Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RNS: Disgraced pastor Ted Haggard faces new allegations

China

Disgraced pastor Ted Haggard faces new allegations

Former Colorado megachurch pastor Ted Haggard, who fell from grace in 2006 after a gay sex-and-drug scandal, is now facing some of the same allegations at another church.

Haggard, 66, is being accused of using methamphetamine and behaving inappropriately with young men at St. James Church in Colorado Springs, Colorado, a church he founded in 2010, The Denver Gazette reported.

A onetime president of the National Association of Evangelicals, Haggard resigned from New Life Church in Colorado Springs in the wake of a scandal involving a Denver male prostitute. Haggard admitted at the time that he bought methamphetamine and paid the prostitute for massages. Later, it also emerged he’d had an inappropriate relationship with a young man at the megachurch he founded.

Haggard went through a “spiritual restoration” process, and his wife, Gayle, wrote a book about the experience, called “Why I Stayed.” (New Life Church continues under the leadership of Brady Boyd.)

The most recent allegations were made by Kirk “Seth” Sethman, who was ordained as a minister by St. James Church in 2012. Sethman recorded the statements of two young adult men who said Haggard touched them inappropriately on several occasions at the church. One of them was a minor at the time the touching began in 2019.

Sethman said he first approached church elders with allegations about Haggard in 2020.

Click on the link for the full article

• Haha 2
  • Thumb up 1

Gosh, something about churches and the gullibility they must possess to keep letting these people in.
it's almost like they believed in magic spooky dust and other assorted fairies.

Hard to believe. I mean, unless he can bring in megabucks before he gets caught.

~Bang

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Bang said:

Gosh, something about churches and the gullibility they must possess to keep letting these people in.
it's almost like they believed in magic spooky dust and other assorted fairies.

Hard to believe. I mean, unless he can bring in megabucks before he gets caught.

~Bang

Apparently he can't do that anymore.  From the article:

St. James has declined in membership in recent years and earlier this year sold its building. Haggard is still head pastor but has moved the church’s services and study sessions to his home and is now calling his new congregation the Storyhouse Church.

• Haha 4

I think your attempt to smear all people who become religious leaders is, well, disgusting?  

However, this particular person?  Is he the one who got revealed as gay, and then got pronounced as "miraculously cured" or whatever phrase they used, like 4 hours after he signed all the church and assets over to the two priests who pronounced him cured?  

• Thumb down 1

35 minutes ago, Larry said:

However, this particular person?  Is he the one who got revealed as gay, and then got pronounced as "miraculously cured" or whatever phrase they used, like 4 hours after he signed all the church and assets over to the two priests who pronounced him cured?  

I don't think so. Haggard was found to have been paying at least one man for sex and meth. The New Life Church fired him. He runs a new church in that area now. I remember it being all over the news daily in Colorado then. His defense at one point was "Yeah I bought the meth but threw it away immediately". 😂

4 hours ago, Larry said:

I think your attempt to smear all people who become religious leaders is, well, disgusting?

oh, certainly not all. But 50 percent of them, definitely, 75 percent probably.

4 hours ago, Larry said:

he the one who got revealed as gay, and then got pronounced as "miraculously cured" or whatever phrase they used, like 4 hours after he signed all the church and assets over to the two priests who pronounced him cured?  

Well we have just went 3/3 on religious leaders who deserve to get smeared. Hmmm…. Shocking? I think not.

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84