his group just to be evil cannibals or rapists depending on how you interpret that part of the game. 

so much of the success of this season will rest on how they handle the David arc as that’s the final brick in the Joel/Ellie foundation and will give them a lot of momentum rolling into the big conclusion. If they botch it they could stumble across the finish line 

to elaborate on my concern. Show spoilers. Run times, remaining episode titles and thumbnails  

Spoiler

this makes me really nervous. Next episode will

have a flashback to the DLC, which is fine but takes away from the David story. Finale is shortest episode of season 

960F1344-A049-4FEF-AF79-C6CF13C163AD.thumb.jpeg.41f1223b6d4a316391d5a8a58c12a07f.jpeg

I wasn’t going to watch this, but my wife was interested. I really didn’t want it to ruin any game experiences, but it’s been great. 

my wife has turned into a gamer the past year and a half, she was one 20 years ago, but stopped playing. 

i asked her if she would be willing to play the game after enjoying the show, she said “I imagine it would be boring.” 

time to buy the ps5 version and I already have 2. I’ll get her there.

Edited by Fan since a Fetus
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Not a fan of the whole DLC episode just being thrown in if I'm going to be honest.  I didn't play it but when I saw the "next on" after Sunday's episode, I figured that it was the DLC episode next.

I think they just focused on that for the preview. I think

Spoiler

The Left Behind DLC is just a flashback but they didn’t want to spoil the Joel /Ellie stuff on the next episode preview

could be wrong tho but man it would be wild to put the entire Winter arc in 50 minute episode 

the DLC takes place during the Ellie sequence in the game too as a series of flashbacks while she’s out scavenging for supplies and medicine to help Joel so it makes sense to put it here in the show too 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Thanks 1

I have a question: if the fungus or cordo...cordyse...if the fungus couldn't survive in temps over 94 degrees, how did they adapt to surviving being in biscuits and cookies and cakes which are cooked at like 375 degrees? I know they hinted at global warming causing the fungus to mutate and survive at higher temperatures, but that's a huge jump in temps.

10 minutes ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

I have a question: if the fungus or cordo...cordyse...if the fungus couldn't survive in temps over 94 degrees, how did they adapt to surviving being in biscuits and cookies and cakes which are cooked at like 375 degrees? I know they hinted at global warming causing the fungus to mutate and survive at higher temperatures, but that's a huge jump in temps.

Folks get contaminated by the spores in the flour during the preparation of the baked goods, when the flour is flying around dispersed in the air, not by eating the cooked product.