Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per ESPN: D.C. AG files suit vs. Daniel Snyder, Commanders, Roger Goodell, NFL

TheGreatBuzz

16 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I've read very little about the substance, so I don't have a legal theory or any legal opinion on the matter.  As a dumb**** on a WFT message board who may have already had a drink, I think it's a stretch. 

And as a gentleman sitting under the ventilation fan in his bathroom smoking a bowl, let me thank you for saving me the research. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, The Almighty Buzz said:

I know you don't like giving free legal theory but what is your thoughts on the substance of an AG going after a team and a "non-profit" in the NFL for what basically not airing their dirty laundry?

The NFL dropped the non-profit exemption in 2015.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, The Almighty Buzz said:

I've been flipping through ESPN and NFL Network and neither has mentioned this at all.  Kinda surprised.

You shouldn't be surprised that the NFL network hasn't mentioned it.  They are notorious from not covering bad news about the NFL unless it's completely unavoidable.  The NFL only wants to promote the best side of itself.

• Like 3

It's a consumer protection lawsuit.  In essence a false advertisement allegation (NFL, Commanders and Snyder false represented to DC consumers that there would be an actual independent investigation and in reality Snyder meddled etc).  

It's a nothingburger with respect to the NFL and the sale in two sense.  NFL can always say we tried to run an independent investigation and what Snyder did to interfere was never sanctioned by us.  Blame him, not us.

More to the point, the penalty is 5K per lie.  While it may be embarrassing to the league for there to be a finding of a consumer law violation, money-wise, it aspires to be a drop in a bucket in a multi-billion dollar deal.

I'm sure the incoming AG really appreciates the outgoing AG dropping this novel theory lawsuit on their lap during the last days of office (/s).  Once the new AG is in, NFL would probably do well to approach and work out a resolution where NFL admits no wrongdoing but makes a generous donation to promote inclusive workplace culture and end the case.

• Like 3

The D.C. Attorney General has decided to go after the NFL and the Washington Commanders. In doing so, Karl Racine’s office will be making creative use of the District’s consumer protection laws.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/11/11/d-c-attorney-generals-lawsuit-against-nfl-and-commanders-makes-creative-use-of-consumer-protection-laws/

On 11/10/2022 at 2:39 PM, China said:

You shouldn't be surprised that the NFL network hasn't mentioned it.  They are notorious from not covering bad news about the NFL unless it's completely unavoidable.  The NFL only wants to promote the best side of itself.

Wouldn't that open them up to a lawsuit? lol...

On 11/10/2022 at 2:43 PM, bearrock said:

It's a consumer protection lawsuit.  In essence a false advertisement allegation (NFL, Commanders and Snyder false represented to DC consumers that there would be an actual independent investigation and in reality Snyder meddled etc).  

It's a nothingburger with respect to the NFL and the sale in two sense.  NFL can always say we tried to run an independent investigation and what Snyder did to interfere was never sanctioned by us.  Blame him, not us.

More to the point, the penalty is 5K per lie.  While it may be embarrassing to the league for there to be a finding of a consumer law violation, money-wise, it aspires to be a drop in a bucket in a multi-billion dollar deal.

I'm sure the incoming AG really appreciates the outgoing AG dropping this novel theory lawsuit on their lap during the last days of office (/s).  Once the new AG is in, NFL would probably do well to approach and work out a resolution where NFL admits no wrongdoing but makes a generous donation to promote inclusive workplace culture and end the case.

My biggest concern is that this lawsuit ends up being ruled in Snyder's favor (or completely thrown out), validating Snyder's stance of a witch hunt/political grandstanding by the outgoing AG...which could by proxy "validate" a number of his other proclamations. No one wants to hear "Snyder was right" about anything lol.

5 hours ago, EmirOfShmo said:

Much like the sale of the Nats I think the sale of the Commanders is going to screw up the 2023 seasons for both teams. Nats Spring Training is less than 100 days from today with the start of the 2023 NFL free agency a little over 130 days. 

Er, how high were your expectations in 2023 for the Commanders absent the sale?

Hell, one or two 3 wins seasons would probably be a blessing to infuse some superstars. 

51 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Hell, one or two 3 wins seasons would probably be a blessing to infuse some superstars. 

Well, that's hard to say. Is RR returning? Is the FO staying the same? Does Howell light it up the last xx games of 2022? Who do they draft? What FA's do they sign? There's tons of open questions just about the existing team. Toss in new ownership that may not happen until after key 2023 NFL dates? No telling what happens to the team - good or bad. 

22 minutes ago, EmirOfShmo said:

Well, that's hard to say. Is RR returning? Is the FO staying the same? Does Howell light it up the last xx games of 2022? Who do they draft? What FA's do they sign? There's tons of open questions just about the existing team. Toss in new ownership that may not happen until after key 2023 NFL dates? No telling what happens to the team - good or bad. 

Please keep the football talk in the Stadium.

13 minutes ago, The Almighty Buzz said:

Please keep the football talk in the Stadium.

Gotcha. I was asked:

And responded. Not sure how we separate the 2 but ...

12 minutes ago, EmirOfShmo said:

Gotcha. I was asked:

And responded. Not sure how we separate the 2 but ...

Answer like "XX wins max" or "too early too tell" would probably avoid attention. I just don't want to get this closed and have to venture into the Stadium.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...